R. Kelly's "Trapped In The Closet"

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Now I've never been a big fan of the dude - neither his musical nor his extracurricular endeavors (although I bump the fuck outta his last album's stepper shit) - but I have to admit, dude's a fucking genius for this "...Closet" series. For those that don't know, his latest project consists of a tale of a one-night stand gone wrong, broken up in 5 chapters. The stories build up to a "cliffhanger," leaving the listener in suspense. I read somewhere that radio stations are using the songs (I'm assuming that there are only 2 so far) to keep listeners tuned in, meaning they'll play the first, and then advertise that the second will be played after the commercial break. Here are the ones I've found so far: R. Kelly - Trapped In The Closet (Pt. 1) R. Kelly - Trapped In The Closet (Pt. 2) Personally, I think R. Kelly's needs to stop bitin' this dude: ...and my lady she went downtown, she bought some broccoli, she brought it hoooooomeShe's choppin' broccoli....she's choppin' broccoli....she's choppin' broccoli...she's choppin' broccoliiiiiii heee... Herm

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this shit is mad corny but it will work for what it's intended to do. biggie's i got a story to tell shits all over this whole series.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Yeah, I'm hearing a lot of people saying this shit is wack. It's different, though... I guess it's like a modern day opera or something. Gotta give the dude points for originality.

• the lyrics are fucking hilarious though

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    i think its funny that some dude trey songs recorded a track from the perspective of the dude that comes home to find kelly in the closet, and as a result, him and kells have beef.

Mabye there could be like, an R&b rap battle. Then we'd have to find something else to be the corniest thing on earth.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

She's choppin' broccoli....she's choppin' broccoli....she's choppin' broccoli...
    she's choppin' broccoliiiiiii heee...[/i]

She's choppin' broccoli....she's choppin' broccoli....she's choppin' broccoli...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Worst shit ever...

I'm seriously starting to think that R Kelly should go to jail for just being a bastard in general.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Worst shit ever...

in complete agreement here, i've never been a fan of his simple lyrics.. BUT listening to each part of TITC is like watching a car accident.. or the surgery channel.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I fucking love this shit.

-e

• Corny but very funny...

I want to hear the other parts. I'm all excited,

Dress

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I've generally hated (or at have least been utterly unimpressed) by R. Kelly as early as his "Bump & Grind" days, but I have to admit I like his story "songs." Mostly because they are so over the top and melodramatic it's hard to believe he's being serious. The closet song really ups the ante several notches by not even being a song at all, but rather the major-label equivalent someone reciting a middle school creative writing assignment to music. I love it.

Then again when it came on the radio the other day and I tried to make wifey hear it, she scowled, "This music is my idea of being in hell" and immediately switched it off.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Then again when it came on the radio the other day and I tried to make wifey hear it, she scowled, "This music is my idea of being in hell" and immediately switched it off.

Wow, you get this a lot these days huh??

Wow, you get this a lot these days huh??

Ha ha... this was actually right after that Mary J. Blige/Game remix came on... same car trip.

Usually everything is smooth sailing - she heard me play the Bravery vinyl the other day then showed up with a used CD copy for herself this weekend cos she liked it so much. Other stuff we can agree on include Two Dollar Pistols, Jay-Z, Nick Cave, Elvis Costello, Eric B & Rakim, Amerie "1 Thing," Kanye "Diamonds," and even The Game "Hate It Or Love It" as long as Mary J. isn't on it. Besides, both of us dislike R. Kelly and Mary J. Blige anyway - I just get more amusement out of the trainwreck aspect than she does (The Aurrah = amusing for his "music," Mary = amusing for her "dancing").

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    "...Closet" series. For those that don't know, his latest project consists of a tale of a one-night stand gone wrong, broken up in 5 chapters.

I read somewhere that radio stations are using the songs (I'm assuming that there are only 2 so far) to keep listeners tuned in, meaning they'll play the first, and then advertise that the second will be played after the commercial break.
    Herm

DUDE!
    They just premiered the 5th installment on Hot97. Shit is epic! FUUUUUUUUCK! (Catchdubs will confirm.)

I don't want to spoil it, but let me just say that R not only comes out of the closet with the Beretta holstered to leap into a m??nage ?? trois with the woman and her husband, but it gets straight up skandaluxxx! 97 announced a dual-disc, with audio of all 5 tracks in the series as well as a DVD video sex action videos. Rated X.

...And you thought the jungle studio R was crazy?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    and even The Game "Hate It Or Love It" as long as Mary J. isn't on it.

What is the deal with that? My girl (a longtime Mary J supporter) feels that she officially fell off in that song because she's just rehashing her career to date, but I love that track.

This R. Kelly shit, though...the man has reached new levels of corny here.

SPOILER ALERT:

Who DIDN'T see the preacher's lover bein' a dude from a mile away? I mean, the song's called "TRAPPED IN THE [MOTHERFUCKING] CLOSET." He's about as subtle as a circus clown.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    It takes a man VERY secure in his sexuality to title a song "Trapped In The Closet".

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    What is the deal with that? My girl (a longtime Mary J supporter) feels that she officially fell off in that song because she's just rehashing her career to date, but I love that track.

Yeah, its really strange to me how polarizing the Mary version of that song is... "hate it or love it" indeed

I can dig it. 50 and Game are such lames I really don't mind hearing a little less of their raps...

Surprised I haven't heard the new R stuff yet, but I guess I haven't been listening to much radio lately...

"I ain't going nowhere
    But you already know me."

GENIUS!

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    this is too funny, i've been sleeping on kells....i hated this till the buildup on pt. 1, now i'm hooked

can somone post parts 3-5?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I also love this. But why is kells still about to shoot everybody at the end of part 2?

I need the rest of it!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

"I ain't going nowhere
    But you already know me."

GENIUS!

Hogg, your girl is right.

But worse is her performance on "Hustler"... CAUSE YOU HUSSS-ULLL!!!!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Part 3 is already out, getting some airplay in NYC from what I hear. Video for Part I will be on BET this week.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    DUDE!
    They just premiered the 5th installment on Hot97. Shit is epic! FUUUUUUUUCK! (Catchdubs will confirm.)

The 5th is out already? I haven't heard any of them, but we're that far into this epic?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    trapped in the closet is the shit......

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    trapped in the closet is the shit......

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    He's about as subtle as a circus clown.

• trapped in the closet is the shit......

Just heard Pt. 3 on Power92.3 today...I like this shit. Kels is a good story-teller, Ot. 5 is already out? Daamn.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    the one R. Kelly album I have ever heard that I liked was the "inspirational" one, I don't know what it's called, but this girl at work plays it, and I can't help but feel it, on some new-jack-gospel-swing level...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Who DIDN'T see the preacher's lover bein' a dude from a mile away? I mean, the song's called "TRAPPED IN THE [MOTHERFUCKING] CLOSET." He's about as subtle as a circus clown.

The voice on the other end of the phone sounds NOTHING like a woman's voice. Dead giveaway too.

I honestly fail to see what's so great about it.

I guess there are a fair share of guys that watch soap operas too.

• honestly fail to see what's so great about it.

I guess there are a fair share of guys that watch soap operas too.

well i was stuck in traffic listening to one of the more popular urban stations and this song came on today.

when i heard pt. 2, i immediately compared it to a soap opera as well...but shit, if i am stuck in traffic, and have listened to all the discs in my car for this week, and have heard the radio's playlist numerous times, and don't wanna hear the sound of cars...i'm saying this track really caught my attention until the very end listening to all the lyrics too!

call it loofah if u please, but i find it amusing.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

all right, i just got around to listening to these.

anybody got part 3 to post?