Stereolab - Dots and Loops

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited February 2016 in Music Talk
I get the DECADE LATE PASS - but this record is incredible. Like I said on the Waxidermy board (keep the crossover), I always thought of them as some Starbucks rock so I never bothered to check, but damn if this hasn't been blowing my fucking dome for the last few days.APPRECIATE BATCHES.

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    WIDE OPEN

• WIDE OPEN

I am not knowing.
    gotta peep

• i got on this late too. still had me freaking out its an amazing record.

i wonder is there anyone who actually does not like this record?

• Skateboard P's favorite soundtrack for receiving a bl*wj*b in the shower

(file under: really weird dutch n.e.r.d. documentary)

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Skateboard P's favorite soundtrack for receiving a bl*wj*b in the shower

ha! I saw that documentary too, Lola Da Musica right? I like that show, too bad the network won't give out any copies of older episodes

• i got on this late too. still had me freaking out its an amazing record.

At the time that this album was released it was fairly hated on by Stereolab purists who didn't like their change of direction. Most of that scorn was directed at producer John McEntire.

Personally, I've always loved this album and 10 years later it's the only Stereolab album I still listen to.

• i saw them on the dots and loops tour...high llamas opened...good stuff. but i still prefer the earlier stereolab.

• great fucking album. still listen to that, and Emporer Tomato Ketchup. "Metronomic Underground," is pure

• I picked this up the day it came out. I'd just moved to Manchester to study about 2 days before and didn't know anyone in the city so I'd just listen to this album for days... I loved it, and still do.

About a week later Stereolab passed through Manchester on tour. I went to check it out by myself, got talking to the dude selling tshirts, and later got to briefly meet the band. Got Mary Hansen to sign my tour 7" too. It's an item I treasure I even more since her untimely death.

This LP brings back a lot of memories!

• I love this album too

that really long track with a bunch of movements...when the bleeps start going bleep bleep and then the violin drops over top of it

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    good album. The Super Electric 10" is still my favorite of their shit though, I think.

edit: and of course Emperor Tomato Ketchup.

• I was working at Rhino records when this came out and it changed my life. My passion for the lab has since faded but this album is still in my top 5 of all time. Listening to this album on drugs is the truth.
    What up day? when we gonna hit that spot?

• great fucking album. still listen to that, and Emporer Tomato Ketchup. "Metronomic Underground," is pure

I always dug that track motoroller scalater off etk. Definitely got a late pass on stereolab though. One of those bands I wrote off to artschool hype, but glad I gave a listen to in the end.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i saw them on the dots and loops tour...high llamas opened...

i saw them on that tour as well! that was actually my favorite performance of theirs

as for dots and loops, i think i've listened to 'flower called nowhere' about 4,584 times

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    i got on this late too. still had me freaking out its an amazing record.

At the time that this album was released it was fairly hated on by Stereolab purists who didn't like their change of direction. Most of that scorn was directed at producer John McEntire.

That was me. I remember buying Dots and Loops when it came out and selling it back the next day, I really wasn't into it. Of course now I like it...

Around the same time I bought Pavement "brighten the corners" and wasn't feeling it. But it grew on me and I love that album now.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    the 2nd bassline that drops in for "Refractions In The Plastic Pulse", the super long track comprised of 4 songs. Really feeling that....

I really thought "Magerine Eclipse" was an excellent return to form for the band. It had a stripped down simple feeling to it. I dug.....

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    My first encounter with Stereolab was at the '97 Roskilde Festival, shortly after the release of "Emperor Tomato Ketchup". I walked into the tent by accident and they were playing "Metronomic Underground", which completely peeled the skin off my face. Since then I've been a fan, and I celebrate most of their catalogue. I saw them play again on the Sound Dust tour in '01, which was also a fantastic concert.

"Dots And Loops" is often disregarded by hardcore Stereolab fans, but IMO it's a classic, artistically and sonically. Contrary to many I really like what John McEntire and Mouse On Mars were contributing to it. I can listen to that album forever and not get tired of it.

Of their myriads of B-side/45 only/sideproject thangs this is one of my favorites:

An instrumental (except for one track featuring Laetitia) album by Tim Gane and Sean O'Hagan. Analogue electronic weirdness. Must listen to this on drugs one day.

The last of their releases I've bought is the "Instant O In The Universe" triple 45 box from 2003. I need to hear some of the recent stuff. "Margerine Eclipse" sounds solid.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i will give this a listen

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts
    I was working at Rhino records when this came out and it changed my life. My passion for the lab has since faded but this album is still in my top 5 of all time. Listening to this album on drugs is the truth.
    What up day? when we gonna hit that spot?

Thes, your article in Wax Poetics made me want to check this album out.

I have yet to do so.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Classic record. But the follow-up, the Space Age Bachelor Pad EP (no Esquival) was a little ho-hum.

• Classic record. But the follow-up, the Space Age Bachelor Pad EP (no Esquival) was a little ho-hum.

Space Age Bachelor Pad Music predates Dots and Loops by 5 years.

http://www.stereolab.co.uk/discography/list.php

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Classic record. But the follow-up, the Space Age Bachelor Pad EP (no Esquival) was a little ho-hum.

Space Age Bachelor Pad Music predates Dots and Loops by 5 years.

http://www.stereolab.co.uk/discography/list.php

Well that explains it.

• I get the DECADE LATE PASS - but this record is incredible.

hi day

i bought this album when it first came out and never fully appreciated it or the band until earlier this year, i saw them in concert a couple of times but always thought they were ok but never mind blowing i pulled this particular cd out this winter and then pretty much went back and bought most of their cds that i used to own, though i love dots and loops this is my shit...

more on the jazzy side

what other bands would stereolab fans enjoy, i need more modern shit...

i know united states of america and broadcast, who pretty much stole usa's style, are similar is there anything else one should look for?

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    i saw them on the dots and loops tour...high llamas opened...good stuff. but i still prefer the earlier stereolab.

I definitely have a soft spot for the early Velvets-inspired pop drone fests.
    I bought the debut LP Peng! when it came out and loved it. Back then all I knew about them was the cool name and that they were French. Fave driving tape circa 1992: side A: MBV 'Loveless' side B: Peng!

But the complex, layered production on Dots and Loops just KILLS it. 9 years later, I'm still listening to that LP. Maybe its time I dug up Peng! and gave it another listen.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    what other bands would stereolab fans enjoy, i need more modern shit...

i know united states of america and broadcast, who pretty much stole usa's style, are similar is there anything else one should look for?
    Jessamine, Pram, Monade and Prolapse.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im listening to this album at work while drinking peppermint tea and watching girls walk by
    it's pretty cool

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

By the way, isn't there a part on Dots & Loops that sounds EXACTLY like the chords from Commons "Come close"? I was convinced it was a Stereolab sample at first, super sneaky style.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

link

• yeah stereolab is killer. they were all the rage for a minute. i got turned onto them whilst working at some indyrock grocery store when i was 19 - 10 years ago!! holy shit has it been that long?

looks like alot of people caught the dots and loops tour, anybody catch the "emperor tomato ketchup" tour?

live they are aiight, they are definitely all about their recordings. anyone into french pop needs that "miss modular" 7". speed it up, add some high end, good playout tune as well.

i remember reading nathan heard's novel about newark ghetto reality whilst listening to dots and loops, a weird mix that totally worked. i remember my standout on that was the song that went "this is the future"

in all honesty they never got wack, i just got tired of them. but i wouldn't ever badmouth them. good shit all round.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

WTF? I thought Pharrell was incapable of giving an entertaining interview but all he needed was a fat chronic blunt. Snoogins!