So what's up with Vinyl in 06?

sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Just was informed that the biggest pressing plant in the US went bankcrupt and for example the new J5 LP is not available on vinyl over here in Germany due to that. Also, most promo 12" moves are cancelled (FatBeats anyone?)...Is this it? Vinyl days are over or not? Anyone cares? Or do you just serato your way out of the problem? I'm a bit worried and confused...and mp3 promos suck ass, take space on the computer and are so anonymous...thoughts anyone? I hope Vinyl will still be around, but it doesn't look too good....

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    There's oil shale in Colorado, a potential for trillions of barrels of oil that could produce some serious records.

If anything we can all go Jamaica, find some quanset huts, and start pressing up there.

As I said in my column this past Tuesday, the proposed date of the death of vinyl was 2009. Time to put on Andre Cymone's "The Dance Electric" and love all enemies. Better love each other, it's almost time to go.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Which plant went under?
    Hub Servall?

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Which plant went under?
    Hub Servall?

Dunno, I was only told that it was (one of the) biggest...

• WEA used to press vinyl and a few years ago they decided to dead that so the plant they used became 331/3, which just closed and screwed the game. Almost all majors were still pressing there and Rainbo can't take the weight. Their turnaround right now is about 6 weeks

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    I remember back in 1990 here in the UK Radio 1 announced that by 1995 vinyl would effectively be dead as no labels would be manufacturing records anymore. Eleven years after 1995 (and 16 years after that news report) record labels are still manufacturing vinyl, in fact in the UK sales of new vinyl have been rising over the last few years.

Old vinyl is rising in popularity here too. The BBC's website ran a story last year about Banardo's charity shops appealing for more old records because they were selling so fast and I'm certainly seeing more competition everywhere I go and much busier record shops.

I don't see it dying any time soon.

• yeah well its not cost effective to manufacture and sell new vinyl. period.
    promo only as they say.

UK is not a viable market for US vinyl because shipping them shits costs more than the damn record,,not to consider rising fuel costs effect on transportation and the weakening us dollar.

• Stones Throw had problems as well with delivering Vinyl and had to put all vinyl releases on hold.
    http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/vinyl-2006/index.html

Thats fucked up