STOLEN RECORDS!NEED HELP!

coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
A good friend of mine named Andy Just Had His Entire Belonging's stolen Saturday in Berkeley California.His U-haul containing everything he and his girlfriend owned was stolen right as he arrived in town.He just moved back to the Bay Area from L.A.In addition to everything else he lost was a very nice record collection with approx. 3000 LP's and singles.This is pretty much everybody on this boards worst nightmare!I've had some luck in the past recovering stolen collections for people,but Andy and I could really use some extra help from people on this board.With the quickness....Here is a small list of some the Lp's that were in the collection.A lot of the price tags were from Logos in Santa Cruz + Amoeba,Rasputins,recycled,Streetlight,G.M. etc.Some of the LP's Lost-Lyn Collins -ThinkHaze S/TCymande Second TimeRhetta HughesAfeakaDeviantsCan -Tago MayoHeath Bros 3 x Axelrod Lp'sTom Scott -Honeysuckle BreezeDe la soul is deadPete rock & Cl Smooth - MeccaShadow - Influx Pic discGangstarr-Daily opperationETC.If any of these or others in quantity are found in the field in or around the Bay Area PLEASE call -Andy @(415)595-1723 Groove Merchant(415)252-5766I will personally offer up a decent reward for help recovering this collection!Thanks for any HelpChris

Comments

• A good friend of mine named Andy Just Had His Entire Belonging's stolen Saturday in Berkeley California.His U-haul containing everything he and his girlfriend owned was stolen right as he arrived in town.He just moved back to the Bay Area from L.A.
    In addition to everything else he lost was a very nice record collection with approx. 3000 LP's and singles.
    This is pretty much everybody on this boards worst nightmare!
    I've had some luck in the past recovering stolen collections for people,but Andy and I could really use some extra help from people on this board.With the quickness....
    Here is a small list of some the Lp's that were in the collection.A lot of the price tags were from Logos in Santa Cruz + Amoeba,Rasputins,recycled,Streetlight,G.M. etc.
    Some of the LP's Lost-
    Lyn Collins -Think
    Haze S/T
    Cymande Second Time
    Rhetta Hughes
    Afeaka
    Deviants
    Can -Tago Mayo
    Heath Bros
    3 x Axelrod Lp's
    Tom Scott -Honeysuckle Breeze
    De la soul is dead
    Pete rock & Cl Smooth - Mecca
    Shadow - Influx Pic disc
    Gangstarr-Daily opperation
    ETC.

If any of these or others in quantity are found in the field in or around the Bay Area PLEASE call -
    Andy @(415)595-1723
    Groove Merchant(415)252-5766

I will personally offer up a decent reward for help recovering this collection!

Thanks for any Help

Chris

Jesus, that sucks. I can tell you they haven't shown up at any of the flea markets in the east bay yet but I'll let you know if they turn up.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    yall should sticky this. stealing vinyl is just wrong. punishment by death.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Chris,
    Not much I can do from here but I will definitely contribute to the Reward Fund....I'll call you manana~.

Rich

• scrimboscrimbo 49 Posts
    yall should sticky this. stealing vinyl is just wrong. punishment by death.

Co-sign. That's horrible. Good luck getting them returned. I know what it feels like to have records stolen. Horrible.

• Jesus, that sucks. I can tell you they haven't shown up at any of the flea markets in the east bay yet but I'll let you know if they turn up.

Years ago, Romanowski had a few crates stolen from his car and a lot of the records turned up in Art's van at the Ashby Flea.

Unless the thief happens to be a crazed digger, the records are probably going to all get dumped for cheap.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    yall should sticky this.
    Co-sign. That's horrible. Good luck getting them returned. I know what it feels like to have records stolen. Horrible.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    yall should sticky this.
    Co-sign.

• Bump...

Andy and I went out to some swap meets this morning to try and look for his records, but no luck. If anyone has any information or thinks they may have an idea where we should look, please let us know.

He had a lot of hip hop (everything from not so rare stuff, to some crazy finds). Some of the stand out, more noticable hip hop stuff would be:
    De La - 3 Feet High LP (signed by the all 3 members)
    Gravediggaz - 6 feet Deep picture cover LP
    Show and AG -Fat Pockets PC 12"
    Jimmy Spicer - Dollar Bill (he had a 12" and 45)
    Blackalicious - Nia (import with instrumentals)
    Solesides Greatest Bumps (boxset version)
    Volume 10 - Hip Hopera LP and Sunbeams 12"
    Biggie - Party and Bullshit OG
    BDP - By All Means Necessary LP
    BDP - Criminal Minded OG
    Pete Rock CL Smooth - Mecca and the Soul Brother
    tons more stuff like Run DMC lps, Peter Piper 12', MC Serch 12"s, Beatnuts Reign of the tec PC 12", Beatnuts ep, and Street Level, A few copies of Nas' One Love, almost every early Heiro 12", much more.

pretty much every dj shadow vinyl release. Both Mowax Heads boxes. Even stuff like Eve "Let me Blow Your Mind." It runs the gammet from common radio stuff to super rare LPs. A solid collection.

A Tyrone Davis - In The Mood blue vinyl promo 12"

Lots of 45s too:

standouts- Cymande Bra, Soul Friends, Digable Cool Like That, much more.

I'm doing all of this off of memory, so it's hard to name everything. It sucks to see them so sad about this. Along with the records he lost his turntables, an mpc2000, a mac g4, and a bunch of gundam models. (not to mention tons of other stuff, including all of her books and every little trinket she had acquired over the years).

I know it would be nice to roll up on this collection and try to get a good deal on it. It would be a nice come up, but imagine that it were your collection. You don't want to come up on someone else's loss. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Call Andy or Groove Merchant if you know anything.

• Bump...

Andy and I went out to some swap meets this morning to try and look for his records, but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Call Andy or Groove Merchant if you know anything.

i cover every flea in the south bay all weekend and will call asap if i see any of your peoples stuff. peas.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    If the crooks were tech-savvy, and use the internet to sell stuff it might be really hard to catch 'em, but with so many dudes on the lookout at record stores and swaps, IF they decide to unload at one of these spots, they're gonna get caught. wow, this is a nightmare though...i hope they'll be good news in the future.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    This needs a bump. I hope dude gets his stuff back.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Man. That's a terrible tragic story. It makes me hate the world. I had a crate of records stolen about 6 months ago. And I flipped out. And my house was broken into twice in the past month. These fuckers are the....aw, fuck I don't even have words for them!

I really hope ya'll can track that stuff down. The records will most likely turn up in record store. 3ft high signed should stand out. So keep spreading the word.

• maybe i'm just being hopeful here... but are you sure maybe the truck didn't get towed or sumthin? seems like the first day most ppl arrive to any city in cali, they always park in the wrong place at the wrong time... just not knowing any better. i know the image of a u-haul being towed seems ridiculous... but it actually seems more likely to happen in california than someone stealing an entire moving truck. in any case... i definitely feel for the dude... hope they find their stuff.

• maybe i'm just being hopeful here... but are you sure maybe the truck didn't get towed or sumthin? seems like the first day most ppl arrive to any city in cali, they always park in the wrong place at the wrong time... just not knowing any better. i know the image of a u-haul being towed seems ridiculous... but it actually seems more likely to happen in california than someone stealing an entire moving truck. in any case... i definitely feel for the dude... hope they find their stuff.

No,apparently they found the van looted and empty with just some clothes and empty alcohol bottles.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    yall should sticky this.
    Co-sign.

BUMP!

• Just an update for anyone who was following this thread.

Andy got a call from Amoeba today and they said they thought someone was selling his collection. Turns out some lady was trying to sell 15 boxes of his records. They called Andy and he headed over there. He ended up getting about 22 boxes of stuff back. This is only about half of the collection, but still a very nice feeling. The woman had 7 more boxes of stuff in her truck. She was arrested.

Now I have these 22 boxes of records sitting on my living room floor, living with me until Andy finds a new apartment. I keep looking through them saying "damn, I didn't know you had this."

Anyways, a somewhat happy ending to a horror story. They are still missing about 15-25 more boxes of records, lots of books, and some clothes. Maybe it'll turn up at some point.

The people at Amoeba were very helpful and friendly to them and they were so happy about it.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Just an update for anyone who was following this thread.

Andy got a call from Amoeba today and they said they thought someone was selling his collection. Turns out some lady was trying to sell 15 boxes of his records. They called Andy and he headed over there. He ended up getting about 22 boxes of stuff back. This is only about half of the collection, but still a very nice feeling. The woman had 7 more boxes of stuff in her truck. She was arrested.

Now I have these 22 boxes of records sitting on my living room floor, living with me until Andy finds a new apartment. I keep looking through them saying "damn, I didn't know you had this."

Anyways, a somewhat happy ending to a horror story. They are still missing about 15-25 more boxes of records, lots of books, and some clothes. Maybe it'll turn up at some point.

The people at Amoeba were very helpful and friendly to them and they were so happy about it.

Aww hell yes!

i hope that they can recover more of dudes stuff (and lets hope most of his Raers were in the recovered boxes).

chalk one up for the good guys.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    WORD TO AMOEBA AND GROOVE MERCHANT!!!

That's some good news at least, lets hope that bitch gets locked up!

peace.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Awesome. Were they able to recover all his other stuff?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

right, it seems like this lady should be beaten until spilling the beans about the other stuff.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

right, it seems like this lady should be beaten until spilling the beans about the other stuff.

cosign

I'm all about torture.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    This is good news. Good luck trying to get the rest of them! I suggest contacting the woman or her lawyer and saying you will not press charges if she gets the rest of the stuff back to you. It's a good way to get the stuff--maybe the only way? Of course, she'll say she does not know, but if you press her, you will get the stuff back or at least find out where/when it was hocked. And the best part is that you can still press charges! he-he

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    good to hear at least some of it was recovered.

• wow... that was very cool of Amoeba. for a store that i love to hate, i have to admit that this kind of action is changing my view on them... if that woman was arrested, hopefully she'll spill the beans and let the authorities know where the rest of the stuff is.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    awesome that some of the collection was found, hopefully the rest gets returned.

It's good to hear these stories having good conclusions

• I suggest contacting the woman or her lawyer and saying you will not press charges if she gets the rest of the stuff back to you.

I think it's pretty safe to say that she doesnt have a lawyer. Amoeba thought she was sketchy. Rasputin's has two boxes of records she sold and they set them aside as "suspect." Maybe she has a public defender. There is no way to prove she stole them anyways. She's probably the girlfriend of the dude who stole everything.

Anyhoo. Still missing a bunch of good stuff, but hopefully that's the stuff still waiting at Rasputin's and Amoeba. hopefully it's not getting dumped off somewhere else.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

very nice. I hope yall recover some more of his stuff.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    good to hear at least some of it was recovered.