Oldest Dub record you can think of?

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
What is the oldest dub record--single or otherwise--that you can think of? This is more research-related stuff, and any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    Isn't the Aquarius LP generaly considered to be the first dub LP, it goes back way further than that on 7 tho.
    b

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Isn't the Aquarius LP generaly considered to be the first dub LP, it goes back way further than that on 7 tho.
    b
    yeah on lp-also the hippy boys ?
    the first "version" might go back to the 50s

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I don't know anything about dub, but I have a 7" by Ray Cathode (George Martin's band) with a straight up dub song, made in 1962. Pretty dope too.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    b

i found that on CD awhile back and was expecting it to be very primitive and generally crappy, but it's actually pretty good!

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    There's some US 45 whose name I've long forgotten. The b-side is supposedly the first record that utilises dub effects ie they took the a-side, stripped it down and had fun with some delay. Obviously it's not a dub reggae record, more of an accidental stumble upon an idea that was properly born in Jamaica a few years later.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    There's some US 45 whose name I've long forgotten. The b-side is supposedly the first record that utilises dub effects ie they took the a-side, stripped it down and had fun with some delay. Obviously it's not a dub reggae record, more of an accidental stumble upon an idea that was properly born in Jamaica a few years later.

For my own academic purposes, coud you give me your best approximation of the date of this record's release? I really appreciate all of this information.

• Obviously it's not a dub reggae record

This is the earliest dubbed out song I can think of. It's only at the begining but they were specificly dubbing out certain words. 1962

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Obviously it's not a dub reggae record

This is the earliest dubbed out song I can think of. It's only at the begining but they were specificly dubbing out certain words. 1962

Were they dubbing out words so that they could re-use the music?

• Obviously it's not a dub reggae record

Were they dubbing out words so that they could re-use the music?

Not sure what you mean. This is a Doo Wop/R&B song. They only dub out the first few lines then it's dry vocals through the rest of the track.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I was asking if they are taking music from one source, changing it in some way--in this case dubbing out vocals--and then re-using the music in their own work.

• the first JA dub or version that i know of is a version of the Paragon's "on the beach". Supposedly King Tubby, still as a studio engineer / apprentice, was asked to cut a copy of this for soundsytem use, but forgot to slide up the vocal track. This left him w/ an instrumental and one free track, which he used to mix in some prehistoric effects. This would be around 1967.