Winestrut

djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I'm sure there's some wine drinkers in here...A new foray into Spanish wines has sparked my wine interest recently. I just bought a case of this today...great stuff and not too expensive. It's actually Portugese but close enough.and I bought a couple bottles of this one as well, kinda pricey but wow! fuckin amazing stuff. Thinking of buying a case just cause it's that shit you'll break out for special occasions once or twice a year.what kind of stuff you guys drinkin, and plaese to not post any 2 buck chuck jpg's, thanks. haha

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Daze,

I am on my way to a party right now, but I promise I will get cold retarded with this thread tomorrow. Lots of pictures and big baller wines! Spanish Riojas are fantastic and a great value. I am about to get a couple bottles to take to the party.

Daze,

Muga Riojas are so dope and on point. Had a chilled Muga Rioja Blanco with dinner last weekend and it was very nice. Also check out Conde De Valdemar and Lorinon Riojas. Very good and not too expensive.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    yeah dude, I'm just getting hip to that. That Torre Muga aint no joke but at 70-80 a bottle, it's not something you drink nightly...lol. I'm down to drop 6 bills on a case though, it's that good.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    my pops was a big wine drinker(not a drunk tho). he left us a nice little collection of the vino. so far, my favorite stuff has been the silver oak and the caymus. real nice bottles. for a nice, young pinot, try patricia green cellars. the 2004 is pretty tasty and you can drink it right now. chateau st jean is a pretty tasty vineyard as well.

he was real in to cali wines. i know they dont last as long, but he liked them. his wine buddies always ragged on him for not being more into french wines. maybe he knew he wouldnt be around long enough to drink them when they were ready...

one of the last things he did though was to buy a couple bottles of 2003 beau castil(sp?) for my niece's 21st birthday. they are supposed to hold up, guess we'll see in 2024!

• I keep Jinx on speed dial for when I'm out with a girl and I need some wine advice.

real pimps carry winelists into the bathroom and take advantage of that Verizon Wireless

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'm down to drop 6 bills on a case though, it's that good.

haha, don't hate

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    Lately I've been into the turkish pinots, australian reds, and various chianti's. A fav for me has always been the whites, medium dry german rhinehessen's top the list.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    ohhh, I just bought a few Bordeaux's back from Paris and they are magnifique!

Chan, holler about some french wines, I don't know what I'm doing but I like!

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    damn mesh, your pops left you some good stuff. caymus is incredible. I buy good stuf for my budget ($8-$15), but I just got back from home and got to delve into some of my pop's stuff. - Joseph Phelps Insignia 1997...

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    been building a wine cellar for the past 4 or 5 years...up to about 100 bottles but had to stop because i can't drink them fast enough. i try to keep a broad perspective but keep coming back to france. i'm all about seeking out unknown appellations and obscure vineyards (i'm sure there's a connection to record collecting here). i have been, and still tend to be all about southern france...cotes du roussillon, coteaux du languedoc, collioure. dark and other shit, and you can find some choice wines in the $20-30 range.
    i'm trying to get into spanish wines a little more since i was just there and i tended to enjoy them. 20 cents a glass for rioja in the rioja--and they were solid. spanish wines just tend to be a little too alcoholic for me--above 14 percent and the alcohol tends to coat the palate and starts to get in the way of the wine IMO.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    ohhh, I just bought a few Bordeaux's back from Paris and they are magnifique!

Chan, holler about some french wines, I don't know what I'm doing but I like!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordeaux_Wine_Official_Classification_of_1855

• yeah ive been trying to substitute a wine for beer much more lately ... i wouldn't say it's been going too incredibly well, i've just been drinking less overall. i just can't drink that beer like i used to. i know it sounds gay but it's too unhealthy ... although it's really hard to go into a bar with your coworkers after a particularly good day and be all "what's your house white???"

but these fools i know here do catering, usually really nice parties too. very sophisticated. they get steal an unbelievable amount of wine and liquor. some of the shit they come away with is ridiculous though - vintage 1969, 1981, etc., i mean $300 bottles of wine on the regular. they just keep them around for when they bring girls back home. what a fucking fantastic way to impress a girl huh ....

shit is no joke to some people.
    i actually had the opportunity to drink a 1976 rausan-segla about 6 months ago. a gift from friends of my parents who have been buying bordeaux's from back in the late 60s and kick bottles down to friends and family as they reach maturity. (obviously nice folks). anyway it was crazy to drink something that was older than me. the thing was it wasn't a mindblowing wine or anything. it just tasted like a young average to above average french table wine. but the mindblowing thing was that it was 30 years old. it started to fade rapidly after about an hour of opening but i still can't get over how fresh and young it came on. i haven't been around long enough to experience too many older wines, but i definitely got a glimpse of how beautiful of a thing they can potentially be.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    I tend to just drink Australian wine,S uth Australian, whatever.. I like to take my chances on clear skins, every now and then you'll pick one up that is unbelievable and just buy that up until there's none left in the bottle shop and then move on to other clear skins. I bought a pinot noir clear skin a couple nights ago and I struggled to drink one glass. Anyway, point being - I like clear skins, they're the white labels of the wine world.

what;s a clear skin? free run juice?

• djdepositdjdeposit 224 Posts
    wine rocks
    but not so great when it comes to hangovers

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    buy a decanter, best money you'll ever spend. Airing the wine will help a little, BUT, the key is actually the pouring action. Wine sliding down the side of the decanter oxidizes it and opens up the flavour. Whereas opening a bottle and just letting it sit doesn't really do much at all.

Also temperature is key, most people either drink their wine too cold or too warm. Red wine should be at 15C/60F for heavier varieties, so slightly below room temperature (15-20 mins in fridge will do). White should be colder but not be fridge cold, trick is let it warm for 20 mins or so before serving if it's at fridge temperature. DON'T STORE YOUR WHITES IN THE FRIDGE, only put it in there when you're prepared to drink it that day.

buy a decanter, best money you'll ever spend. Airing the wine will help a little, BUT, the key is actually the pouring action. Wine sliding down the side of the decanter oxidizes it and opens up the flavour. Whereas opening a bottle and just letting it sit doesn't really do much at all.

Also temperature is key, most people either drink their wine too cold or too warm. Red wine should be at 15C/60F for heavier varieties, so slightly below room temperature (15-20 mins in fridge will do). White should be colder but not be fridge cold, trick is let it warm for 20 mins or so before serving if it's at fridge temperature. DON'T STORE YOUR WHITES IN THE FRIDGE, only put it in there when you're prepared to drink it that day.

My dude

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    if people are interested in stepping up their wine game a little, but not prepared to go all out w/ 1st growths ($200+). Then I highly recommend something like this......hovering around the $100 range depending on vintage.

NICE!!!!!!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

My dude

I try.....

btw I think I'm eating at le bernardin next week. I am excited.

My dude

I try.....

My dude

I try.....

very nice. I think my roomate and I are going to eat at Jar next week. One of his homies is the sommalier there.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    NZ Marlborogh is doing the business for me at the mo'. Oh, this is worth a read to for all Francophile wine folls...

" New World wins again in a vintage rematch
    By Sally Pook
    (Filed: 25/05/2006)

At the time it was unthinkable. French wine, surely the finest in the world, was put to a blind taste test against the best California could offer.

It was 1976, the tasting was in Paris, and wine from the New World was considered no better than cheap Retsina. Imagine the heart-stopping moment, then, when nine experts, all French, ruled that Californian wine was superior.

"You cannot underestimate how much the 1976 tasting shocked, and then revolutionised, the wine industry," said Steven Spurrier, who staged the event. "It was iconic, the first chink in France's armour, and a huge, huge shock."

The Judgment of Paris, as it has become known, was re-enacted yesterday, 30 years to the day after the original, with two teams of tasters in London and the Napa Valley, California, thanks to Mr Spurrier's wit and ingenuity.

The London tasting, held in the cellars of Berry Bros & Rudd in Piccadilly, included all of the original red wines tasted in 1976, along with new French and Californian wines, representing the best that has emerged from the two regions over the past 30 years.

Part of the point of the exercise was to see whether the 1970s Californian reds had aged as well as the great Bordeaux first growths. The views of nine of the best European tasters will be made known today.

Jasper Morris, one of only 250 Masters of Wine in the world, and the buying director of Berry Bros, said: "The Judgment of Paris was a wake-up call to the French.

"Wine-growers prone to complacency were forced to smarten up their act but it was also a rallying cry to other potential wine-growing countries."

At the time of the judgment, Mr Spurrier was running a small wine shop in Paris, the only Englishman to do so. He considered a Californian wine-tasting a suitable way to celebrate the American Bicentennial - and thought it would be fun to test it against the French.

At the tasting of 10 red and 10 white wines, evenly split between French and American in both classes, the panel awarded the top place in both categories to Californian wine. A Chateau Montelena Chardonnay 1973 topped the white wines, beating famous French names such as Puligny-Montrachet.

In the red category, a Stag's Leap Cabernet-Sauvignon 1973, now unobtainable, beat names such as Chateau Mouton-Rothschild 1973 (now roughly ??100 a bottle).

There was only one journalist there. The French media stayed away, assuming the result would be a bore.

George Taber, of Time, did attend, mostly, it was said, because he was on a wine tasting course. He had a scoop."

BTW Californian wines won again in the rematch.

In the red category, a Stag's Leap Cabernet-Sauvignon 1973, now unobtainable, beat names such as Chateau Mouton-Rothschild 1973 (now roughly ??100 a bottle).

that's dope. Stags Leap is one of my favorite Cabernets.

My stepdad bought a case of Heitz '95 Martha's Vineyard Cabernet, drinking that is what really got me started on wine. That shit was like $150 a bottle and it was gooooooooood. After doing a little research I found out that Heitz and Stags Leap share the same plot of land where they grow the grapes so I decided to try out their Cabernet, really really good.

I've heard from more than one wine salesman that those 2 are the best Cabs to come out of Napa which really isn't a region known for it's Cabernets.

A bottle of any of the recent vintages of Stags Leap will set you back like $40-$50, not too bad and it's a great wine.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

Cas and I stepped our wine game up with this little number, I set the temp according to what kind of wine I'm storing in there, it's frrrreeeesssshhhhh.

ok this is the spanish wine that got me started the other night...My friend and I ate at a tapas restaurant here and had a bottle of this

except it was the 2002 not the 2001. Went to a really good liquor store in my area to find it and he ended up recommending the first 2 I mentioned in the thread starter. This one is really good too.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    what;s a clear skin? free run juice?

they're the white labels of the wine world.

They're wines that are still being tested on the public before a release.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Woosh, I did a Hunter Valley trip a while back (NSW) and noticed a lot of the white stuff over here orignates from there. Don't ask me what tasted good; after 5 or vinyards in the heat, rat's piss would have gone down well, but does anywhere else in Oz have a reputation for wine?