The ONE record store in NYC to visit

Comments

• ... and btw, thank you to everyone in this thread for the compliments. It really means a lot to me.

I truly couldn't do this without your support. I am always working hard to make the shop better, so look forward to continuous schitt for 2007 and beyond.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    so look forward to continuous schitt for 2007 and beyond.

Amalgam of Zager & Evans 2525 cover or movie poster for 2010 and various JP photos

I haven't been to your shop yet, which is wackness, I could probably scratch a few random wants off my list. I haven't been to NYC in 2 years for that matter. I need to get down there, but the people, MY GOD THE PEOPLE!!!! Too many.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'm curious about how much loot I would drop at Good Records. How much would I leave in the cash register if I pulled out the following:

Ramones - St sire m-
    Coltrane - live at the village vanguard again impulse/abc m-
    Jimmy Cliff - the harder they come mango vg+

This is a joke right? If not, it's a new low of record nerdery.

What is so funny about trying to gauge prices at a boutique record shop? It is a cost/time analyst of digging through crates of shit for 5 hours vs. walking into a shop and pulling out these three records in 30 minutes.

Those are pretty random requests but I'm happy to oblige. NM copies of those records would go for (in order) $15, $12, $8 in my shop.

But he needs to know what you would charge for them in M-, M- & VG+ condition, respectively.

Don't dawdle, son--he's got trip.com open in another window as we speak!

• I'm curious about how much loot I would drop at Good Records. How much would I leave in the cash register if I pulled out the following:

Ramones - St sire m-
    Coltrane - live at the village vanguard again impulse/abc m-
    Jimmy Cliff - the harder they come mango vg+

This is a joke right? If not, it's a new low of record nerdery.

What is so funny about trying to gauge prices at a boutique record shop? It is a cost/time analyst of digging through crates of shit for 5 hours vs. walking into a shop and pulling out these three records in 30 minutes.

Those are pretty random requests but I'm happy to oblige. NM copies of those records would go for (in order) $15, $12, $8 in my shop.

But he needs to know what you would charge for them in M-, M- & VG+ condition, respectively.

Don't dawdle, son--he's got trip.com open in another window as we speak!

Thanks for the info Paycheck. Those are fair prices unlike the prices I saw at another shop in NYC. I knew it was a wasted cab ride when I saw the $20 copy of Ramsey Lewis's Salongo. Faux rills- I can care less if you jag me for putting the condition of those example records. What let me guess is that too much of a little dude move in your private mind garden chump?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    When is the GOOD Records T-Shirt comin' out?

Buttermilk/Navy?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Buttermilk/Navy?

I'll take a cream on brown.

Buttermilk/Navy?

I'll take a creme on brown.

LOL-

Nah, Navy on Off-White(Buttermilk = J.Crew color jargon)

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Buttermilk/Navy?

LOL-

I say stick with the OG colors on this one:

Buttermilk/Navy?

LOL-

I say stick with the OG colors on this one:

True...............EarthToneDeaf?

• This is in the cards for the future.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This is in the cards for the future.

Even I would want to buy one.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Paycheck, ima be comin through sometime in september my man. best bring some heat out for da kid and show me where the ill shoe spots are

But only if it says NOT ABOUT SHIT on the back.

Separate the store from the man.

very difficult to do that - I'm the sole shareholder, president, owner and employee...

very difficult to do that - I'm the sole shareholder, president, owner and employee...

I want records, not a resume.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

Be honest, now: On slow days, do you ever--in the reflection of a still-sealed something or other--sexually harrass yourself? Just a little?

"You're looking very well today, Jonathan...No, no, you can finish the recepts later...My, that certainly is a handsome t-shirt...The brown is very fetching..."

You don't have *any* employees? What do you do on days when you're off "not finding" records?

Be honest, now: On slow days, do you ever--in the reflection of a still-sealed something or other--sexually harrass yourself? Just a little?

"You're looking very well today, Jonathan...No, no, you can finish the recepts later...My, that certainly is a handsome t-shirt...The brown is very fetching..."

No; I do catch myself smoking reefer in the bathroom on occasion though. I generally just take the remaining stash for myself and look the other way, though...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

wouldn't you feel just a smidge guilty about buying records at full price from a guy who isn't frying up fish and telling tales of his local black experience?

No; I do catch myself smoking reefer in the bathroom on occasion though. I generally just take the remaining stash for myself and look the other way, though...

Do you ever call-in sick to yourself? Like hang upside down off of the bed and be like *cough*Yo...Tariq..It's Johnny*sniffle*

• wouldn't you feel just a smidge guilty about buying records at full price from a guy who isn't frying up fish and telling tales of his local black experience?

I think I'd rather buy LPs that have a "fried catfish" smell instead of the dreaded "pony smell".

Mmmmm....fried catfish......

• you're more apt to get records with jerk chicken or stewed fish smell round these parts..

• Do you ever call-in sick to yourself? Like hang upside down off of the bed and be like *cough*Yo...Tariq..It's Johnny*sniffle*

Still laughing at this.

But you should really know how to spell his name by now.

• you're more apt to get records with jerk chicken or stewed fish smell round these parts..

Word.

C'mon man, that "not finding records" comment was for you.

wouldn't you feel just a smidge guilty about buying records at full price from a guy who isn't frying up fish and telling tales of his local black experience?

Jonny can do that too.

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    Many thanks for the rec everyone. Small shop but oh so much fire. I could practically close my eyes, reach into the racks, and come out with something I was looking for or something I didn't even know I wanted yet. Prices were very fair, and even the bargain boxes on the floor were stacked with the hot shit. I had to watch my budget because I'm moving in a week (always an expensive propsition), but if I had the bankroll I could've easily spent 10 times what I did in the same amount of time.

• You didn't even mention the ribs I cooked for you, and how I told you the name of the girl down the road.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    You didn't even mention the ribs I cooked for you, and how I told you the name of the girl down the road.

let us know when you get your cat fish pond instaled.

Did you just buy records? Or did you consort with the oracle of all that is funk culture commodified?