Top 5 - ARCADE games of all time

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i always loved the simple shit.

i have to pick 6

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I remember Donkey Kong Jr. on Coleco was the shit, but they didn't have the fourth screen. I guess they thought that would keep people playing the arcade version too?

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Were any of y'all US strut dudes big on the Spectrum computer ?

• parenparen 537 Posts
    gauntlet
    crystal castles
    rolling thunder
    moon patrol
    track & field

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

The only arcade game I ever pumped enough quarter in to beat:

cosign! this was my schitt.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I remember spending many happy hours playing one of these in a community centre (best pic I could find on the web)

Out local sports centre also had a dodgy Bombjack that if you kicked the side would let you play all day for free

• kojackkojack 42 Posts

• 5. Cruisin' USA

4. Lethal Enforcers (love a good gun game)

3. Cruisin' World (Check me in my school bus)

2. Galaga

1. Arkanoid (all I need is a knob, yo...)

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Puzzle Fighter was in the arcades??? i majored in Puzzle Fighter and Tony Hawk in college.

Mine are:

Spyhunter
    Operation Wolf (the days when 7-11 had video games)
    Afterburner

Slam N Jam (?) Basektball-- The machine had room for four players, 2 on a team. i think Kareem and Magic were on the picture but they couldn't use any team logos. They also made a Playstation game out of it.

Commando -- In this one you were a solider moving from the bottom of the screen to the top. Stuff came straight down at you and from the sides. Anyone? My dad used to take me to play this then we'd get an Orange Julius.

• Gauntlet

The baseball one where it had a lever you pulled back and released to swing and pitch and shit. That game was badass.

Ms. Pac Man

Tron

Galaga

• THE WIZARD IS ABOUT TO DIE

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    STRATAVOX
    BERZERK
    RING KING
    SPACE ACE
    DIG DUG

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts

I was waiting for someone to post this one! I could never ever get enough of this game. Best arcade game evar! (Even prompted me to start skating)

Oh, Paperboy was pretty fuggin'bad ass

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

SEEEERIOUSLY![/b]

God knows how much money I dropped on this game (versions 1 through 4 or whatever). This was like the number one two-payer game for my friends and I.

Not as old-school as some of the cobwebbed gems mentioned on here (whoever mentioned raiden knew what??s up) but then again neither am I...

- J

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

THE WIZARD IS ABOUT TO DIE

jesus, i almost came in my pants when i first saw this machine, i remember the games were NZ0.20 a pop but gauntlet was ONE DOLLAR!!! are you kidding me? one dollar was a lot of bank, i would hang around the machine likea true little dude and yell annoyingly at the older guys that played it "LEFT!,LEFT! NO, NOT THAT WAY!!!" i was a fiend.

we called 'em 'spacies' after taitos space invaders (still remember the first one i saw).

these machines shaped an entire generation, im almost getting misty just looking at all these pictures.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    this did it for me. Living in brooklyn we u went from hood to hood playing people. This game popped up in places that never had arcade machines. Bodegas, Pizza joints, car service spots. I remember this one block just had the arcade machine chained to a building. Think the store on the corner owned it though.

• Snake Pit
    Mach 4
    Sidearms
    Black Tiger
    Rastan

Valkyrie needs food badly.

• I remember my older brother knew how to get 40 free games on Tempest, something about getting to a certain stage, having your score end in two particular numbers, letting the game end and hitting the 1 and 2 player button at the same time...something like that. Ahhh, the days of spending hours at the smokey bowling alley arcade!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Damn, no love for Altered Beast??

• Damn I was trying my best to stay away from this post...

Top Arcade Myth of all time:

If guile does ten kicks in a row he jumps behind the box on his level and pulls out a gun and shoots everyone.

handcuffs, on the other hand, not a myth. Don't throw me fool, I was blocking.

Top 5 of all time IMHO:

1. Street Fighter II (any of the first three editions)
    2. Ms. Pac Man
    3. Super Sprint
    4. Marble MAdness
    5. Dragon's Lair

Honorable Mention

All Atari games from the 80's: Paperboy, HArd Drivin', 720, Toobin' and of course the all time best puzzle game ever: Klax.
    Smash TV for innovation and Running Man adaptation.
    B Rap Boys for being the first video game to include rap music and samples and it's precursor DJ Boy which featured the actual voice of Wolfman jack
    and of course If things had been different in 1992, you could have been guiding Adrock, MCA or Mike D around the screen at your local video arcade. A game was actually made by the Kaneko Company where you and two friends could control each of the Beasties as they travel through different platform style levels. A prototype cabinet was made using the 'Check Your Head' logo on one side and a white picture of the Beastie Boys on the other. The control panel had each of the Beastie's names next to each joystick. A CD player inside the cabinet plays tracks from "Paul's Boutique" and "Check Your Head" and as expected any swearing is beeped out.
    The different levels consisted of:

* Dodging eggs being thrown at them for 30 seconds
    * Standing on a giant moving turntable while avoiding "The Turntable King"
    * Get their microphones back
    * Get their instruments back
    * Get back to PJ's for their live performance

When all these levels are complete you win the RIAA Award and it all starts again.
    The game was never released as it never received licensing from the Beastie Boys or Grand Royal.

For anyone interested here is the official top ten list as compiled based on coin0op sales and votes over the years:

1. Pac-Man
    2. Galaga
    3. Donkey Kong
    4. Star Wars
    5. Ms. Pac-Man
    6. Dig Dug
    7. Asteroids
    8. Defender
    9. Tron
    10. Tempest (tie)
    10. Centipede (tie)

good day, its off to my private arcade, hahaha!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

The baseball one where it had a lever you pulled back and released to swing and pitch and shit. That game was badass.

HOME RUN DERBY

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

I remember my older brother knew how to get 40 free games on Tempest, something about getting to a certain stage, having your score end in two particular numbers, letting the game end and hitting the 1 and 2 player button at the same time...something like that. Ahhh, the days of spending hours at the smokey bowling alley arcade!

i just had a flashback to my childhood, bro i had forgotten that game existed, now im remembering places, names the whole squizzle.

this thread is great.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    man fuck the original Pac Man, that game was hard as shit...not even fun. Ms. Pac Man was a terrific improvement.

• I agree.

The wife and I are thinking about getting a tabletop Ms. Pacman so when company comes over we can serve them chips and salsa and roy rodgers while they wait for thier table.

For my money, I enjoy Sunset Riders 2-player action

Crazy CLimber is for the real heads.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    man fuck the original Pac Man, that game was hard as shit...not even fun. Ms. Pac Man was a terrific improvement.

But If u knew all the patterns to PAC MAN, shit became

• pullin' over hippies and litterers allday.

• man fuck the original Pac Man, that game was hard as shit...not even fun. Ms. Pac Man was a terrific improvement.

But If u knew all the patterns to PAC MAN, shit became

For some reason, I still remember the pattern all the way to the keys. Why do I still remember these things!!!

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    this list is incomplete without the x-men and aliens vs predator sidescrollers

Oh good god yes - Aliens Vs Predator was Capcom's ultimate sidescrolling beat-em-up, which says a lot considering they gave us Final Fight, The Punisher, Dungeon & Dragons, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, etc.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

That's right!
    Back around '94 I picked up a used Neo Geo gold system in Akihabara, Japan.
    Brought it back home and I was video game God for a good minute.
    Just sucked because the games cost like $200. on average.

But let me tell you.... Samurai Showdown 1 & 2, King of Fighters '94 (or was it '95)??

Some classic, all-out war sessions went down at 103rd and Central Park West by God.
    And NO ONE was fucking with me. Not Jamal. Not Silq. Not 8-Off. Not U God. Not Chris. None of 'em.

King of Fighters another classic.

Back then, games were based just as much on game play. They lost me right around the Playstation era (although FF7 is one of my fav rpgs).

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

personal favorites

sooooo many quarters wasted....

- spidey