Popeye O.S.T.

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Am I the only person that thinks this soundtrack is friccin' great? Just picked this record up in a dollar bin today... Loved the movie as a kid, but never thought of picking up the soundtrack till I saw it.

And Shelly Duvals singing on that "He Needs Me" song is dope... That shit is beautiful... I never realized that song was used in Punch Drunk Love, and that scene in Punch Drunk Love brings me to tears of happiness, mostly due to the use of the music.

Anyhow... Props to this Harry Nillson soundtrack, I never realized that he did this either...

Peace...
FNM

Comments

• THRIFTDIGTHRIFTDIG 36 Posts
    I saw the movie as a kid, and it kinda missed the mark for me. Sorta creepy. The soundtrack is somewhat in demand (or was). Another composer involved with this movie was one Van Dyke Parks (Beach Boys "Smile lyricist). Anyone have his "Song Cycle" LP on Warner Bros.? It is what "Smile" might have been.

• I saw the movie as a kid, and it kinda missed the mark for me. Sorta creepy.

I think that is exactly what did it for me. It's really quite a surreal movie.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    peep the EL-P vs Sole diss track "Linda Tripp"

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    "Song Cycle" LP on Warner Bros.? It is what "Smile" might have been.

i find that record to be pretty unlistenable.. the ridiculous phasing on the vocals and OTP musichall foolishnes gets on my nerves.

smile on the otherhand

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

i find that record to be pretty unlistenable.. the ridiculous phasing on the vocals and OTP musichall foolishnes gets on my nerves.

smile on the otherhand

the 'musichall foolishness' is that straight-up old school AMERICANA vibe that VDP is all about and what he was brought into the SMILE project to deliver... fortunately tempered by Brian on that record however

I want to like SONG CYCLE more than I actually do... some of it is pretty annoying...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

the 'musichall foolishness' is that straight-up old school AMERICANA vibe that VDP is all about

word

"columinated ruins domino" i can get with but AMERICANA is some shit that i just can't mess with on the whole.. super irritating.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I really dig the Popeye soundtrack...and I don't think it's ever been issued on CD either, so the vinyl is somewhat collectible, as somebody mentioned. I dug the movie as a kid, though a lot of people didn't like it.

A couple years ago somebody posted the original Harry Nilsson demos of the songs to the newsgroups. It's interesting to hear those songs in the context of just a guy singing and playing piano.

• loginlogin 52 Posts
    Blazing Down Tempo

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Check out the filthy backward shit on the Popeye theme:

Popeye Filth

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    whats it sayin

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    word up

im pretty familiar with the backwards masking thing... did some studying on it a few years ago

pretty weird stuff....

just couldnt understand it since im listening to it at work through some $2 headphones

i knew about that stairway to heaven one

the backward message is actually quite long.

thanks for the link

oh yeah, i didnt see this one on the list, but peep revolution #9 by the beatles... i think the intro says something bugged out like "turn me on dead man"

• Well, I'm at home, listening on $120 dolla headphones, and that shit is nonsense!

Some work, but the Popeye one requires quite a stretch of the imagination.

The best example of backwards masking I've heard is when Sir-Mix-Alot says "I am Demonic"... Pure comedy.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    "Backwards masking" of lyrics is such a hilarious idea, we just covered this recently...

• THRIFTDIGTHRIFTDIG 36 Posts

smile on the otherhand

the 'musichall foolishness' is that straight-up old school AMERICANA vibe that VDP is all about and what he was brought into the SMILE project to deliver... fortunately tempered by Brian on that record however

I want to like SONG CYCLE more than I actually do... some of it is pretty annoying...

You know... it's been a long while since I actually listened to "Song Cycle", and you know what? Me no likey anymore! It is quite a mish-mash of clutter. Very apt descriptions by previous posts. Little known VDP fact. He played piano on Jungle Book song "Bare Necessities". It was one of his first session gigs.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    "Backwards masking" of lyrics is such a hilarious idea, we just covered this recently...

True man. 90% of it has gotta be purely unintentional / coincidence, and as for the possibility of the human brain being able to decode or understand the shit..... nah.

There is plenty of subconcious suggestion in music though, even if only accidental.