weekend finds

2»

Comments

• SoulificSoulific 103 Posts
    Slow and rain-soaked weekend:

Lions & Tigers is a double.

Is that Amiga - Modern Jazz Studio any good? Who plays on it?

Peace,
    Sebastian

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    How is that James Conwell record, what kind of style?
    I just cracked one of them open this morning, every song on it sounds like a thousand dollar northern 45...which doesnt mean its great, but there are some cool tunes on it , "Another Sundown in Watts" is good...and what seems to be the exact same recording of the Exits "gotta have money"...It took a second, but James is "Jimmy" Conwell Im guessing, who I think was in the Exits... this LP is perhaps kind of an eponymous jernt of his stuff?...but I might be wrong.

Still have to get through some more though
    got a sealed copy of this also at the thrift(got about 20 records total):

When I saw that cover and flipped it over and saw "sitar" "moog", I was like yeah buddy!
    But, not my cuppa tea at all...I just caint get into the moder funk. Prolly will sell it or trade it.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    "Another Sundown in Watts" is good...and what seems to be the exact same recording of the Exits "gotta have money"

stranger still is the fact that the exits also have a song called "another sundown in watts", released on a rare kapp 45 which is a completely different song from "you got to have money".

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    "Another Sundown in Watts" is good...and what seems to be the exact same recording of the Exits "gotta have money"

stranger still is the fact that the exits also have a song called "another sundown in watts", released on a rare kapp 45 which is a completely different song from "you got to have money".

ahh, I only have that one exits 45, I dont know their/his discography very well obviously.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

I paid $66. No clue what its "actual value" is.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    I just got back from a little summer vacation to montreal...and i had a blast. montreal is a great city and unlike what i had been told the people were super-friendly. I also found a few records there too.

but the best record i found recently came out of a well known store in brooklyn where i rarely find any good deals. this was $6. thanks...
    IMG SRC="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a115/misterjerk/IMG_1014.jpg" WIDTH=800>
    rare instrumental of syl johnsons "is it because i'm black"

• Options
    I just got back from a little summer vacation to montreal...and i had a blast. montreal is a great city and unlike what i had been told the people were super-friendly. I also found a few records there too.

but the best record i found recently came out of a well known store in brooklyn where i rarely find any good deals. this was $6. thanks...
    IMG SRC="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a115/misterjerk/IMG_1014.jpg" WIDTH=800>

very rare, that. One of three available that I know of with the other being a US and Jamaican boot.

I know you guys have been fiending for these rock record pics, but in my haste to go get batteries for my camera I put them in wrong and I think I fried the thing before I knew what was up. I'll see if I can borrow a freinds camera. Here's a haunted sounfile to tide you over...

Searching For My Baby - The Haunted

k in canada.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts

would it be out of place to ask for a rip of this? I love that track.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Not weekend anymore, but today I found this in near mint :

Where's the "I feel good" graemlin?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

I think I have a vg- copy of this floating around somewhere for trade......

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    My girl "found" a wedding gown.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

wuuuh OHH!!!!

(nice find)

• I did a nice buy on Sunday. The records belonged to a famous St. Louis DJ named J. "Pres" Young.

45's

Hamilton Movement & the Stonefunk Band ??? Send Me Some Love/Love Circuit ??? Look-Out
    Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow - "D" Minor Vamp/part 2 - D.T.D
    Bill Penny & the Pacemakers - I can???t stay / stick with it ??? Tempo
    Inez Andrews ??? I hear music/I want to die easy ??? Songbird ??? promo ??? (NM)
    The Conservatives ??? Crunchin Song/that???s all ??? Ebonic Sound ???white label ??? (NM)
    Iketts ??? So fine/ so blue over you ??? Innis ??? (VG+)
    Fred Hughes ??? Baby boy/ Who you really are- Brunswick ??? (NM)
    Senor Soul ??? the Mouse/soul sermon ??? Whiz ??? (NM)
    The Experts ??? My love is real/ (Shing-a-loo & Boog-a-ling) Big Mama! ??? Joby ??? (VG
    Donald Austin - Crazy Legs/Nanzee ??? Eastbound ??? (VG)
    Gloria Taylor ??? Grounded/ part 1 ??? Silver Fox ??? promo- (NM)
    Lloyd Price ??? Bad Conditions/the Truth ??? Turntable ??? (VG+)
    Monopoly LTD ??? Underdog???s Child/Love Child You???re Blowing my Mind ??? Faithful Virtue ??? (VG)
    Lee Garrett ??? I can???t break the habit/baby please don???t go ??? Harthon ??? (VG+)
    Sam Hawkins ??? hold on baby/bad as they come ??? Blue Cat ??? (VG++)
    Howard Tate ??? Plenty of love/ Have you ever the Blues ??? Turntable ???
    Ultra High Frequency ??? We???re On the Right Track/ instrm. ??? Wand ??? (VG)
    Wayne Bennett ??? Rocking (Funky Broadway)/Casanova ??? Giant ??? (VG+)
    Brothers of Hope ??? Nickol Nickol / I???m going to make you love me - Gamble ??? (NM)
    Chakachas ??? Judas Kiss/Stories?? ??? Avco - (M)
    Soul Twins ??? She???s the One/ Mr. Independent ??? Backbeat ??? (VG++)
    Fred Wesley & the JB???s ??? Dirty Harri / Sportin Life ??? People (M)
    Verne Harrell ??? Mohamed Ali / ?????? ??? Brunswick ??? promo - (VG+)
    Quiet Elegance ??? Roots of Love/ ?????? ??? Hi- promo ??? (VG++)
    Intruders ??? Gonna Be strong / All the time ??? Excel ??? (VG)
    Timmy Willis ??? I finally Found a Woman/Neveruary ??? Jubilee ??? promo ??? (M)
    Natura???Elles ??? Show Me the Way/So much in need ??? Venture ??? (VG)
    Fontella Bass ??? Who You Gonna Blame/Hold This Time ??? Paula ??? (M)
    Betty Wright ??? Getting Tired Baby/If You Love Me Like You Say You Love Me ??? Alston ??? (NM)
    McKinley Jackson & Politicians ??? love machine Part 1/part 2 ??? Hotwax ??? (VG/VG+)
    Packers ??? Hole the Wall/ Go ???Head on ??? Pure Soul Music ??? (VG)
    Liberated Brother ??? Muhammad Ali/mono ??? RCA ??? promo - (NM)
    Notations ??? think before you stop/ mono ??? Gemigo ??? promo ??? (NM)
    Bob Holmes & the Strings of Avalon ??? Little Green Apples/ And I Love Her ??? Ref - O ???Ree
    The James Boys ??? the Mule/the Horse ??? Phil-La of Soul ??? (VG)
    West Coast Revival ??? It???s gonna be hard/mono ??? UA ??? WL promo - (VG+)
    General Johnson ??? Keep Keepin??? On/ We the People ??? Arista ??? (VG+)
    Dee Felice Trio - There was a time/Oh Happy Day ??? Bethleham ??? (VG/VG+)
    Tamiko Jones ??? Creepin??? (In My Dreams) ??? Touch Me Baby (reachin??? out for my love) ??? Arista ???
    Lee Moore - Reachin??? out for your love/ part 2 ??? Source ??? (M)
    Jesse Anderson ??? Mighty Mighty (produced by Curtis Mayfield/I got A problem ??? Thomas ??? NM
    Dennis Coffey & the Lyman Woodard Trio - River Rouge/It???s Your Thing ??? Maverick ???
    Syl Johnson ??? Goodie Goodie Good times/Love Baby ??? Shama ??? (VG+)
    Anderson Blue ???Economic Blues/You can???t make nobody love you ??? Anderson (private)
    Pitter Pats ??? It Do me Good/part 2 ???Instant- (M-)
    Ad Libs ??? Giving Up/Appreciation ??? Share ??? (M)
    Avons ??? A Sample of Love/ tell Me baby (Who Would I be) ??? Ref-O-Ree- (M)
    $ Sam & Kitty ??? Your Money ???My Love/ Don???t Hit On Me ??? 4 Brothers ??? (VG)
    Fantastic Johnny C ??? Baby I need You/ (She???s) Some Kind of Wonderful ??? File ???LA ???of Soul ??? (M)
    Lloyd Price ??? Luv Luv Luv/Take All ??? Jad ??? (NM)
    Candi Staton ??? Never In Public/ You Don???t Love me no more ??? Fame- (NM)
    Ocapello???s ??? Anytime/the Stars ???Checker ??? (VG+)
    Betty Lavette ??? My train???s comin in/games people play ??? Silver Fox ??? WL promo ??? (NM)
    Carla Thomas ??? I???ve Fallen In Love/Where Did I go ??? Stax ??? (VG)
    New Birth ??? Baby I love the Way/I can Understand ??? RCA ???(M)
    Candi Staton ??? Too hurt To Cry/Mr. Mrs Untrue ??? Fame ??? (VG++)
    Executive Suite ??? You Got It/ I???m A Winner Now ??? Babylon (VG+)
    Cliff Nobles ??? Switch It On/ burning Desire ??? FiLa Of Soul ??? (NM)
    The Pearl Mixed Company - Have you Had Any Lately/?????? ??? Pearltone ??? (NM)
    Joodie ??? Do Something/Come into my life ??? Total Experience ??? (VG+)
    Fontella Bass & Bobby McClure with Oliver Sain and Orchestra ??? Don???t mess up a good thing/Oliver Sain ??? Jerk Loose ??? Checker ??? (VG)
    Sunday ??? Where Did He Come From/Ain???t Got No Problems ??? Chess ??? (NM)
    James Brown & His Famous Flames ??? Here I Go/Shhhhhhhh (for a little while) - King - (VG++)
    Young Disciples & Co. ??? Crumbs From the Table/Girls Girls Girls ??? Gateway ??? (VG+)
    Skip Easterling ??? Grass Looks Greener/Keep the Fire Buring ??? Alom ??? (VG--)
    Dynatones ??? the Phife Piper/And I Always Will ??? HBR- (VG+)
    Soul Searchers ??? Blow Your Whistle/Funk to the Folks ??? Sussex - (NM)
    Joneses ??? Hey Babe (is the getting still good)/part 2 ??? Mercury ??? (VG+)
    Rance Allen Group- I got to be myself/gonna make it all right- Gospel Truth ??? (VG+)
    Mad Lads ??? Make Room/So Nice ??? Volt ??? (VG+)
    Mirettes ??? In the Midnight Hour/To Love Somebody ??? Revue ??? (VG)
    The 8th Day ??? Rocks In My Head/ Anny Meeny Miny Mo ??? Invictus- (NM)

the LPs and 12" I haven't got into indepth yet, bu I know there are some really nice Spanky Wilson Lps and early 80s disco rap/early hip hop 12"s

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

wuuuh OHH!!!!

(nice find)

NO DOUBT...

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

Jan Garbarek is real nice, I'm listening to it now. Descendents upgrade. Top right is a columbia rec club thing packed with 60s soul & garage band stuff, cool. Mancini latin band has killer mission impossible.

Saw that top right 60s/garage Super Hits twice this weekend and both had the wrong record in the sleeve with no sight of the right one anywhere. Anyway you could up that Psychotic Reaction? i think its the second track on the A-side. My lady wanted to hear what it was all about but we never got the chance.
    Saw it twice too, both times with the right record inside, my lady got the double up. Will try to up Psychotic Reaction tonight, but if someone can beat me to it, then by all means save me from ripping it.

Hey thanks for that, i completely forgot to come back to this thread. Very much appreciated.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I did a nice buy on Sunday. The records belonged to a famous St. Louis DJ named J. "Pres" Young.

45's

Hamilton Movement & the Stonefunk Band ??? Send Me Some Love/Love Circuit ??? Look-Out
    Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow - "D" Minor Vamp/part 2 - D.T.D
    Bill Penny & the Pacemakers - I can???t stay / stick with it ??? Tempo
    Inez Andrews ??? I hear music/I want to die easy ??? Songbird ??? promo ??? (NM)
    The Conservatives ??? Crunchin Song/that???s all ??? Ebonic Sound ???white label ??? (NM)
    Iketts ??? So fine/ so blue over you ??? Innis ??? (VG+)
    Fred Hughes ??? Baby boy/ Who you really are- Brunswick ??? (NM)
    Senor Soul ??? the Mouse/soul sermon ??? Whiz ??? (NM)
    The Experts ??? My love is real/ (Shing-a-loo & Boog-a-ling) Big Mama! ??? Joby ??? (VG
    Donald Austin - Crazy Legs/Nanzee ??? Eastbound ??? (VG)
    Gloria Taylor ??? Grounded/ part 1 ??? Silver Fox ??? promo- (NM)
    Lloyd Price ??? Bad Conditions/the Truth ??? Turntable ??? (VG+)
    Monopoly LTD ??? Underdog???s Child/Love Child You???re Blowing my Mind ??? Faithful Virtue ??? (VG)
    Lee Garrett ??? I can???t break the habit/baby please don???t go ??? Harthon ??? (VG+)
    Sam Hawkins ??? hold on baby/bad as they come ??? Blue Cat ??? (VG++)
    Howard Tate ??? Plenty of love/ Have you ever the Blues ??? Turntable ???
    Ultra High Frequency ??? We???re On the Right Track/ instrm. ??? Wand ??? (VG)
    Wayne Bennett ??? Rocking (Funky Broadway)/Casanova ??? Giant ??? (VG+)
    Brothers of Hope ??? Nickol Nickol / I???m going to make you love me - Gamble ??? (NM)
    Chakachas ??? Judas Kiss/Stories?? ??? Avco - (M)
    Soul Twins ??? She???s the One/ Mr. Independent ??? Backbeat ??? (VG++)
    Fred Wesley & the JB???s ??? Dirty Harri / Sportin Life ??? People (M)
    Verne Harrell ??? Mohamed Ali / ?????? ??? Brunswick ??? promo - (VG+)
    Quiet Elegance ??? Roots of Love/ ?????? ??? Hi- promo ??? (VG++)
    Intruders ??? Gonna Be strong / All the time ??? Excel ??? (VG)
    Timmy Willis ??? I finally Found a Woman/Neveruary ??? Jubilee ??? promo ??? (M)
    Natura???Elles ??? Show Me the Way/So much in need ??? Venture ??? (VG)
    Fontella Bass ??? Who You Gonna Blame/Hold This Time ??? Paula ??? (M)
    Betty Wright ??? Getting Tired Baby/If You Love Me Like You Say You Love Me ??? Alston ??? (NM)
    McKinley Jackson & Politicians ??? love machine Part 1/part 2 ??? Hotwax ??? (VG/VG+)
    Packers ??? Hole the Wall/ Go ???Head on ??? Pure Soul Music ??? (VG)
    Liberated Brother ??? Muhammad Ali/mono ??? RCA ??? promo - (NM)
    Notations ??? think before you stop/ mono ??? Gemigo ??? promo ??? (NM)
    Bob Holmes & the Strings of Avalon ??? Little Green Apples/ And I Love Her ??? Ref - O ???Ree
    The James Boys ??? the Mule/the Horse ??? Phil-La of Soul ??? (VG)
    West Coast Revival ??? It???s gonna be hard/mono ??? UA ??? WL promo - (VG+)
    General Johnson ??? Keep Keepin??? On/ We the People ??? Arista ??? (VG+)
    Dee Felice Trio - There was a time/Oh Happy Day ??? Bethleham ??? (VG/VG+)
    Tamiko Jones ??? Creepin??? (In My Dreams) ??? Touch Me Baby (reachin??? out for my love) ??? Arista ???
    Lee Moore - Reachin??? out for your love/ part 2 ??? Source ??? (M)
    Jesse Anderson ??? Mighty Mighty (produced by Curtis Mayfield/I got A problem ??? Thomas ??? NM
    Dennis Coffey & the Lyman Woodard Trio - River Rouge/It???s Your Thing ??? Maverick ???
    Syl Johnson ??? Goodie Goodie Good times/Love Baby ??? Shama ??? (VG+)
    Anderson Blue ???Economic Blues/You can???t make nobody love you ??? Anderson (private)
    Pitter Pats ??? It Do me Good/part 2 ???Instant- (M-)
    Ad Libs ??? Giving Up/Appreciation ??? Share ??? (M)
    Avons ??? A Sample of Love/ tell Me baby (Who Would I be) ??? Ref-O-Ree- (M)
    $ Sam & Kitty ??? Your Money ???My Love/ Don???t Hit On Me ??? 4 Brothers ??? (VG)
    Fantastic Johnny C ??? Baby I need You/ (She???s) Some Kind of Wonderful ??? File ???LA ???of Soul ??? (M)
    Lloyd Price ??? Luv Luv Luv/Take All ??? Jad ??? (NM)
    Candi Staton ??? Never In Public/ You Don???t Love me no more ??? Fame- (NM)
    Ocapello???s ??? Anytime/the Stars ???Checker ??? (VG+)
    Betty Lavette ??? My train???s comin in/games people play ??? Silver Fox ??? WL promo ??? (NM)
    Carla Thomas ??? I???ve Fallen In Love/Where Did I go ??? Stax ??? (VG)
    New Birth ??? Baby I love the Way/I can Understand ??? RCA ???(M)
    Candi Staton ??? Too hurt To Cry/Mr. Mrs Untrue ??? Fame ??? (VG++)
    Executive Suite ??? You Got It/ I???m A Winner Now ??? Babylon (VG+)
    Cliff Nobles ??? Switch It On/ burning Desire ??? FiLa Of Soul ??? (NM)
    The Pearl Mixed Company - Have you Had Any Lately/?????? ??? Pearltone ??? (NM)
    Joodie ??? Do Something/Come into my life ??? Total Experience ??? (VG+)
    Fontella Bass & Bobby McClure with Oliver Sain and Orchestra ??? Don???t mess up a good thing/Oliver Sain ??? Jerk Loose ??? Checker ??? (VG)
    Sunday ??? Where Did He Come From/Ain???t Got No Problems ??? Chess ??? (NM)
    James Brown & His Famous Flames ??? Here I Go/Shhhhhhhh (for a little while) - King - (VG++)
    Young Disciples & Co. ??? Crumbs From the Table/Girls Girls Girls ??? Gateway ??? (VG+)
    Skip Easterling ??? Grass Looks Greener/Keep the Fire Buring ??? Alom ??? (VG--)
    Dynatones ??? the Phife Piper/And I Always Will ??? HBR- (VG+)
    Soul Searchers ??? Blow Your Whistle/Funk to the Folks ??? Sussex - (NM)
    Joneses ??? Hey Babe (is the getting still good)/part 2 ??? Mercury ??? (VG+)
    Rance Allen Group- I got to be myself/gonna make it all right- Gospel Truth ??? (VG+)
    Mad Lads ??? Make Room/So Nice ??? Volt ??? (VG+)
    Mirettes ??? In the Midnight Hour/To Love Somebody ??? Revue ??? (VG)
    The 8th Day ??? Rocks In My Head/ Anny Meeny Miny Mo ??? Invictus- (NM)

the LPs and 12" I haven't got into indepth yet, bu I know there are some really nice Spanky Wilson Lps and early 80s disco rap/early hip hop 12"s

How is that 8th Day 45? i just got "She's Not Just Another Lady" and i am all about it.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

wuuuh OHH!!!!

(nice find)

NO DOUBT...

My fiance found a dress at one of the local spots I go to in Richmond.

$20 wedding dress =

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Plus a couple other soap opera soundtracks, and a nice Vox Populi 7".

and this

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Is that Amiga - Modern Jazz Studio any good? Who plays on it?

Peace,
    Sebastian

It's a collection of early 60s DDR jazz recordings. It's just OK, not spectacular. The featured artists are Werner M??ller-Quintett, Manfred Ludwig-Sextett, Johannes Rediske-Quintett, Dresdner Tanzfoniker, Gustav Brom Orchestra, G??nther H??rig and vocalists Gery Scott and Ingrid Werner.

Mandatory covers of Desafinado, Take Five, Moanin', Opus De Funk and so on. Only track I really dig is an original called "Scandinavia" by Manfred Ludwig which is a nice little 3/4 ditty. There's solid playing througout, but I don't think it will be a keeper.

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts

• and this

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

What's NAGL about that jacket?

Pretty damn authentic repro of a classic 50's motorcycle leather.

I was more envious of that than the records he bought.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I wanna be rockin' the Hoff's look this fall.

Just gotta get me some of those Tony Danza style underwears.

• nice and CLEAN motowny 45s

elgins - put yourself in my place/darling baby (vip)
    brenda holloway - i'll always love you/sad song (tamla)
    brenda holloway - hurt a little everyday/where were you (tamla)
    eddie kendricks - if you let me/just memories (tamla)
    edwin starr - agent double-0-soul/instrumental (ric-tic)
    edwin starr - stop her on sight (s.o.s.)/i have faith in you (ric-tic)
    emanuel lasky - don't lead me on baby/you better quit it (thelma, white label promo)
    tammi terrell - this old heart of mine (is weak for you)/just too much to hope for (motown)
    stevie wonder - just wondering/every time i see you i go wild (tamla)

$1 of stevie on that last track