Family Guy (best animated show ever related)

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I love this show. I love it! And I only recently discovered it, thanks to the helpfulness of young people at my youth centre. I seriously can't get enough of it - is the 4th season on DVD yet over in the States?Which Family Guy character are you?

Comments

• Options
    I think the shows airing right now are the fourth season, the two dvds that were released were seasons 1-3 if I'm not mistaken.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Word.

I think Family Guy is funnier than the Simpsons.

I also think Curb your Enthusiasm is funnier than Seinfeld.

Probably no one else will agree with me but fug it.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Word.

Blasphemy!

Now this is some next level animated comedy:

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Word.

NO fuckin way dude

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Word.

NO fuckin way dude

mabye the simpsons last season or something. but dude, its been on for like 47 years, your talking about an institution.

there would be no family guy were it not for the simpsons.

I think southpark might trump them both however.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    "You know what I haven't had in a while? Big League Chew."

I used to love that stuff. Simulated dip aimed at kids was probably another tobacco company conspiracy or something

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Word.

I also think Curb your Enthusiasm is funnier than Seinfeld.

Probably no one else will agree with me but fug it.

although i do laugh a lot at family guy, i really cant see it lasting as long, or the comedy lasting as long as the simpsons has. simpsons is pretty timeless and solid, family guy works off shit from the 80-now, and im sure in 10 years half the stuff they reference will just seem dated and stupid....the simpsons however is (was) just basically classic comedy, something was funny because it was funny, not because you rememebered and forgot about it.

maybe thats not well put but thats always been how i felt.

also, im pretty bummed that family guy is taking off so much, because really, the simpsons has started to pick up some stuff from it and its really annoying.

but, even after saying all that, i must admit that i do love family guy and probably laugh more at it than the simpsons (although the new family guy episodes have been a bit of a let down so far..but i wasnt expecting much anyway)

all i know is im really glad that they dropped all the stupid world domination/ evil shit that they had going with stewie after about the first season, and made him go from one of the most annoying hot-topic-t-shirtable characters to one of the funniest characters ever ("hey there big guy....what a sooooda?")...uh

have you seen american dad? jesus what were they thinking. that is easily the worst show i have ever seen. i seriously havent laughed once at any of the the three episodes ive seen.

about curb your enthusiasm:

i just now have seen that show, and im kinda inbetween on it...i'd say i like curb your enthusiasm more, but the more i think about it, really i'd say overall i feel equally about both.

but since curb your enthusiasm is new to me and seinfeld is old news, ill go with curb your enthusiasm. hilarious.

one of my favorite lines ever, but i mean..cmon.

one last post, remember the episode where stewie goes off for like 3 minutes on the girl for saying "you are the weakest link, goodbye"? that part seriously destroys me.

wow thats hilarious. probably my favorite family guy moment. actually probably my favorite syndicated tv show moment.

Do you dig King Of The Hill? It has this family-friendly/moral-of-the-story thing to it but Mike Judge is the fuckin man and I like how they make it out to be like Hank is the only relatively sane man in his community

Do you dig King Of The Hill? It has this family-friendly/moral-of-the-story thing to it but Mike Judge is the fuckin man and I like how they make it out to be like Hank is the only relatively sane man in his community

that show doesnt really make me laugh but i like it. my friend hates this show, but im guessing its because it doesnt really NEED to be a cartoon (instead of live-action), like family guy and the simpsons. but i actually like that sort of.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Curb your enthusiasm is alot better then seinfeld. It Is.

and the funniest Family Guy moment IMO is when peter fell down running and was holding his knee in pain, doing that "sucking air through teeth to fight pain" shit for like 30 seconds.

well, yeah, cartoons by tradition have characters that are able to jump of buildings or cliffs, get blown up or something and survive but I like the 'relateable and realistic' humor Mike Judge brings. Beavis and Butthead and Office Space for example

• there would be no family guy were it not for the simpsons.

wha? southpark is usually wack. It has its moments but making fun of retards and celebrities and cussing gets pretty boring to me....and thats all theyve been doing since they started airing! I dont know how many people told me how good team america was, i rented it and fell asleep twice.

i vouch for simpsons and family guy.

does anyone else not dig american dad? shit is pointless.

• merlemerle 39 Posts
    man, watch the first 5 seasons of The Simpsons
    and then name any show, animated or otherwise,
    that was as strong as The Simpsons for so long.

it's the heavyweight champ.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

I used to love that stuff. Simulated dip aimed at kids was probably another tobacco company conspiracy or something

Naw it wasn't. It was invented by Jim Bouton, the barnstorming knuckleball pitcher and author of the baseball classic "Ball 4." Great book, by the way.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I'm just glad family guy is back again. It ws quite disheartening seeing such a great show get cancelled, not once but twice. For sure I thought it was going to drift away in lost tv folklore.........thank God for dvd sales changing the face of network tv.

Best moment to me has to be Peter nursing a half asleep Stewie, the look on his face was golden. Big League chew purple was my shit man....

on the other hand, American Dad should be taken off the air asap.....

Curb just gets better and better every season. It's become almost zen like, their comedic timing....

• Remember that scene where Peter gets out of the shower and pulls of his double chin and says "how'd you get up here?" and puts it down where his balls should be?

mwahahaha that was funny

does anyone else not dig american dad? shit is pointless.

have you seen american dad? jesus what were they thinking. that is easily the worst show i have ever seen. i seriously havent laughed once at any of the the three episodes ive seen.

wha? southpark is usually wack. It has its moments but making fun of retards and celebrities and cussing gets pretty boring to me....and thats all theyve been doing since they started airing!

yeah, i mean it does still make me laugh on occasion but that show is pretty worthless. just like almost everything on comedy central (except chapelle's show)

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yes, absolutely the Simpsons paved the way for South park, family Guy and countless other adult-aimed cartoons that probably haven't made it over here yet. I'm personally a huge south park fan, but the simpons is classic in a more long-lasting sense, as someone else mentioned.

But, having said that, like many other people have said, I too laugh much more at Family Guy - i think this is a mixture of it's more in-your-face style, and the fact that its relatively new to me!

Stewie: Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but you're a total bitch.

?

?

Olivia: You are the weakest link, goodbye. (laughter)
    Stewie: Ha ha ha! Oh gosh that's funny! That's really funny! Do you write your own material? Do you? Because that is so fresh. You are the weakest link goodbye. You know, I've, I've never heard anyone make that joke before. Hmm. You're the first. I've never heard anyone reference, reference that outside the program before. Because that's what she says on the show right? Isn't it? You are the weakest link goodbye. And, and yet you've taken that and used it out of context to insult me in this everyday situation. God what a clever, smart girl you must be, to come up with a joke like that all by yourself. That's so fresh too. Any, any Titanic jokes you want to throw at me too as long as we're hitting these phenomena at the height of their popularity. God you're so funny!

Olivia: You are the weakest link, goodbye. (laughter)
    Stewie: Ha ha ha! Oh gosh that's funny! That's really funny! Do you write your own material? Do you? Because that is so fresh. You are the weakest link goodbye. You know, I've, I've never heard anyone make that joke before. Hmm. You're the first. I've never heard anyone reference, reference that outside the program before. Because that's what she says on the show right? Isn't it? You are the weakest link goodbye. And, and yet you've taken that and used it out of context to insult me in this everyday situation. God what a clever, smart girl you must be, to come up with a joke like that all by yourself. That's so fresh too. Any, any Titanic jokes you want to throw at me too as long as we're hitting these phenomena at the height of their popularity. God you're so funny!

god, that still destroys me. sooo hilarious

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Peter: I told Lois I wouldn't drink
    Quagmire: Don't feel so bad Peter
    Peter: Hey, I never thought of it that way.

Quagmire: Hey there sweetie, how old are you?
    Connie: 16.
    Quagmire: 18? You're first.
    Connie: Mom!
    Quagmire: I like where this is goin'! Giggidy, giggidy, gig-gi-dy!

Naw it wasn't. It was invented by Jim Bouton, the barnstorming knuckleball pitcher and author of the baseball classic "Ball 4." Great book, by the way.

I knew that actually. Brings me back to the days where I would crunch down on those hard ass chewing gums that were packaged with WWF and Upper Deck trading cards. Never read the book, but I was poking fun at those thetruth.com commercials

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Family Guy is to MAD TV as The Simpsons is to SNL. Period.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Family Guy is to MAD TV as The Simpsons is to SNL. Period.

so wait...is MAD TV funny now or something? i'm not quite following you.

it's funnier than SNL. c'mon man, on SNL they always start out with a president related sketch. not feeling it.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    it's funnier than SNL. c'mon man, on SNL they always start out with a president related sketch. not feeling it.

i just haven't seen MAD TV in forever is all. maybe i'll have to check it out. i haven't even paid attention to SNL since i don't know when. i wonder if it will ever get better?

alright. i haven't seen mad tv since march (i don't have cable) but it had it's moments. snl will get better when it gets more 'hood'. old in living color fans don't want watch the same dry ass sketches.