Afternoons at the Groove Merchant

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Don't quit your dayjob soulstrut

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Chris was alway cool with me...even when I vistited with my entire family. Three of the four of us picked up some vinyl. My Pops, my sis and I picked up some essential crate material for a great price when I stoped by about a year and and a half ago.
    Diggin' with the fam?
    That sounds so cool!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I could only hope that if I flashed my beacon in just the right manner that it could draw in not only the ghouls and goblins, but ultimately the high priest of this filthy thing, pompous personified, the Anton LaVey of this shit, his entire existence based on illusion, where the fruits of black America get exported by the ton, alchemically swapping five dollar price tags for investment strategies steeped in deep denial, pissing off lofty hilltops is his only trickle, misguided initiates toughening hands for their pow wow, leapfrogging Buddhas don???t wear skirts, grinding teeth against the stains of a sorted history, robbing gravesites with mouths frothing, bragging writes conquest in crusted blood, frenzied marketplaces pack meat torn from the loins, faces altered as twists on the truth, Bo! Bo! Bo! from the darkness, it???s count upon as it???s stepped upon, donning sticks lit with fire, Southern drums pounding sense into the wicked, a vampire stands confidently on a balcony, the wooden spike burns his soul fusion.

• I could only hope that if I flashed my beacon in just the right manner that it could draw in not only the ghouls and goblins, but ultimately the high priest of this filthy thing, pompous personified, the Anton LaVey of this shit, his entire existence based on illusion, where the fruits of black America get exported by the ton, alchemically swapping five dollar price tags for investment strategies steeped in deep denial, pissing off lofty hilltops is his only trickle, misguided initiates toughening hands for their pow wow, leapfrogging Buddhas don???t wear skirts, grinding teeth against the stains of a sorted history, robbing gravesites with mouths frothing, bragging writes conquest in crusted blood, frenzied marketplaces pack meat torn from the loins, faces altered as twists on the truth, Bo! Bo! Bo! from the darkness, it???s count upon as it???s stepped upon, donning sticks lit with fire, Southern drums pounding sense into the wicked, a vampire stands confidently on a balcony, the wooden spike burns his soul fusion.

You are truly a misunderstood prophet.

• as they say in The Town, this dude is outta pocket

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I could only hope that if I flashed my beacon in just the right manner that it could draw in not only the ghouls and goblins, but ultimately the high priest of this filthy thing, pompous personified, the Anton LaVey of this shit, his entire existence based on illusion, where the fruits of black America get exported by the ton, alchemically swapping five dollar price tags for investment strategies steeped in deep denial, pissing off lofty hilltops is his only trickle, misguided initiates toughening hands for their pow wow, leapfrogging Buddhas don???t wear skirts, grinding teeth against the stains of a sorted history, robbing gravesites with mouths frothing, bragging writes conquest in crusted blood, frenzied marketplaces pack meat torn from the loins, faces altered as twists on the truth, Bo! Bo! Bo! from the darkness, it???s count upon as it???s stepped upon, donning sticks lit with fire, Southern drums pounding sense into the wicked, a vampire stands confidently on a balcony, the wooden spike burns his soul fusion.

i'd like a medium soy latte with some cinnamon, please.

when does the next poet come on, by the way?

• the stains of a sorted history,

I think you mean sordid.

I think you mean sordid.

You, sir, are the Aleister Crowley of the dark art also known as selling records.

the stains of a sorted history,

I think you mean sordid.

Sorted...as in categorized. Way to pick up on the double-meaning there, ace.

I think you mean sordid.

poetik lizenze foo.
    JOHNNYYYYYYYYYY
    As you SIT by and WATCH
    The black vinyl sell
    Pockets growing ever fatter
    Vinyl, black, lost forever to
    inVESTing HIPsters ; HATRED whoremongering
    lusting black MINT
    CHRIIISSSSS
    ROCCCCCKKKK
    Dealers sorting sorted stories
    laughing: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    makkke yo money honey.

wtf?

I think you mean sordid.

poetik lizenze foo.
    JOHNNYYYYYYYYYY
    As you SIT by and WATCH
    The black vinyl sell
    Pockets growing ever fatter
    Vinyl, black, lost forever to
    inVESTing HIPsters ; HATRED whoremongering
    lusting black MINT
    CHRIIISSSSS
    ROCCCCCKKKK
    Dealers sorting sorted stories
    laughing: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    makkke yo money honey.

wtf?
    5 STARS!

I'm going to clean the deep funky dirt off of these records now. I don't want them to be, you know, too black.

• How dare you remove thier experience?
    By cleaning the dirt you are vinyl gentrifying, moving the old "original" dirt out (dirt which was accumlated from Black Experience parties athat occured in Clarence Reid's basement) and leaving a clean pallet for patchuli smoke residue and olive oil cooking splatters. You bastard

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    nice article. i like GM and dude has mad records. he could step up his jamaican music game... you would be hard pressed to walk out of there with any rocksteady, ska (caltone, amalgamated, coxsone) or anything else jamaican for that matter. great store for the funk, jazz, hip hop digger though.

Curious...Is the bay area just not that great a spot for jamaican music? i've seen jinx post on here that he's not interested in reggae finds posts, b/c he just never sees it out there.

i dont know who rosshog or jinx are but i have a few people up there that i deal with and they come thru like a motherfucker, yeah jamaican music in general may be heard to come accross in the bay area or even in the u.s but there is the one store out in the outer mission that i won't drop the name of, dont wanna take away from the shine that GM is getting in this thread. there are good 7" up there you just got to have the right contacts.

yeah i know the store you mean... theres new reggae to be had here in the bay and they have a real nice connect down in jamaica from what they told me. then again i havent spoken to those boys since before they opened the store and were just selling shit out of the apartment above the shop.

anything old though is tough to cop. i have a few reggae dealers that i know out here. the laugh at the little store you mean cuz... those are some real nice dudes in there. too bad the old cats think your young friends are toys. oh well... the old is usually out of date. however they were right about gabe/riddim... (shrug)

for anyone interested the store is on mission off of silver... i grew up in that neighborhood... dont be fooled by the $10 Cable Car burger. theyre good but not that good... stop for a milkshake though... theyre good.

and i dont care about reggae because im not a fan and have no clients for it. if its in front of me i usually have to call someone to ask if its worth picking up or not... ill leave all the reggae for yall to fight over.

I think you mean sordid.

Sorted...as in categorized. Way to pick up on the double-meaning there, ace.

I'm not nearly as experienced as you in deciphering angry spoken word.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    vinyl gentrifying

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

!!! PRE-WRITTEN !!!

• I could only hope that if I flashed my beacon in just the right manner that it could draw in not only the ghouls and goblins, but ultimately the high priest of this filthy thing, pompous personified, the Anton LaVey of this shit, his entire existence based on illusion, where the fruits of black America get exported by the ton, alchemically swapping five dollar price tags for investment strategies steeped in deep denial, pissing off lofty hilltops is his only trickle, misguided initiates toughening hands for their pow wow, leapfrogging Buddhas don???t wear skirts, grinding teeth against the stains of a sorted history, robbing gravesites with mouths frothing, bragging writes conquest in crusted blood, frenzied marketplaces pack meat torn from the loins, faces altered as twists on the truth, Bo! Bo! Bo! from the darkness, it???s count upon as it???s stepped upon, donning sticks lit with fire, Southern drums pounding sense into the wicked, a vampire stands confidently on a balcony, the wooden spike burns his soul fusion.

!!! PRE-WRITTEN !!!

Game/Thread Over!

!!! PRE-WRITTEN !!!

Game/Thread Over!

Says the only guy that I've ever seen in my life rhyming from a notebook on a radio show mic during a "freestyle" session.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

!!! PRE-WRITTEN !!!

Game/Thread Over!

Says the only guy that I've ever seen in my life rhyming from a notebook on a radio show mic during a "freestyle" session.

It has been tooken there! The messiah has brought it to the pariah!

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

!!! PRE-WRITTEN !!!

Game/Thread Over!

Is all of this an oblique reference to Hiero v. Hobo, or did the Saucee Hogg actually used to frap fresher on the radio--on the stereo, even? Was there actually a point at which you two crossed paths? Do LoveCanal and Ross Fogg have what the former would almost surely refer to as his-story? Can we get some transcripts up in here? Perhaps a re-enactment freaturing Danny Krivit and Sideshow Bob? I mean, could it be brung? Pretty please?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

this thread is well on it's way to redeeming itself.

• I certainly think an e-rap battle is in order.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I certainly think an e-rap battle is in order.

And I do not want to see anyone attempting to pass off material from their C Drive as a "keystyle"!

• this thread is well on it's way to redeeming itself.

If only that had ever happened. I was wack in too many ways to mention, but that was not one of them.

The most redeeming thing about this page of a long-derailed thread is that I was compared to Danny Krivits by none other than Penn Gilette. And that's flattering.

• I'm not nearly as experienced as you in deciphering angry spoken word.

I can decipher this... It is an rant against my commodifying black music through our massive sales of used phonograpic records.

Well I sell all kinds of music that comes from all kinds of sources, many of which you would not understand. The amount of money I pay for these records is great, hardly a ghetto hustle. In fact it is such a large sum it would provide you with a lifetime of plastic surgery to help correct that rare birth defect that somehow placed your mouth where most peoples buttholes are.

I sell Van Morrison records and Gino Vinelli MFSL too you buttfart. Your black experience rant is misguided and disconnected. I also heard you are anti semetic. Well have fun you Mel Gibson fan. I bet you own Lethal Weapon 4 on laserdisc. Later. ap

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Oh man, finally all my posting on hiphopinfinity and studying under the great icon.the.mic.king and sankofa will finally pay off.

• I might be showing my La Pena stripes, but I interpreted the poem as being inspired by the one Faux_Rillz.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I was compared to Danny Krivits by none other than Penn Gilette.

O-SNAP!

PUNCHLINES!

(It's funny because it's true. Mewstly. PG has that good hair, whereas I do not.)

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Whoa, Archaic/HarveyCanal, I never understood all the polemic against you, until now. I haven't read many of your posts, since we apparently do not frequent the same threads. I thought you were just a guy who likes Project Blowed and reminding people of your writing activities.

HC, you are showing your buttocks right now. I don't usually join in these types of threads, and I don't give a rat's ass about any kind of SS jerkle-circus. I've never been to GM and I don't know their owners. The bottom line is that all your posts in this thread so far reveals you as a self-righteous spouter of utter bullshit, and it doesn't even need a context to reveal itself as being just that.

That "spoken word" piece - jesus man, have you been eating those shrooms you were talking about earlier?

Like Amir, I'm tired of all this talk about "the local black experience". Shit always gets twisted into some overblown racial/political mess on here. WTF, isn't this is supposed to be a message board about music? I realize that music is not a stand-alone entity, and other perspectives are necessary, but the level of discussion here is retarded at times. No wonder people feel compelled to migrate.

• (James has hair, whereas I do not.)