Afternoons at the Groove Merchant

123457»

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    anyway, back on track. i haven't been there for a minute but chris was always more than generous when i traded, introduced me to some awesome rackords i would have not found so easily and a number of my favorite jazz records lived there before moving in with me. i listened to the grachan moncur new africa record for like a week straight after chris was like "i think you will like this" and that record melted my brain. i was like "who is this andrew cyrille guy?? he is the best drummer ever!!"

so yeah appreciation is in order

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    This thread is a pure Soul Strut classic!

Kudos to Archaic for busting out the spoken word. Can we get some pictures, please?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    This thread is a pure Soul Strut classic!

Kudos to Archaic for busting out the spoken word. Can we get some pictures, please?

audio too!

• i'm late as usual...
    chris couldn't be cooler though.
    seriously, the man handles everything with this calm granddad quality.
    if you could convert your grandpa's life lessony wisdom into record knowledge...you'd have
    your own personal cool chris. the groove merchant just needs a rocking chair and a fire place.
    maybe a bear skin rug.
    and how many people would loan you their space echo for an extended period?
    i only know one.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'd rather my funk source be able to cook up a batch a succulent ribs, or know where we can drag-net some shrimp for a replenishment of live bait, or know where we can successfully hunt for some magic mushrooms, or know which house the girl down the road lives in...than be able to sell me records at Northern Soul prices.

Edit: Just to be clear, I've never been to Groove Merchant, so I don't have an opinion whatsoever on their prices or their fonk authenticity.
    I just thought this thread and the above quote deserved a bump in light of that other GM thread.