Afternoons at the Groove Merchant

Comments

• Options
    true indeed, but you say "expectations are unrealistic", this is not true. i could point to several amalgamated, coxsone, and caltone 7" available on ebay right now

I meant about haviong that stuff available at Groove Merchant. Will you be bidding and winning any of the Clatone singles on eBay?

K.

• Options
    oh and don't sleep on st. louis... the was a huge emergence of reggae music there too. tons of stuff laying around that town.

Washington as well as the obvious cities on the Gulf (houston etc). Still, ain't nothing fucking with NY and Miami in the States.

K.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

for the record:
    1).you're a white guy, and in actuality you sound riddled with some sort of white guilt while looking for authenticity and validation IN YOUR RECORD BUYING EXPERIENCE *rolling eyes*.

You've never seen me equating any consumer purchase that I've made with some sort of cultural breakthrough. While I appreciate that there are Cool Chris's out there to teach people what he has learned over the years, I'd be much more impressed if said interaction led to an experience far more personal than "look at these records that I now own".

For me, records are great but don't hold a candle to the many real-life experiences that I've enjoyed actually interacting with the true origins of funk - its people.

And me being white kinda illustrates my point further...that this is the kind of thing that we should ALL recognize, regardless of what race we are.

2). the "authentic experience of rooky's" that makes you feel so good is brought to you by Dick, a middled aged white guy who could care less.

I forget her name, but the woman who used to tend the cash register used to tell me all sorts of stories about what the Fillmore used to be like and what it was like to work with John Lee Hooker, etc...all from a first person perspective.

Throw in that there used to always be these neighborhood old men in there playing domino's and shooting the breeze like they were on someone's porch instead of in a retail store...as well as the store's treatment of boogie-woogie/rock-n-roll as just as vital as specific hip-hop-endorsed sample fodder...and it added up to more of an authentic experience to me.

• true indeed, but you say "expectations are unrealistic", this is not true. i could point to several amalgamated, coxsone, and caltone 7" available on ebay right now

I meant about haviong that stuff available at Groove Merchant. Will you be bidding and winning any of the Clatone singles on eBay?

K.

perhaps, why?

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

for the record:
    1).you're a white guy, and in actuality you sound riddled with some sort of white guilt while looking for authenticity and validation IN YOUR RECORD BUYING EXPERIENCE *rolling eyes*.

You've never seen me equating any consumer purchase that I've made with some sort of cultural breakthrough. While I appreciate that there are Cool Chris's out there to teach people what he has learned over the years, I'd be much more impressed if said interaction led to an experience far more personal than "look at these records that I now own".

For me, records are great but don't hold a candle to the many real-life experiences that I've enjoyed actually interacting with the true origins of funk - its people.

And me being white kinda illustrates my point further...that this is the kind of thing that we should ALL recognize, regardless of what race we are.

2). the "authentic experience of rooky's" that makes you feel so good is brought to you by Dick, a middled aged white guy who could care less.

I forget her name, but the woman who used to tend the cash register used to tell me all sorts of stories about what the Fillmore used to be like and what it was like to work with John Lee Hooker, etc...all from a first person perspective.

Throw in that there used to always be these neighborhood old men in there playing domino's and shooting the breeze like they were on someone's porch instead of in a retail store...as well as the store's treatment of boogie-woogie/rock-n-roll as just as vital as specific hip-hop-endorsed sample fodder...and it added up to more of an authentic experience to me.

If you have beef with the record "Boutique" mentality then make a thread about that. Why rag on some dudes who by your own admission are good people & on an article that a guy wrote about leaving his hometown. That just seems so petty and cheap.

• for the record:

you know you're sounding like a jackass right now? I think you really need to examine why you even like soul/rap/funk etc music to begin with. It seems like it's your gateway into answering some serious questions and solving some major hang-ups that you have about who really are.

It's one thing to be aware of race and another thing is being some patronizing ball of guilt.

but yo...you forot her name? I guess the experience that you cherish wasn't that important to you and if you think that old black dudes playing dominoes and just "kickin' it" equals an "AUTHENTIC BLACK EXPERIENCE" than you have even more problems.

i'm really done with you and this idiotic logic of yours.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

for the record:

you know you're sounding like a jackass right now? I think you really need to examine why you even like soul/rap/funk etc music to begin with. It seems like it's your gateway into answering some serious questions and solving some major hang-ups that you have about who really are.

It's one thing to be aware of race and another thing is being some patronizing ball of guilt.

but yo...you forot her name? I guess the experience that you cherish wasn't that important to you and if you think that old black dudes playing dominoes and just "kickin' it" equals an "AUTHENTIC BLACK EXPERIENCE" than you have even more problems.

1. I know who I am. I do not front. I do not pretend. I am just me.

2. What do you propose that I am feeling guilty of?

3. Yes, I forgot her name. It's been over 5 years since I've been through there. And I never said that I "cherished" anything about Rookie Ricardo's. I just said that it was more authentic to me than GM.

4. Call me crazy for saying that black people being present makes for a requirement of a "authentric black experience".

5. And if you really want to know where such things come from in me, just look at my own hometown currently being remixed by a bunch of outsiders into what they think is a better version of a true New Orleans experience, of course devoid of the black people who built and characterized that beautifully-original city. Point being there is definitely a method to my madness, even if some of y'all want to do everything in your power to not see it.

• for the record:

3. Yes, I forgot her name. It's been over 5 years since I've been through there. And I never said that I "cherished" anything about Rookie Ricardo's. I just said that it was more authentic to me than GM.

4. Call me crazy for saying that black people being present makes for a requirement of a "authentric black experience".

5. And if you really want to know where such things come from in me, just look at my own hometown currently being remixed by a bunch of outsiders into what they think is a better version of a true New Orleans experience, of course devoid of the black people who built and characterized that beautifully-original city. Point being there is definitely a method to my madness, even if some of y'all want to do everything in your power to not see it.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

for the record:

What an incredible leap you just made. From S.F record store to Katrina. Dude. And what's crazy is that you're not really a herb, although you're doing your best to come off like one. Why do you write things like this?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Here's what I've learned from this thread.....

If I go to Groove Merchant, hang out with Cool Chris, rap about records and life in general and buy a rare funk/soul record for $200.00, I'm an Elitist who is trying to buy a piece of another man's culture that I don't appreciate, understand or have experienced first hand.

But if I go to a small town in Louisiana, hang out with some black dudes who I think respect me because "I'm down with the brothers" and "Understand the plight of the black man", have them cook me some ribs, and then buy all their $200 records for a buck a piece I'm culturally diverse and connected to the "Black Experience".

Lesson learned.

• Here's what I've learned from this thread.....

If I go to Groove Merchant, hang out with Cool Chris, rap about records and life in general and buy a rare funk/soul record for $200.00, I'm an Elitist who is trying to buy a piece of another man's culture that I don't appreciate, understand or have experienced first hand.

But if I go to a small town in Louisiana, hang out with some black dudes who I think respect me because "I'm down with the brothers" and "Understand the plight of the black man", have them cook me some ribs, and then buy all their $200 records for a buck a piece I'm culturally diverse and connected to the "Black Experience".

Lesson learned.

You missed the part about GM not having any jamaican raer, but yea that about sums it up.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts

Lesson learned.

what if i meet some black guys and they cook me ribs, but still charge me $200 for a record?... am i still connected?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Lesson learned.

what if i meet some black guys and they cook me ribs, but still charge me $200 for a record?... am i still connected?

Not unless some other black guys are playing dominoes outside the place where the first group of black guys are cooking you some ribs.

• I honestly don't see what all the fussin' is about in regards to Chris. Chris is a good dude on a human level, and a great store owner to say the least! Unlike alot of stores owners (black or white) dude ain't tripping. He and I always chop it up whenever I am in town about records. In fact, Chris I cannot to come back into town so "weezy", you, and I can grab a brew together!
    Stay up Homie,
    Amir

• Rob*rt~

The woman's name is Jeri. She is a sweetheart and has a lovely singing voice(she cut some records in the early 80-'s) , tho' she fell ill recently and is no longer working there. She's always been down with the GM along with Dickie, so what's really?

• Rob*rt~

The woman's name is Jeri. She is a sweetheart and has a lovely singing voice(she cut some records in the early 80-'s) , tho' she fell ill recently and is no longer working there. She's always been down with the GM along with Dickie, so what's really?

BONUS ROUND: Jeri's from Galveston.

• pffft, elitist.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I just wanted to say that Cool Chris is a great person who welcomed me into his store like I was a longtime regular, despite the fact that it was my first time ever meeting him. During my one trip there he pointed out a great place for me and my girl to grab some lunch (BBQ no less) traded some records with me, spoke with me on some mutual friends, spit some stories out and made me feel glad that I came to visit his store.

My only regret is that I ended up not dropping a dime and instead we made all our transactions through trade. If any store deserves a great rep and the great business that comes with that rep its Groove Merchant.

Chris, f'rills dude you need a tip jar up in that spot.

• The fact is that alot of black people ain't even connected to the black experience. I doubt that those who yak on about the black experience understand it themselves. I don't care about a black or white exp. when I am digging. Who gives a shit! Harvey I don't understand where you coming from?!
    amir

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    The fact is that alot of black people ain't even connected to the black experience.I doubt that those who yak on about the black experience understand it themselves.
    I think it's safe to say the the soulstrut ideal of "the black experience" is a "white mans fantasy"

I don't care about a black or white exp. when I am digging. Who gives a shit! Harvey I don't understand where you coming from?!

What Harvey don't get is some people buy records to listen, or just collect, not to maintain some sort of imaginary image of "keepin' it real"

• RerogRerog 569 Posts

My only regret is that I ended up not dropping a dime and instead we made all our transactions through trade.
    Chris, f'rills dude you need a tip jar up in that spot.

Just wanted to say these same damn things.

• Word! I feel like all this stupid talk about a black exp. is just somebody yakin' from a soapbox and they ain't sayin' shit. Let's take race and politics out of art/music! Again, I will say Chris is a good dude!!!!!!!!
    Amir

• Listen, I don't post here all that much anymore so I do not want to chime in and get all chaud and aggro but this dude Harvey is making an ass out of himself.

Interacting with the true origins of funk? What the fuck are you talking about? And don't lecture me about buying street level. I have been doing it for years. Chris has a shop you meathead.

Hey dude by the way Chris is not an exclusive seller of " black music " or " black experience " records or whatever this mental construction you are carrying on about.

He has all kinds of shit up in there... White boy fusion, Latin, Brazilian, Kenny Rogers breaks and private issue new age. What the fuck are you talking about dude... " the true orgins of funk " HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

THATS RIGHT UP THERE WITH " I PAY TO POST HERE " Instant soulstrut classic!

Herbalife 04715 for life batches.

• " interacting with the true origins of funk "

HA HA HA H AHAH HA H AH HA HHHA HA H HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOULSTRUT CLASSIC!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

My only regret is that I ended up not dropping a dime

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The fact is that alot of black people ain't even connected to the black experience.

The mind boggles.

• Options
    Let's take race and politics out of art/music!

????????, K in Canada.

• I am sayin' this whole "black exp" shit is stupid. When did the love of music become only a black exp???!! U smell me!
    amir

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

....hang out with some black dudes who I think respect me because "I'm down with the brothers" .....

ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah a ha ha ha ha ha h

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Chris was alway cool with me...even when I vistited with my entire family. Three of the four of us picked up some vinyl. My Pops, my sis and I picked up some essential crate material for a great price when I stoped by about a year and and a half ago.