Stereolab - Dots and Loops

2»

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    your article in Wax Poetics

This is off-topic, but said article is my shit, if only for being the source of the phrase "worth his grain of salt." That one defintiely goes in the pantheon along with my mom's "water over the bridge," faux_rillzes's "not taking any money out of my mouth," some dude's "a little extra gravy in my pocket," Dikembe Mutombo's "a walk in the cake," et al.

(Note: And I'm not poking fun here. I love--and occasionally perpetrate [see: Conway West]--this kind of shit.)

• Thanks dude, that "article" was actually transcribed from me spouting off a bunch of shit over the phone to A***. hehehehe.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    faux_rillzes's "not taking any money out of my mouth,"

Did I really say this?

I don't doubt it, I'm just asking.

• holy shit,man.

Jessamine-the long arm of coincidence

one of the finest psych records,ever.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    there's no three ways about it

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    faux_rillzes's "not taking any money out of my mouth,"

Did I really say this?
    Yes. Although now that I think about it, it may have been in the second person--"not taking any money out of his mouth." The memorable phrasing has long since subsumed any recollection I have of the specific context, but my guess would be that you were discussing one financially solvent rapper or another.

Thank goodness for that "any," though.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    ::ghost bump::

- spidey

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I've loved this album for about 15 years and still do.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    their only album I like is Emperor Tomato Ketchup. Maybe I should check this one out?

• This was my first of theirs, and I became a huge fan- they really changed my taste in music. I knew bands like them existed, but I had no idea where to find them, until I found this. Really opened me up to a whole new world of sound, and some serious underground shit. 

I never heard anyone hate on this. 

Peng! is my other favorite, I think that's a really underrated album. 

Fitting this is my first post on soul strut. 
    RAJDuderonomy

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This was my first of theirs, and I became a huge fan- they really changed my taste in music. I knew bands like them existed, but I had no idea where to find them, until I found this. Really opened me up to a whole new world of sound, and some serious underground shit. 

I never heard anyone hate on this. 

Peng! is my other favorite, I think that's a really underrated album. 

Fitting this is my first post on soul strut. 
    @SleazyRegal Welcome!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    uilab is my shit.  

snow version of st. elmo's fiyah.

http://bit.ly/1TcX6px

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I've just encountered something interesting but frustrating - I've been looking to buy this digitally after the thread bumpage (great recommendation Day, heard different tracks on mixes over the years but never the full album), and found FLACC for sale at Boomkat, however it's not available for digi sale in my country (Spain). Is there any (easy) way of tricking Boomkat into thinking that I'm somewhere else (eg teh UK)?

Or is that some dark web super hacker shit?

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    @Duderonomy 

Using a Proxy is the way to appear in another country. 

Meet me in the Real Headz forum so we can discuss it further if you like.

• The BizarreThe Bizarre San Francisco, CA 23 Posts
    I will go so far to say Dots & Loops is one of my favorite albums of all time. Definitely my top Stereolab album. Sound Dust is also incredible and does not seem to get as much love for some reason. Probably cause it's a bit more abstract, which I actually enjoy. 

• I remember seeing and hearing this kind of universal rave reviews when this came out, and in that early-teenage way kept the name in my head until I had the money and access to a good record store to get it. Finally threw on the CD and couldn't get through it. Too soff'. Don't get me wrong, I like a sensitive song or two but this stuff was like wallpaper for me.

So in honor of this thread I looked up a full album stream on the 'chube and damn if it didn't evoke the exact same reaction - panicked clicking around the timeline to try and find the part where it got good and cool, where all the people's opinions I respect made sense, and never finding it! Why can't I appreciate this at all?? Am I dead?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Hmmmm. I understand what you're saying, and I'm not behind every second of this LP, but maybe the best way to enjoy it is to just put it on while you do other things and let it build a vibe. It has amazing textures, very dense, but perfectly woven together, and for the sample-spotters, a few "oh shit" moments too.