Afternoons at the Groove Merchant

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I ended up not dropping a dime .

Local Jewish Experience

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I ended up not dropping a dime .

Local LIZARD Experience

• How many "real life experiences" have we all missed out on JUST BY READING AND PARTICIPATING IN THIS THREAD????

• frap fresher

oh my god. I'm dying over here. I thought Harvey Anal's spoken diatribe was hilarious (unintenionally) but that random reference made me burst out in laughter.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    frap fresher

oh my god. I'm dying over here. I thought Harvey Anal's spoken diatribe was hilarious (unintenionally) but that random reference made me burst out in laughter.

Evidentally, you do not lack the genetic make-up.

How many "real life experiences" have we all missed out on JUST BY READING AND PARTICIPATING IN THIS THREAD????

I can't believe this is a 4-pager.

lest we not forget the original point: The Groove Merchant =

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I thought Harvey Anal's spoken diatribe was hilarious (unintenionally)

Yeah, dude, I'm moving to Brooklyn tomorrow in hopes of becoming a Def Poet.

Maybe you can lend me some fashion tips so that I'll fit in once I ultimately get on the level of the Common's and Mos Def's of that scene.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I thought Harvey Anal's spoken diatribe was hilarious (unintenionally)

Maybe you can lend me some fashion tips so that I'll fit in once I ultimately get on the level of the Common's and Mos Def's of that scene.

Keep his kufi outcher mouf, son!

• I thought Harvey Anal's spoken diatribe was hilarious (unintenionally)

Hearty Anal:

I'm not sure if your brave or just dumb, but you should really just stop posting around here. If we really want to go there ("kufi's" and "fashion snaps") I can have some pull up that photo of you with Trae and have some more laughs at your expense.

Even Mos Def's last album was way more listenable than 95% of Project Blowed material, and new danger was fuckin' terrible.

Even Mos Def's last album was way more listenable than 95% of Project Blowed material, and new danger was fuckin' terrible.

10 pager.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    If we really want to go there ("kufi's" and "fashion snaps") I can have some pull up that photo of you, Trae, and a pair of knee-length black socks[/b] and have some more laughs at your expense.

I know that writing graffiti with the same utensil you use to fashion your penciled-on goatee is some sort of of hip-hop proficency, but somehow your barbs don't even remotely sting me.

• If we really want to go there ("kufi's" and "fashion snaps") I can have some pull up that photo of you, Trae, and a pair of knee-length black socks[/b] and have some more laughs at your expense.

Hey, it worked for the Fab Five, or at least Jalen Rose.

If we really want to go there ("kufi's" and "fashion snaps") I can have some pull up that photo of you, Trae, and a pair of knee-length black socks[/b] and have some more laughs at your expense.

So the Ray Jackson look ain't no longer in?

My wife won't let me leave the house with white socks on, by the way.

And those particular socks are only ankle-length...I swear.

• I know that writing graffiti with the same utensil you use to fashion your penciled-on goatee is some sort of of hip-hop proficency, but somehow your barbs don't even remotely sting me.

If they don't bother you why are you acting ass-hurt with playground-level "barbs"?

but come on, Archie...hit me with some heat

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

10 pager.

A white guy who buys funk having sex with a black woman: authentic local black experience or carpetbagging?

• playground-level "barbs"?

Hearty Anal

• Even Mos Def's last album was way more listenable than 95% of Project Blowed material, and new danger was fuckin' terrible.

10 pager.

A white guy who buys funk having sex with a black woman: authentic local black experience or carpetbagging?

GENTRIFICATION

10 pager.

GENTRIFICATION

We have a winner!

• Even Mos Def's last album was way more listenable than 95% of Project Blowed material, and new danger was fuckin' terrible.

10 pager.

I think you mean carpet munching not carpetbagging.

10 pager.

I think you mean carpet munching not carpetbagging.

Whoah! Not until the second date, home skillet.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    The best look in the thread is that cool chris dude who hasn't bothered to respond to this doo doo. And the guy even starts a thread trying to help his buddy find his stolen merch.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    The best look in the thread is that cool chris dude who hasn't bothered to respond to this doo doo.
    The best look in the thread is that cool chris dude who hasn't bothered to respond to this doo doo.

• Your article is fine. It's obvioulsy your personal experience and thus it shouldn't have been written any other way.

But still, it points to issues of disconnectedness, where little dudes can acquire the scoop on black culture without having to interact with any actual members of that culture.

I'll leave it at that for now, for I'm really not trying to diss your academic, ivory tower steez yet again, but I would really think that a writer with your credentials could stomach my between-the-lines analysis without getting all boo-hoo about it.

It's not like my rants are being distributed alongside your article with every issue of the Tribune.

a man in the city gets hit by a bus. nobody cares.
    the authentic funk experience.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

a man in the city gets hit by a bus. nobody cares.
    the authentic funk experience.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    The best look in the thread is that cool chris dude who hasn't bothered to respond to this doo doo. And the guy even starts a thread trying to help his buddy find his stolen merch.

Speaks volumes[/b].

God, I want to say some stuff I shouldn't, so I won't.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I just spent 20min. reading through all of that...

I went to the Groove Merchant only one time, but the shopowner was very pleasant. He let me look through the rare records that he just priced, and politely said "thanks a lot bro" after my purchase. As a little dude, I tend to get somewhat intidimidated by small specialty shops that have an elitist air about them, but not this one.

Now that multiple people have reiterated this sentiment, I've gotta ask...

What would Cool Chris even need to respond to?

I don't recall criticizing him for anything.

It's a great shop he's got there. I've never thought anything but that.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

please stop talking

please stop talking

If I did, that's at least 3 less hissy fits that you'd get to indulge in per week.

You'd have to fill your quota elsewhere.

Never that.