The ONE record store in NYC to visit

tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I'm going up to NYC to visit a friend this weekend. Never been there before, and I know nothing about it beyond what you get in the movies. I may or may not get a chance to do a little digging while I'm up there - it looks like I'll be stretched timewise - but if I have a couple hours what is the one place I have to hit?I'll be in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Keep in mind that I couldn't even point these places out on a map up until a week ago, so detailed information is very much appreciated.thanks.

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Go diggin at Good Records and Sound Library. Bring a portable.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    carry your wallet in your front pocket.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts

Yeah I've gotten this advice from about 5 different people so far. I feel pretty comfortable in Chicago, but I guess it's a different game out there.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Who carries/why carry your wallet in your back pocket? Pickpocket heaven.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Yeah I've gotten this advice from about 5 different people so far. I feel pretty comfortable in Chicago, but I guess it's a different game out there.

SOFT

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

And wear a helmet and teflon vest.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

dont talk to strangers

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    If DMX tries to commandeer your vehicle, just let him. It'll probably get sorted out by the time you're done digging.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Other than a 60s record swap, the only record store I visited my last time in NYC was Good Records. Even though I had $100 store credit, I still ended up dropping another $150 or so. Definitely make it the record store you visit.

And bring a portable.

Other than a 60s record swap, the only record store I visited my last time in NYC was Good Records. Even though I had $100 store credit, I still ended up dropping another $150 or so. Definitely make it the record store you visit.

And bring a portable.

good records, eh? where is this place located?

And bring a portable.

good records, eh? where is this place located?

3rd Street between Ave. A & B

Seriously, this should be your one stop. Jonny's established himself as the premier store in NYC over the past year, IMO (at least in terms of the interests of people on this board, for which TSL was the only real competition, anyway).

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Seriously, this should be your one stop. Jonny's established himself as the premier store in NYC over the past year, IMO (at least in terms of the interests of people on this board, for which TSL was the only real competition, anyway).

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    I'm going up to NYC to visit a friend this weekend. Never been there before, and I know nothing about it beyond what you get in the movies. I may or may not get a chance to do a little digging while I'm up there - it looks like I'll be stretched timewise - but if I have a couple hours what is the one place I have to hit?

I'll be in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Keep in mind that I couldn't even point these places out on a map up until a week ago, so detailed information is very much appreciated.

thanks.

Are you looking for across the board music or something in specific?

Honestly, coming from a dude whos does have much time to dig or browse good records is the shit. work, life, and shit in general I like to minimize the time I spend sifting through doodoo for that one fire record. Went in there for reggae the other day , got what I wanted and was out. I really dont need wall to wall records just a nice stock of quality shit. the store truly is "grown"

dont talk to strangers

Also, forgot to mention: rock a chain wallet w/ multiple chains. And tight jeans will make it more difficult for a thief to slip it out of your pocket.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Bleeker Bobs got that heat sonnnnnnnn

Good Records is the spot. its nice and quiet and i wasnt rushed. i likey.and i got some good credit.

I'm going up to NYC to visit a friend this weekend. Never been there before, and I know nothing about it beyond what you get in the movies. I may or may not get a chance to do a little digging while I'm up there - it looks like I'll be stretched timewise - but if I have a couple hours what is the one place I have to hit?

I'll be in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Keep in mind that I couldn't even point these places out on a map up until a week ago, so detailed information is very much appreciated.

thanks.

Are you looking for across the board music or something in specific?

Honestly, coming from a dude whos does have much time to dig or browse good records is the shit. work, life, and shit in general I like to minimize the time I spend sifting through doodoo for that one fire record. Went in there for reggae the other day , got what I wanted and was out. I really dont need wall to wall records just a nice stock of quality shit. the store truly is "grown"

Yeah I need a high fire to shit ratio since my time will be very limited. If I could get in, give the store the once-over, and then come away with a couple nice sweet soul records inside of an hour that would be pretty much ideal.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Good Records has that fire. I've never been to a record store with so much quality and great prices. I always feel welcome and have the hardest time pairing down my stack to fit my budget...which I always go over.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    And tight jeans will make it more difficult for a thief to slip it out of your pocket.

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    Don't be skurd to drop your loot! Your not their all the time so get what you've been wanting while you can... Your on Vacation? So treat yourself, think about it alot of folks waste there money at strip clubs or whatever at least this way you will have a soviner to bring back and not just wet thoughts in you head... LOL!

• Damn y'all making me want to go to GRNYC.

WHAT UP IRONFEET?? WHO WOKE YOU UP??

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Damn y'all making me want to go to GRNYC.

WHAT UP IRONFEET?? WHO WOKE YOU UP??

and shit only two records stores that I know that have a comfy as hell leather couch to mack in or have your lady just sit in while you shop. Thats key man. Not to take things off topic but when Im shopping in a comfortable environment I'll probably spend a little more than usual just cause I know the people are cool and not eye balling you or counting your records played to records bought ratio.
    The other couch spot being down the block. Dance Tracks. which is my favorite shop just cause im a deep house head. Used to sit in there and listen to the dj mix all the time.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Who carries/why carry your wallet in your back pocket? Pickpocket heaven.

Ever wonder what REALLY goes on in Times Square on New Years Eve when all the dopey tourists are drunk and looking up at that giant ball??

• I'm curious about how much loot I would drop at Good Records. How much would I leave in the cash register if I pulled out the following:

Ramones - St sire m-
    Coltrane - live at the village vanguard again impulse/abc m-
    Jimmy Cliff - the harder they come mango vg+

Don't be skurd to drop your loot! Your not their all the time so get what you've been wanting while you can... Your on Vacation? So treat yourself, think about it alot of folks waste there money at strip clubs or whatever at least this way you will have a soviner to bring back and not just wet thoughts in you head... LOL!

hey I've never been scared to drop loot in a record store. when I go back to KC I always end up having to ship a box back to myself.

Gotta do what you enjoy when you're on vacation.

I'm curious about how much loot I would drop at Good Records. How much would I leave in the cash register if I pulled out the following:

Ramones - St sire m-

This is a joke right? If not, it's a new low of record nerdery.

• I'm curious about how much loot I would drop at Good Records. How much would I leave in the cash register if I pulled out the following:

Ramones - St sire m-

What is so funny about trying to gauge prices at a boutique record shop? It is a cost/time analyst of digging through crates of shit for 5 hours vs. walking into a shop and pulling out these three records in 30 minutes.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Damn I need to make a NYC trip. I still haven't been to Good Records

I'm curious about how much loot I would drop at Good Records. How much would I leave in the cash register if I pulled out the following:

Ramones - St sire m-

What is so funny about trying to gauge prices at a boutique record shop? It is a cost/time analyst of digging through crates of shit for 5 hours vs. walking into a shop and pulling out these three records in 30 minutes.

It's ridiculous because you're asking for the information over the internet. And what you seek isn't particularly revelaing anyway.

Would the answer to those three questions determine whether or not you bought a plane ticket to New York in order to visit the store?

Ramones - St sire m-

Those are pretty random requests but I'm happy to oblige. NM copies of those records would go for (in order) $15, $12, $8 in my shop.