FRIENDLIEST / RUDEST CITIES IN NORTH AMERICA

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    honolulu is pretty friendly if you aren't a tourist

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Definitely find native New Yorkers to be friendly.

Admit Boston is rude, some people seem to take pride in it...

I found people in SF to be pretty rude when I was out there,
    got a lot of attitude when we could go to bars and clubs,
    but maybe that was just my natural Bostonian rudeness cause & effect?

Chicago was pretty friendly - I took a 3 day solo vacation there,
    and found myself talking to strangers all over the place.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Top 5 Rudest:
    3. DC

you got it fucked up. or you're in the wrong part of town.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I'd put Vancouver in the Top 5 nicest. I was there a week and was given weed from locals I'd just met and approached by some hot girls.

One thing I hate about LA is that you have to do back flips to get with certain girls, where as NYC - I'm usually approached by them. When it happens I'm completely blown away.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Top 5 Friendliest:

1. Chicago
    2. Detroit
    3. Montreal
    4. NYC
    5. Denver

Top 5 Rudest:

1. Newark
    2. Boston
    3. DC
    4. LA
    5. NYC

shit, the longer i live here the longer i would have to disagree about denver people being friendly. especially the hip hop "scene", most of these fucks are complete egomaniacal assholes. and an average day walking down the street, you're 10 times more like to get mean mugged than to get a smile from somebody.

i always heard canadian cities were very friendly and welcoming. new yorkers have always been assholes, so have jersey folks ( ). Something about that new england air....

but hey i'm from NE and I turned out OK, and a lot of the NE dudes on here seem cool. Records must chill people out.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Native New Yorkers are some of the nicest people I've ever met. They don't put up with bullshit, but they are very social and accepting. It's the transplants that are the dickheads. The asshole banker from ohio who thinks he can be a dick to people now that he live in NYC.

yeah actually i will retract my statement about new yorkers cuz you're right, natives were cool. transplants not. but in a city that big you can't really pinpoint an overall attitude of the people...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I'm surprised no one said Portland or Seattle for nice places. Those would be my top two for over-polite nail biters.
    For real. There's some nice folk in the NW.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    friendliest= AUSTIN
    rudest= BOSTON
    peace, stein. . .

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    wow. honestly, im surprised to see LA on that list. and i am no fan of LA. but i think the people are actually pretty friendly. its tough to make a general call about LA like that because it is so spread out and the neighborhoods are distinctly seperated from each other.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Portland: Friendly.
    Seattle: Friendly.
    Chicago: Friendly enough.
    Wheaton: Friendly if Born Again.

and what's all this about Batavia?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Oooh ooh! I wanna play!

Friendliest:

Taipei
    San Diego
    NYC
    Benson, Arizona
    Bangcock

Evilest:

DALLAS (and all surrounding areas....by a long shot... god how I hate those people)
    Seoul (rude!)
    LA (if only for the way you fuckers drive)

hmmm... thats all I can really come up with.

Everybody that I talked to in NYC was super friendly, even though I was obviously a tourist. People went out of their way to help us get around, and I found myself in radomn conversations with people all the time. The night I went out with Delay, 2 different people offered me cocaine! I don't even do coke, but I was like WOW, how friendly!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

who the hell are you and why are you breathing the same air as me?

El Paso[/b]

some of my real good dudes are from this city, as is my Ex so from my overall experience i would say EPT folks are pretty good. But....i did actually get the "what you lookin at" one time there...

...from a cop!!!

serve and protect my ass...dude looked like he wanted to stomp me out on some "you used to pick on me in middle school" steez.

needless to say i said "nuffin"..

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

Philly belongs in the rude top 5.

cosigned! when I first went to Philly and NYC I was shocked at how everyone in Philly was, and how chill NYCers were.

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    1. Vancouver / Victoria (Super Friendly)
    2. Calgary
    3. any city in Belgium
    4. Cleveland
    5. San Fran

Punk Asses
    1. DC
    2. Boston
    3. Dallas
    4. London
    5. Toronto

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i agree with the transplant NYC thing

native New Yorkers are usually nice. very quick and not to take any bullshit, but its the people who move here that are the dicks

it is an old adage that New Yorkers are rude. so these fucks come from other states and go "hey i will be like a New Yorker"

and the thing i hate more than that is people saying theyre FROM NY. if you were born in Wisconsin you are not FROM NY!!!

FACT

PS- http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=630F0C047C246D3E

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    hello, how are you today?

Montreal
    NO
    Memphis
    NYC
    St. Louis

who the hell are you and why are breathing the same air as me?

El Paso
    LA
    (parts of) Toronto
    Allentown
    Batavia

This is real accurate, although I would replace Memphis with Austin and St. Louis with Indianapolis, and replace El Paso with Dallas.

lol.

i should also add Baltimore and DC to friendliest - i'm not joking! admittedly, this is memories of yesteryear i'm talking about. we used to go all the time when i was growing to visit family and i was always floored at how nice and chatty folks were (coming from Toronto)...especially at the height of "DC is the most dangerous city in N America" and all that.

Charm City has been a bit cold as of late. Maybe I'm just going to the wrong parts.

Evilest:
    Seoul (rude!)
    Yup.

• Philly belongs in the rude top 5.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

I found downtown Chicago to be more self-contained and seasonally depressed than rude.

• Philly belongs in the rude top 5.

Last time I was in Philly I witnessed a cabbie get pulled out of his car and basically lynched by like 5 dudes. Anecdotal evidence, but I've been in NYC for a year & a half, and have yet to see anything nearly as brutal as that...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    1. Vancouver / Victoria (Super Friendly)

I love Victoria, if I ever decide to start a family I'm doing it there. Too bad when the earthquake hits it's doomed.

Wish I could contribute more to this thread, haven't traveled enough (within North America). Everywhere I been there's an equal amount of nice/not-so-nice people, it's all dependent on personal experience IMO.

Has anyone come across a sold survey yet? Most hated/Most loved cities?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I guess we all have different experiences..

I lived in L.A. for a minute(more like a long vacation)..I lived in Echo Park and I found the folks in the neighborhood to be pleasant...Hollywood was another story however. San Francisco was great...when I would go out, I would end up in lengthy conversations with strangers of all types...

Cosign on Vancouver/Victoria niceness...almost pathologicaly freindly

New York City I found to be half rude/half nice...depends what area/neighborhood...fuck Queens.

Texas wise, I find Houston be the most unfriendly city...Denton, the nicest...

Tucson, AZ gave me a good vibe...

The most unfriendly place in the south has gotta be Alabama...fuck that state

Memphis and St. Louis get the thumbs up from me...

ehhh...assholes and kind people are everywhere I suppose.

Yes.

A lot of those assholes come from across the river and make this place unpleasant.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

Yes.

A lot of those assholes come from across the river and make this place unpleasant.

My Mom's side of the family is from there. It seems all nice and Southernly on the surface, but you'll do yourself a disservice if you leave your car. Everyone waves at you from their porches just like everywhere else down South, but yeah... evil lurks within.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    wow. honestly, im surprised to see LA on that list. and i am no fan of LA. but i think the people are actually pretty friendly. its tough to make a general call about LA like that because it is so spread out and the neighborhoods are distinctly seperated from each other.

HEY, fuck you too asshole!

Is that Jeezy in your avatar?!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Is that Jeezy in your avatar?!

yeah

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    For the most part, Seattle was the friendliest place in terms of just walking bout the city, Really relaxed atmosphere that reminded me too much of Australia.

LA is crazy, I understand the women : men ratio is fucked up, but i've met the most over-friendly women in LA who would take their clothes off and dance in front of the hollywood sign for you and talk about how when they got their vagina waxed on thanks giving they called it the 'plucked turkey' and then the polar opposite of horribly stuck up women who would yell 'rape' if you asked them for the time. In LA, everyone is struggling so hard to be different that they're all basically the same. It's a cool place and a disgusting place.

Berkley is a time-warp, place is stuck. it doesn't change. I couldn't live there because I would never progress or do anything, I wouldn't make music - I'd just eat brownies and get someone to feng shui my house.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I'd have to vote for Cleveland as being one of the friendliest (or at least attitude free). I moved there without knowing a soul and found more friends there in one month (that I still stay in touch with 18 years later) than it took me to find in DC in my first two years here. DC's friendly now but I've been here a LONG time.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I've traveled a few places in my time, and here's my take on some of these places:

1. Akron/Cleveland, OH:
    -Very friendly place(s). People are generally willing to let you into unfamiliar social circles and treat you like family.

2. Milwaukee, WI:
    -At best, superficially friendly. That is, people will front the role like they're cool with you, but will never invite you into their social realm. The people strike me as very insular and xenophobic, relating closely only with friends they've known from grade K.

3. North Carolina (in general):
    -People there are very friendly. They are quite genteel and willing to engage you in conversation. They'll also truly accept you into their social realms and introduce you around to their peoples as their "boy". These new acquaintance, in turn, will treat you like they've know you forever.

4. Dallas, TX:
    -The folks I met in Dallas were cool. This was mostly at bars as I was there for a research conference last year. I had some of the coolest conversations at Dunston's Steakhouse, with cats I did know from Adam. These dudes were really friendly, down-to-earth, and hilarious.

5. Washington, DC:
    -As gritty as its reputation goes, I found D.C. to be mad friendly. I've always gotten love there from strangers, acquaintances, etc. I've received love in some gully-ass parts of town, like SE.

6. Minneapolis, MN:
    -I was there for a job interview, but I tooled around town, visiting the Mall of America and such. Well, I met this fine-ass sister who worked at the Pioneer Press (St. Paul), who I asked about how it was for Blacks living in the city. She was very nice and friendly, and invited me to check out a "First Friday" shindig held in the mall that night. I rolled through and got crazy love from the folks there. The next day, I met some cats at a jazz bar, and exchanged bar stories and drinks with them the whole night. Cool peoples!!!

7. Atlanta, GA:
    -I've been to Atlanta several times, and I've found the people to be very down-to-earth and friendly. I first went down in '91 for Freaknik, and it was chill the whole time. Since, I've been there on business, travel, etc., and folks go out of the way to show warmth, provide assistance, etc. Incidentally, I tripped out on how many gay brothas are down there, on the public tip, like Black San Francisco or something. I had never seen that level of gay pride among brothas. Around my way, that was usually kept on the low.

8. New York, NY:
    -I have mixed feelings about NY. The peeps I met there (BDK, RIF, Mista Cee, Pos K., Easy Moe Bee, Al Capone, etc.) were mad cool. I even blessed the buddah with Capone and his boys in the 'Bush. Mind you, were NC dudes hangin' out in LG and gettin' mad love and props (on our music). We were shown all kinda love in Bklyn. In Mahattan, people are a little more aloof and unwilling to engage in conversation. They seemed much more noided than they did in Bklyn or Queens for that matter.

9. Los Angeles, CA:
    -The folks in Cali seemed a bit distant to me. My boy Asprin (and B-----) showed us love, but they're not native Californians. I was surprised by how few Black folks I saw around (which corroborated Census data that I have).

10. Toronto:
    -I thought folks were kinda a pensive in general. They seemed like they were in a shell or something. I thought the city was beautiful, but the people seemed really introverted.

11. Denver:
    -First of all, I think Denver is wack (really backward and rustic). Anyway, I found the people there to be weird and distant. I met one chill dude, a concierge at the hotel where I was staying (for a research conference). But, Denver is not a place I will ever return to visit. And to think, I had an interview at UC-Denver back in 2001. That would have be a mistake to move there.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak