1993 Rapp - what got play where you stay?

Terry_ClubbupTerry_Clubbup 833 Posts
edited February 2016 in Music Talk
Think back to 1993 and tell about the rapp that got play in your house.Just name between 5 and 10, either songs or full albums.And hey...Be Honest.In my dirty god-forsaken, ant-infested bungalow where I stayed:

1. Kilo "Tick-Tock" 12" - the gold standard by which all other1993 rapp would be judged in front of the speakers. I was soenamored of this song that I didn't even bother getting the fullCD until years later.

2. Cypress Hill - Black Sunday - hits from the bong...duh

3. Enter the Wu-Tang - beats knocked way hard

4. Funkdoobiest - Which Doobie U B? - uh, yeah...does anyoneremember the sounds of laughter? BowWOWwow!

5. De La Soul - Buhloone Mindstate - I still think this is nice

6. Duice - "Dazzy Dukks" - yep

7. DOGGYSTYLE - 1993 - every party at every house on every streetwhat about your house

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I was ten so I was mostly listening to the radio. I have a tape i recorded off the radio from around this time that included Da brat's "Funkdafied," Domino's "Sweet Potatoe Pie," Scarface's "Never Seen a Man Cry," Ahmad's "Back in the Day," Pharcyde's "Passin Me By." I listened to Wu-Tang's "CREAM" a lot too, I remember it scared me but felt positively REAL, I think i also remember liking "Bop Gun," and of course Snoop Dogg was absolutely massive.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    In the house that I shared with 2-4 others...

The Chronic/Snoop
    Enter the Wu
    Black Moon
    Scarface
    Freestyle Fellowship
    The Coup
    Del
    Souls of Michief
    De La Soul
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Black Sheep
    Gang Starr

Plus the album that I would hear on the streets (I played A LOT of pick-up basketball back then) more than any other, even more than the Chronic...Spice 1's 187 He Wrote.

• Midnight Marauders- ATCQ
    Illegal Business- Mac Mall
    A Lesson To Be Learned- RBL Posse
    Daily Operation- Gang Starr
    Brand Nubian- In God We Trust
    93 To Infinity- Souls
    Too Short- Get In Where You Fit In
    Lords OF The Underground- Here Come The Lordz
    Cypress Hill- Black Sunday
    De La Soul- same as TC
    DJ Quik- way 2 Fonky
    Geto Boys- We Can't Be Stopped
    Pharcyde- Bizarre Ride
    KRS-ONE-Return Of The BOOM BAP!
    Del- Wish My Brother George Were Here
    Common Sense- Can I Borrow A Dollar
    Wu-Tang
    was still bumping "Breaking Atoms", "No One Can Do It Better", etc...

pretty much what everyone else was listening to I suppose...

• The Coup

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I hatted hip hop in 93. It hadn't really gelled yet.

• Oh yeah, how could I forget Inner City Griots?!

That schitt was on repeat, wash brain, rinse bong, repeat.

I was a jazzy bitch, and I loved this album, still do.

There was even songs for when girls came over like "Cornbread".

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I was ten so I was mostly listening to the radio. I have a tape i recorded off the radio from around this time that included Da brat's "Funkdafied," Domino's "Sweet Potatoe Pie," Scarface's "Never Seen a Man Cry," Ahmad's "Back in the Day," Pharcyde's "Passin Me By." I listened to Wu-Tang's "CREAM" a lot too, I remember it scared me but felt positively REAL, I think i also remember liking "Bop Gun," and of course Snoop Dogg Kris Kross was absolutely massive.

If you said 94, it would be:

Mac Mall
    JT tha Bigga Figga
    E-40
    Volume10
    Saafir
    Odd Squad
    Blac Monks
    Top Quality
    Organized Konfusion
    Project Blowed cassette
    Wu Tang stuff

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Garth Brooks

• Garth Brooks

That would be my local bar experience of say, 1990.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I was ten so I was mostly listening to the radio. I have a tape i recorded off the radio from around this time that included Da brat's "Funkdafied," Domino's "Sweet Potatoe Pie," Scarface's "Never Seen a Man Cry," Ahmad's "Back in the Day," Pharcyde's "Passin Me By." I listened to Wu-Tang's "CREAM" a lot too, I remember it scared me but felt positively REAL, I think i also remember liking "Bop Gun," and of course Snoop Dogg was absolutely massive.

Dude, if you are for real, this goes down as my favorite post ever.

I am not dissing, the thought of a ten year old groovin to his radio tape with Domino and Da Brat brings a smile to my face.

for the record, i was just another whiteboy smoking too much weed listening to Cypress Hill, Funkdoobiest, The Coup, Dre, Cube,Tribe, Pharcyde,Gangstarr,Del, Souls of mischief, and when Return of the Boom bap dropped i almost wet my pants.

93 was good times.

• "Cornbread".

Dude that song still kills it.

I've heard a couple new Acey joints that I'm feeling too, anyone hear the new record at all? "Highlights" and "All For You" are making me happy.

• when Return of the Boom bap dropped i almost wet my pants.

93 was good times.

The Chronic/Snoop
    Enter the Wu
    Black Moon
    Scarface
    Freestyle Fellowship
    The Coup
    Del
    Souls of Michief
    De La Soul
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Black Sheep
    Gang Starr

My playlist was very similar. Also Tupac's Strictly album. And Redman.

Buying a new rap album was more of an event back then, in part because there were just fewer(or at least fewer that I was aware of/into) coming out, and in part because I had a lot less money and committing 12.99 was a big decision. Consequently, a lot of stuff from a year or two earlier was still in very heavy rotation and seemed more current than albums from a year or more ago would seem to me now. So I would have to add a lot of albums from '91 and '92 to my list for it to be really reflective of what I was playing heavily.

• how could I forget:

MASTA ACE!

I met DJ Daze around that time through our mutual friend Giant, here in sf. I remember him asking me when he got into town from Chicago, "hey man, where can I find that BORN TO ROLL record at around here...I neeeeed that schitt." I think I recommended Star Alley?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    And Redman.

And Redman.

And Redman.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Akinyele - Vagina Diner
    Scarface - The World Is Yours
    Masta Ase - SlaughterHouse
    UltraMag - The 4 Horsemen
    Wu -Tang - 36 Chambers
    KRSONE - Return of the Boom Bap
    Snoop - DoggyStyle
    Troubleneck Bros. - FUCK ALL Y'ALL
    Fat Joe - Represent

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Eric Sermon - No pressure
    Souls of Mischief - 93 til Infinity.
    Onyx - Bacdafucup
    Pharcyde - bizarre ride
    Beatnuts - Intoxicated demons.
    Yo-Yo - You better ask somebody.
    Yz - The Ghetto's been good to me.
    Apache - Apache ain't shit.
    Blackmoon - enter the stage.
    Alkaholiks - 21 and over.
    Menace 2 Society - soundtrack.
    Da Youngsta's - the Aftermath.

• Beatnuts - Intoxicated demons.
    Blackmoon - enter the stage.

yessssssssss

It actually happened in 92, but I can't tell you how happy I was to be at house parties and see people start to show up with marijuana leaves on their hats and shirts and such. It was like this little-but-rapidly-growing contingent of smokers/rap lovers who realy found their moment in time as set off by the Cypress Hill's/Dr. Dre's/Snoop's/Redman's. People nowadays, or even then I'm sure, don't hesitate to call such a thing corny...but for a lot of us, that shit had some serious coming-of-age significance to it that was actually much bigger than just the weed between us.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    for the record, i was just another whiteboy smoking too much weed listening to Cypress Hill, Funkdoobiest, Alkaholiks "only when i'm drunk", Dre,Tribe, Pharcyde,Gangstarr,Del, Souls of mischief, and when Return of the Boom bap dropped i thought it was dope. 93 was also the year I saw "wild style" for the first time and HipHop over here became huge again...

93 was good times....til infinity!

It actually happened in 92, but I can't tell you how happy I was to be at house parties and seeing people start to show up with marijuana leaves on their hats and shirts and such. It was like this little-but-rapidly-growing contingent of smokers/rap lovers who realy found their moment in time as set off by the Cypress Hill's/Dr. Dre's/Snoop's/Redman's. People nowadays, or even then I'm sure, don't hesitate to call such a thing corny...but for a lot of us, that shit had some serious coming-of-age significance to it that was actually much bigger than just the weed between us.

Well, it seemed pretty corny to this then-15-year-old at the time, but it reminds me of the time my tenth grade World Geography class split up into quiz bowl teams and this kid Jason convinced the teacher to let his team be called "The Blunted."

Everybody was dying when the teacher scrawled "The Blunted" on the (non-lyrical) chalk board.

And what about the descriptor "buddha blessed"?

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

a lot of east coast stomping...

Yeah, I forgot to mention tha Alkaholiks when I made my list. If King Tee's "Got It Bad Y'all" could have any bigger a single in my household when it dropped, we would have all quit school and just becomes drunken bums right there on the spot. My original copy of "Make Room" looks like it has been dragged through hell. We even had a big Alkaholiks poster up in our hallway, the one with the cartoon dude ralphing into a toilet. Now that's some classy wall art, ha?

Oh yeah, and the Pharcyde seemingly could not be avoided at anyone's house...which of course was a good thing.

It actually happened in 92, but I can't tell you how happy I was to be at house parties and seeing people start to show up with marijuana leaves on their hats and shirts and such. It was like this little-but-rapidly-growing contingent of smokers/rap lovers who realy found their moment in time as set off by the Cypress Hill's/Dr. Dre's/Snoop's/Redman's. People nowadays, or even then I'm sure, don't hesitate to call such a thing corny...but for a lot of us, that shit had some serious coming-of-age significance to it that was actually much bigger than just the weed between us.

Well, it seemed pretty corny to this then-15-year-old at the time, but it reminds me of the time my tenth grade World Geography class split up into quiz bowl teams and this kid Jason convinced the teacher to let his team be called "The Blunted."

Everybody was dying when the teacher scrawled "The Blunted" on the (non-lyrical) chalk board.

And what about the descriptor "buddha blessed"?

More memories:

You know how people used to come back from Christmas break with a new outfit the first day? This one pudgy kid Richard showed up January 2nd, 1994 with an item that he clearly thought had been the missing ingredient in his campaign for popularity: a three-inch wide pot leaf medallion. Weed imagery had become passe at that point and he was clowned mercilessly. And then one of the administrators confiscated it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Oh yeah, and the Pharcyde seemingly COULD be avoided at anyone's house...which of course was a good thing.

DOPE

Oh yeah, and the Pharcyde seemingly COULD be avoided at anyone's house...which of course was a good thing.

DOPE

Seriously... I never understood the appeal.

Another memory: standing in front of my friend Katie's locker as she showed the CD booklet to my friend Michelle and Michelle exclaiming "Why didn't you tell me how good they looked!"

Well, it seemed pretty corny to this then-15-year-old at the timE

For those with plants in their closet, it was at the very least good for business.

But much moreso than that I think that beyond the the fight against apartheid and the anti-Gulf War movement and the LA Riots...it was a sign that many of us were ready to flaunt our contempt for the establishment.

Maybe that applies moreso to whites than blacks and Latinos who are in most cases viewed by the estblishment as outlaws from jump, but it was at least something that worked to bring us all together.

Outlaw economies in full effect.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

That Fu-Schnickens "Ring the Alarm" joint... I can't even lie. I thought it was addictively good.