best ska + rocksteady trax: your input plaese

karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I made a comp cd a while back, basically going for the best ska and rocksteady songs i had access to at the time. since it all had to fit on one cd (and not overly freak out the squares at some family functions), its heavily skewed towards the "famous" tracks, like the ones that were later covered in the late 70s etc. What i want to know is: if you could extend this list past #27 (and past the "famous" stuff), what would you put on it? Im basically talking 1960-1970 JA material, and the only other critera is "really really good - no second rate stuff". What are your *essential* ska+rocksteady tracks?so heres the comp of 27:1. Dandy Livingstone ???Rudy, A Message To You???2. The Maytals ???Monkey Man???3. Prince Buster All Stars ???Judge Dread???4. Prince Buster All Stars ???Madness???5. Prince Buster All Stars ???Rude, Rude, Rudee???6. Prince Buster All Stars ???10 Commandments (From Man To Woman)???7. Jackie Opel ???Push Wood???8. Andy & Joey ???Wonder No More???9. Phyllis Dillon ???Perfidia???10. The Vikings (AKA The Maytals) ???6 & 7 Books Of Moses??? 11. Don Drummond ???Man In The Street???12. Roland Al & The Soul Brothers ???Miss Ska-Culation???13. The Ethiopians ???Train To Skaville???14. The Royals ???We Are In The Mood???15. Desmond Dekker ???Isrealites???16. The Jamaicans ???Ba Ba Boom (Time)???17. Hopeton Lewis ???Sounds And Pressure???18. Alton Ellis And The Flames ???Rock Steady???19. Justin Hinds And The Dominoes ???Save A Bread???20. Ken Boothe W/ Lyn Tait & The Jets ???Say You???21. Delroy Wilson ???Once Upon A Time???22. Keith & Tex ???Stop That Train???23. Keith & Tex ???Don???t Look Back???24. Hugh Godfrey ???They Got To Go???25. Honey Boy Martin ???Dreader Than Dread???26. Lee Perry ???I Am The Upsetter???27. Andy & Joey ???You???re Wondering Now???

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Would add some tracks by the Melodians such as "Rock It With Me", also "Ride De Donkey", some Heptones tunes, and one of my all time favs, The Sensations "Long Time Me No See You Girl." I love vocal group harmonies.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    alton ellis- mouth a massey

• Rolando Alphonso - Zapatoo the Tiger

and

Prince Buster - Seven wonders of the World (or Rock steady, doesn??t matter)

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    One of my all-time favorites: Broadway Jungle by The Flames (aka The Maytals)

This was on one of those Island comps from the '80s. I think the name was "Club Ska '67." I remember reading it was released by the Matayls under a different name, but I'm not sure what it was.

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts

This was on one of those Island comps from the '80s. I think the name was "Club Ska '67." I remember reading it was released by the Matayls under a different name, but I'm not sure what it was.

Also released as Dog War by The Maytals.

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts
    Dance Cleopatra- Prince Buster
    Too hot- Prince Buster......
    or just about any Prince Buster.

Dynamite- The Tommy McCook Quintet...
    Probably one of the finest rocksteady instrumentals EVER!!
    Can be found on the flip of Hopeton Lewis- Boom Shacka Lacka.

Lyn Tait- Soul Food.....

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

The Skatalites' Cleopatra straight smokes! I'd give anything to see them do that live in some stifling hot Kingston club back in the day.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Also released as Dog War by The Maytals.

That's it. Thanks!

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
    ken booth & stranger cole "arte bella" - also seen this spelled artibella. best ska song ever perhaps.

skatalites- china clipper

delroy wilson- i want justice

laurel aitken- give me back me dolla

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
    ethiopians- you got the dough, woman a capture man, everything crash.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    you got the dough, woman a capture man, everything crash.

doesnt it always work out like that though?

seriously, thanks for the responses so far! i have a ton of lp and cd comps but ive so far only know 1 or 2 of these. looking forward to tracking down some hot schitt!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    classic live ska album...skatalites stretching out...many tracks from that set could go on your list!