1993 Rapp - what got play where you stay?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    There was this store in Little Five Points that sold custom-embroidered skullies--just a word or, at most, two across the front--and I remember my friend Katie's little brother Josh rocking a purple one that said the word "P**NIS" on it to coordinate with his purple Pumas.

That may have crossed the line from hip-hop fashion into some sort of other fashion.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Diamond D - U Cant Front(Shit Is Real)

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Diamond D - U Cant Front(Shit Is Real)

(Shit Is Real)

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    lets see, 1993?

Doggystyle, Midnight marauders, ummm....i think i had a spice one tape. C-bo. Umm..Domino, Rappin 4 tay? thats all i can really remember, and i think the only one i really went out and bought was doggystyle. I was pretty young too.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Yo-Yo - You better ask somebody.

I really thought the production on this album was great(QD3 and Baker Boyz)
    It's quality still holds up for me.

oh yeah, and cypress hill. and the Dogg Pound Album when that came out.

and the Dogg Pound Album when that came out.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i had this Cypress hill tshirt with their first logo on the front (red one, cartoon style) and "the phunky cypress hill shit" on the back.

both prints were fucking huge, as was the shirt.

i thought i was the bees knees.

anyway, headed into the city one night and this big Tongan dude decides he liked my shirt, so he steps to me and smacks me in the head, then trys to pull my shirt off Happy Gilmore style over my head, im bleeding all over the place, cant see shit and just start swinging, ended up connecting and then kicking him in the sack, then running away... weeks later, dude rocks into the record store im working in (wearing the shirt- told you i thought i was cool) and asks me if he can order the shirt!?!

we ended up hanging out and swapping cds for weed.

93 was sweet.

Of course all of this play occured in my bedroom or in cassette deck in the car.
    Even though i first heard "Reign of the Tec" on the FM station here before i became aware of them (beatnuts).

and the Dogg Pound Album when that came out.

my bad.

The longterm effects of the weed is starting to show.

Onyx - Bacdafucup

You couldnt escape this album.

The longterm effects of the weed is starting to show.

lol... you could be right my friend, it does all seem to blur together.

That dogg pound album was hot though.

That dogg pound album was hot though.

Yeah, but even though it was only two years later, it's really from a whole other era.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    If my memory and years of these releases are correct;

Freestyle Fellowship - Inner City Griots
    Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
    Wu-Tang - Return To The 36 Chambers
    Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
    Del + Souls of Michief
    A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
    Black Sheep - Non Fiction
    Gang Starr - Hard To Earn
    Pharcyde - Bizzare Ride 2
    KRS-One - Boom Bap
    Akinyele - Vagina Diner

I was still bumpin' Public Enemy, Ice Cube, Ice-T, NWA, Too $hort, MC Eiht and a lot of west coast shit back then...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Wu Tang
    The Chronic
    Snoop
    Geto Boys
    Black Moon
    Ice Cube
    Scarface
    De La Soul
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Black Sheep
    GangStarr
    Masta Ase
    UltraMag
    KRSONE
    Fat Joe
    Pharcyde
    Beatnuts
    Yo-Yo
    Alkaholiks

Yeah, but even though it was only 20 years later, it's really from a whole other era.

DOPE

Yeah, but even though it was only 20 years later, it's really from a whole other era.

DOPE

whatever, i was like 12.

DOPE

whatever, i was like 12.

Nah I wasnt comin at you. I'm just hattin on the wrod dope.

DOPE

whatever, i was like 12.

He hadn't gelled yet.

• I was the first kid at my school to have Cross Colours. I thought I was the shit. I got mad "close" slow dances that year.

I also had a philly blunt shirt. Which is funny because I didn't try weed until a good 5+ years later.

and yo

rap bandit

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I was cranking: Doggystyle, Midnight Marauders, Baccdafuccup, 19 Naughty Three, Snow - "Informer," Da Brat - "Funkdafied," Nirvana - In Utero, Green Jelly, Primus - Pork Soda.

I too was in elementary school at the time, cut me a little slack. Usually these were in the context of borrowing/stealing friend's older brothers tapes, as i mostly had cassingles and mixtapes i had dubbed off the radio.

It's funny that deej mentions being "scared" by Wu-Tang. While I wouldn't go that far, I distinctly remember clowning that tape mercilessly for some reason. It wasn't until I heard their solo material that I went back and reevaluated it.

I was the first kid at my school to have Cross Colours. I thought I was the shit. I got mad "close" slow dances that year.

Had the chaperones sweatin' bullets!

While I wouldn't go that far, I distinctly remember clowning that tape mercilessly for some reason. It wasn't until I heard their solo material that I went back and reevaluated it.

You must have been a very sophisticated little dude--I wasn't "reevaluating" much of anything at 13.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    my parents didn't let me listen to rap, i had no money, and we had no tv
    plus growing up in hawaii you wouldn't hear none of this shit beyond dre and snoop

• While I wouldn't go that far, I distinctly remember clowning that tape mercilessly for some reason. It wasn't until I heard their solo material that I went back and reevaluated it.

You must have been a very sophisticated little dude--I wasn't "reevaluating" much of anything at 13.

Have been? He's still a sophisticated little dude

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    While I wouldn't go that far, I distinctly remember clowning that tape mercilessly for some reason. It wasn't until I heard their solo material that I went back and reevaluated it.

Well I probably wasn't using that word at the time, but you know what I'm saying.

DOPE

whatever, i was like 12.

He hadn't gelled yet.

thats right, you know, sometimes it takes people more time.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    add to alot of what was already said:

Compton's Most Wanted - Music To Driveby (yeh 92, but the album knocked)
    Ice Cube - Lethal Injection (disappointed, but I pretty much bought anything Ice Cube up to that album)
    Detroits Most Wanted - Tricks of the Trade (local experience)
    MC Breed - The New Breed mainly because of the collab with 2Pac
    2Pac - Strictly

Was the Street Fighter soundtrack out then? or later? That was a "dope" soundtrack.