Family Guy (best animated show ever related)

Comments

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Word.

I think Family Guy is funnier than the Simpsons.

NO fuckin way dude [/b]

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    ---------------

• yah know that "Boondocks" is coming to Adult Swim in October, right? Could be the next classic. And lets be real. The first 3 seasons of Family Guy are alot funnier than The Simpsons has been in a loooong time. Quagmire quotes alone keep me on the floor. But South Park has got to be the most consistent of all. The Little League episode with the Karate Kid music??? Instant classic. I like King of the Hill cause its good, especially when there's nothing else to watch, you know some channel will have it on at any given time. And is there no love for Beavis and Butthead? What about Ren & Stimpy?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Family Guy is to MAD TV as The Simpsons is to SNL. Period.

cosign. family guy is officially some little dude shit. really the most predictable, uninspired, derivative, heartless garbage on tv. people act like it's some great triumph for modern entertainment that it's back on tv, but there's a reason it got cancelled - it wasn't very good, and there's a reason it was resurrected - $$$$$. family guy has easily marketable characters that look good with a one liner on a t-shirt. otherwise it's like a friends for the college audience and further justification to outsiders that animated television is somehow less than, while shows like the infinitely more consistant and funny futurama, fall to the wayside.

this dude better articulates what i'm trying to say:

http://www.blacktable.com/grierson050516.htm

making the claim that family guy is better than the simpsons is like saying that kweli is better than tribe.

and yes, i'm really excited for the boondocks cartoon but i'll hold my classic status until i see it, since it's been years since the strip's been dope (i want less doonsbury and more peanuts). As i understand it mcgruder has been saving more of the character driven storylines for the series, which can only be a good thing. because huey holding up a "fuck bush" sign will not hold up for very long. i also hope the animation is up to par, because the comic has a very unique style that might be hard to capture with american animation standards so low as of late.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    it's funnier than SNL. c'mon man, on SNL they always start out with a president related sketch. not feeling it.

although snl sucks right now mad tv still is not as good as snl

i hope snl gets better, iam glad they don't have jimmy falon anymore, and the rest of the cast is kinda weak, i really miss

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    i'm not gonna front they did have some funny ish on the show. that god damn robert goulet w/ ram was hilarious.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    thats honestly the first time I've ever heard anyone express anything other than utter contempt for MAD TV... everyone always wonders why its been on so many years, the most unfunny comedy show on television...

and yes, american dad is a real stinker too. can't wait for that one to get cancelled... they BEST bring arrested development back...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    thats honestly the first time I've ever heard anyone express anything other than utter contempt for MAD TV... everyone always wonders why its been on so many years, the most unfunny comedy show on television...

don't get it twisted. i think mad tv is terrible.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I dont understand how yall hate on south park. That show has never been not funny.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I just really fucking hope that American Dad and Family Guy dont take ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT's spot, which seems very possible. Now Arrested Development, that shit is funny, in a real way.

• OK I wasn't gonna post in this thread but

while shows like the infinitely more consistant and funny futurama, fall to the wayside.

Seriously?
    Futurama is like 99% sight gags and corny puns. I think I've laughed out loud at it, like, twice.
    Family Guy's constant pop-culture references and A.D.D. non-sequiturs do get old, but at least Peter is always hilarious

(.............and then it dawned on him: he was arguing about CARTOONS)

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    whoa, I have those headphones

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    arrested development is funny....and clever.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I just really fucking hope that American Dad and Family Guy dont take ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT's spot, which seems very possible. Now Arrested Development, that shit is funny, in a real way.

I just heard on my lunch break Arrested Development is not being cancelled after all

Crisis averted

• Options
    Quagmire: "Hi Meg, 18 yet?"

Otis' avatar was the funniest shit I saw on that show, saw it when I was high and was crying.

The episodes where Brian the dog developed a coke problem were insaen too.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Seinfeld.

Most over-rated show ever.
    Shit is just plain annoying, I can't believe Fox are still running it.

• Seriously?
    Futurama is like 99% sight gags

so?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Seriously?
    Futurama is like 99% sight gags and corny puns. I think I've laughed out loud at it, like, twice.
    Family Guy's constant pop-culture references and A.D.D. non-sequiturs do get old, but at least Peter is always hilarious

but it's those a.d.d. non sequiters that have viewers conditioned to expect less traditional writing standards from animated comedy. you know like character development (or even writing characters that were at all compelling in the first place) and story arc. despite being set 2000 years in the future and being animated, futurama is written with attention to these traditonal (non animated) standards. not to mention that futurama is visually far more enjoyable than family guy, which is drawn like shit. and i'm sure the creators would say that it's done that way "for effect", or whatever, but that still doesn't mean i'm gonna like it.

some of us prefer sight gags and corny puns to "hey he mentioned breakin 2 electric boogaloo, isn't that funny? i remember that movie" ironic pop culture references. there was a interesting (although not entirely accurate) nytimes A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/22/fashion/sundaystyles/22joke.html?" target="new">article/A> about the death of the traditional joke. humor has become this weird sarcastic post modern beast where jokes (or gags or puns) aren't even considered funny anymore.

exactly what's so hillarious a complete idiot who does stupid shit with no punchline (and then flashes back to a time when he did something else stupid)? i know the obvious point of reference is homer simpson but in that shows prime, homer also had flashes of intelligence, decency and most importantly heart.

(.............and then it dawned on him: he was arguing about CARTOONS)

your point being? heads can argue about records around here all day long. the people who create (should) take their craft as serious as a musician. why shouldn't the fans do the same?

and arrested just got renewed for two seasons

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    I love the simpsons, and they are part of my blood, i exist in their cartoon universe, but if there is a ratio for gags per minute, GPM or G/M or something like that, Family Guy and South Park absolutely destroy the simpsons. I'm seriously a geek, and unless you are a cartoon geek, dont just say "oh simpsons are better" if you haven't watched the last three years of the simpsons, and south park. South Park in MY opinion is the BEST political entertainment pop culture referencing show in the last 3 years. If you haven't seen every episode of the last 4 seasons, don't even bother debating my comment. A lot of people have the impression that show is like it was when it first came out when the killing of kenny and the swearing and the gross out jokes were all the entertainment.

But the genius of that show lately, my god its uncanny. From spoofing goths, sars, psp, anime, christian rock bands like creed, missy elliot, puff daddy's vote or die campaign, will smith and snoop as yuppies, reality shows, boy bands, passion of christ, blockbuster movies, and all kinds of sheit, the show is amazing. In many episodes they portray right wing politics vs left politics under the guise of trivial pop culture fads and make parallels that go over so many people's heads. they make a lot of worthy points on BOTH sides. I implore you to watch season 5,6,7,8 and 9. and tell me you're not a converted fan. Its wierd to say but its one of the most intelligent shows out there. they are the only show in recent memory i can recall that keep peaking, they haven't hit their climax yet. and yeah i thought team america was god awful.

family guy is witty as phuck...its the perfect show for my generation and if you liken it to music, its obcure references remind me of nicely chosen samples that you think only YOU get...but we all do.

ps: there is no family guy or south park without the simpsons. actually, there is no comdedy central, aqua teen etc etc without the simpsons.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    South Park in MY opinion is the BEST political entertainment pop culture referencing show

there have been some great episodes of south park over the years, i feel that it's the type of show when they're on, it's incredible, but when they're off (which is more often than i'd like it to be) the show is just awful. i don't really watch it that often, but i will say those guys are brilliant at times.

family guy is witty as phuck...

riiiiight

Main Entry: wit??ty[/b]

Pronunciation: 'wi-tE

Function: adjective

Inflected Form(s): wit??ti??er; -est[/b]

1[/b] archaic : having good intellectual capacity : INTELLIGENT[/b]

2[/b] : amusingly or ingeniously clever in conception or execution

3[/b] : marked by or full of wit : smartly facetious or jocular

4[/b] : quick or ready to see or express illuminating or amusing relationships or insights

its the perfect show for my generation and if you liken it to music, its obcure references remind me of nicely chosen samples that you think only YOU get...but we all do.

honestly man if you're listening to music because you think it's cool that you have a leg up on humanity because of your knowledege of obscure samples, then you're probably doing it for the wrong reasons.

and even so there's a large difference between recontextualizing a soul record and wholely jacking a bit from Porkys or whatever 80s nostalgic bullshit macfarlanes on for the next episode. there's a HUGE difference between collage and parody, although they overlap from time to time.

actually, there is no comdedy central, aqua teen etc etc without the simpsons.

you're oversimplifying. (i'm assuming you meant cartoon network and not comedy central, btw) simpsons is hugely influential (especially in the case of FG, which is completely derivative) and opened doors for the idea of prime time cartoons (but for that matter the flinstones deserves a nod too). but if you're talking content/style, you're overlooking a few other equally influential early 90s shows (most notably get a life, which was a huge influence on mid era simpsons and ren & stimpy, which many of the cartoon network originals borrow greatly from, for better or worse)

holy psychoanalysis,

right there's four defintions of witty according to what you posted so why only bold one defintion when others are relevant?

honestly man if you're listening to music because you think it's cool that you have a leg up on humanity because of your knowledege of obscure samples, then you're probably doing it for the wrong reasons.

no need to take out your frustration of tones of many posts and music snobbery on this message board on me, but when family guy referenced the canadian television show "you can't do that on television" which i thought no one else knew was aware of (apparently it was broadcasted in the states on nicolodean) that had me on the floor...or when they referenced the episode on different strokes when arnold and his pal watch topless cartoons or when tony from who's the boss caught angela nude showering, that's what im talking about.

you're oversimplifying. (i'm assuming you meant cartoon network and not comedy central, btw) simpsons is hugely influential (especially in the case of FG, which is completely derivative) and opened doors for the idea of prime time cartoons (but for that matter the flinstones deserves a nod too). but if you're talking content/style, you're overlooking a few other equally influential early 90s shows (most notably get a life, which was a huge influence on mid era simpsons and ren & stimpy, which many of the cartoon network originals borrow greatly from, for better or worse)

i was merely stating that the simpsons trailblazed the medium of a cartoon to roger rabit status in terms of adults appreciating the medium. can't recall many cartoons that were mainstream and touched on the type of humour the simpsons dealt with.

peace

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    holy psychoanalysis,

right there's four defintions of witty according to what you posted so why only bold one defintion when others are relevant?

i dunno, that's the way it appears on m-w.com

no need to take out your frustration of tones of many posts and music snobbery on this message board on me,

sorry if i sounded agressive above, not trying to make it anything of a personal attack. the "you" i was speaking of was a hypothetical one for the sake of my argument.

but when family guy referenced the canadian television show "you can't do that on television" which i thought no one else knew was aware of (apparently it was broadcasted in the states on nicolodean) that had me on the floor...or when they referenced the episode on different strokes when arnold and his pal watch topless cartoons or when tony from who's the boss caught angela nude showering, that's what im talking about.

but where's the joke? i can understand that the show makes semi obscure references, i just don't find what's funny about that. there's only slight delight in just recognition.

i was merely stating that the simpsons trailblazed the medium of a cartoon to roger rabit status in terms of adults appreciating the medium. can't recall many cartoons that were mainstream and touched on the type of humour the simpsons dealt with.

i agree, but i think that's a natural reflection of a progression in the the television/entertainment landscape as a whole. in the early 90s fox played a pivotal role in what could be done on a network comedy - married with children (which more or less created the dysfunctional family blueprint), get a life (as i mentioned before and which i cannot stress the importance on the evolution of the simpsons - see the david mirkin connection), ben stiller show (which, for better or worse, definitely had an impact of the random pop culture nature of Family Guy and Mad TV for that matter), in living color, etc. the simpsons were seperate from the pack and trailblazing to an extent in that it was animated, but really it was just a similar approach applied to a different venue.

don't get me wrong, i love the simpsons as much as the next man, but to singlehandly put the fate of modern animation and comedy on them is doing a disservice to many great shows.

i think we're generally agreeing here and i'm nitpicking for semantics and an archaic esque passion for getting the project bloweds of television comedy their proper dues.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts

But the genius of that show lately, my god its uncanny. From spoofing goths, sars, psp, anime, christian rock bands like creed, missy elliot, puff daddy's vote or die campaign, will smith and snoop as yuppies, reality shows, boy bands, passion of christ, blockbuster movies, and all kinds of sheit, the show is amazing. In many episodes they portray right wing politics vs left politics under the guise of trivial pop culture fads and make parallels that go over so many people's heads. they make a lot of worthy points on BOTH sides. I implore you to watch season 5,6,7,8 and 9. and tell me you're not a converted fan. Its wierd to say but its one of the most intelligent shows out there. they are the only show in recent memory i can recall that keep peaking, they haven't hit their climax yet. and yeah i thought team america was god awful.

Good point. I haven't seen Team America yet, but the previews looked absolutely stupid. Combined with the fact that a few Parker/Stone diehards I know even said it blew, I think I'll save the video rental money. Baseketball was a dope one, though. Can't beat the Zuckers. Nice soundtrack, too (ska rock version of "Take On Me"? Yes, plaese!). I mentioned them recently, but no Beavis And Butthead (I liked the Mystery Science Theatre-esque critism with the 90s rock music videos) and Rocko's Modern Life people here?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I haven't seen Team America yet, but the previews looked absolutely stupid.

this was one of the most horrible movies i've ever had the displeasure of viewing and i'm usually pretty open to horrible movies. terrible horrible no good very bad.

Rocko's Modern Life people here?

i remember enjoying this when it was on, but i wonder if it's held up. a definite predecessor to spongebob at the very least.

cool cool, yeah we're on the same wavelength

rockos modern life was good, i loved bobby's world and eek the cat i thought was hilarous. anyone remember the street frogs? that show was the first time i heard hip hop or rap referenced...it was before grade 5's maestro fresh wes's backbone slide christened me. pretty crazy if u think about a show based on hip hop that far back when it was nowhere as commercially huge as it is today...then again kid n' play had their own cartoon...

get a life sounds interesting, can it be hunted on dvd?

Speaking of adult-orientated cartoon work, I remember the movie Bebe's Kids was cool.

*Ton Loc, as the littlest kid* "Yo, it isn't time to go yet" *flashes an arm with expensive looking watches set to different time zones

• DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts
    Speaking of adult-orientated cartoon work, I remember the movie Bebe's Kids was cool.

*Ton Loc, as the littlest kid* "Yo, it isn't time to go yet" *flashes an arm with expensive looking watches set to different time zones

loved that show.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Which Family Guy character are you?

How come no one is brave enough to post their quiz results?

One reason why King Of The Hill is so great is that it is the only positive [non-stereotyped] representation of Southerners, hillbillys and rednecks on tv. All other Southerners are stupid and Gone With The Wind accents.

Plus like the Simpsons it has great stories about a loving but disfunctional family.

I am trying to like Family Guy, but it seems like it is mostly poopy diapers and kicks to the crotch jokes to me. Since all you all say it's so great I will keep watching until I get it.

Dan

My name is Ryan, but people who I never met before usually call me Brian no matter now much I emphasize the abscence of the 'B', which is a pet peeve of mine, so I guess it works tbat way too

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Which Family Guy character are you?

Seriously guys, no love for Home Movies!?!?!?

One of the best shows I've seen in the past few years, period. And the only one that consistently incorporates original (and completely awesome!) music numbers into the episodes.