Gabor Szabo vs. Larry Coryell

2»

Comments

• I just don't think Gabor VS Larry is a good matchup.
    Their styles are almost NOTHING alike.

Well, I just thought...jazz guitar v. jazz guitar...nuff said.

But clearly, the lines are drawn...you either like SMOOTH-ASS MILQUETOAST or THE PROG ACE FREHLEY.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Who would CHICO choose?
    He had both.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Corea...

i always found this dollarbincommonECMschitt enjoyable:

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I just don't think Gabor VS Larry is a good matchup.
    Their styles are almost NOTHING alike.

Well, I just thought...jazz guitar v. jazz guitar...nuff said.

But clearly, the lines are drawn...you either like SMOOTH-ASS MILQUETOAST or THE PROG ACE FREHLEY.

damn, i thought i deleted that one.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    SMOOTH-ASS MILQUETOAST or THE PROG ACE FREHLEY.

Naw, that's bullshit, yo.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    those proggy style overkill solos that just make me take the record off.

dropped in to listen to

Groovy rhythm section with Chuck Rainey and Bernard Purdie, but as soon as I heard the guitar, I was like, "aw, this is the type of record I'd buy but never listen to".

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    and I'll still take Harvey Mandel over both of 'em

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Larry Coryell is kinda gross.

cosign

Gabor Szabo - "dreams" is whats up.

Major on this record. I can never find a clean enough copy though, everyone I've come up on is snap crackle pop.

Coryell is not to be overlooked though, I just think that the supporting cast on most of his records is pretty weak. I mean studio guys for Vanguard vs. dudes for Skye and Verve? Are you kidding me?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Coryell is not to be overlooked though, I just think that the supporting cast on most of his records is pretty weak. I mean studio guys for Vanguard vs. dudes for Skye and Verve? Are you kidding me?

Coryell's accompaniment on his first 3 albums for Vanguard:

Bobby Moses, drums
    Elvin Jones, drums
    Jimmy Garrison, bass
    Bernard Purdie, drums
    Albert Stinson, bass
    Ron Carter, bass
    Chuck Rainey, bass
    Jim Pepper, flute
    John McLaughlin, guitar
    Chick Corea, electric piano
    Miroslav Vitous, bass
    Billy Cobham, drums
    Chuck Rainey, bass
    Pretty Purdie, drums

And that Eleventh House lineup is sick, with he-who-cannot-be
    -named-on-Soul-Strut on drums ...

... if anything, the problem with Coryell's albums is
    Coryell, who has trouble laying back and letting shit just
    groove. And his vocal tracks are a nightmare.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Coryell's accompaniment on his first 3 albums for Vanguard:

Bobby Moses, drums
    Elvin Jones, drums
    Jimmy Garrison, bass
    Bernard Purdie, drums
    Albert Stinson, bass
    Ron Carter, bass
    Chuck Rainey, bass
    Jim Pepper, flute
    John McLaughlin, guitar
    Chick Corea, electric piano
    Miroslav Vitous, bass
    Billy Cobham, drums
    Chuck Rainey, bass
    Pretty Purdie, drums

And that Eleventh House lineup is sick, with he-who-cannot-be
    -named-on-Soul-Strut on drums ...

I shut up now. I don't have those first two, and the players later on go downhill. Not to say all those guys are my favorites, but I need to get up on the Cobham, Elvin Jones, and Purdie joints pronto.

• can't front on this:

great escape!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Keep Smilin'

• he-who-cannot-be-named-on-Soul-Strut on drums ...

whats the deal?

btw gabor is killing coyrell. too much noodling, not enough heart.

• That album Coryell cut with his old rock band the Free Spirits is totally off-the-chain. Hard to believe that jazz-rock was a good idea once, although I remember reading somewhere that all or some of the band members wished they could have stretched out more (the songs are experimental, yet short enough that they could have been played on Top 40 stations...maybe that's why this elpee is so good, because they don't wear out their welcome???). It's been reissued recently, check it out.

• genomgenom 19 Posts
    gabor szabo hands down. can i get a on "The wind, the sky, and diamonds"

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Szabo is a totally different sound than coryell. Szabo LPs are amazing top to bottom.

Coryell is much more fusion, though I find his earlier records like his self titled and Barefoot Boy more blues , jazz , rock.

Morning Sickness will always be my cut... mostly for Bernie Purdie's drum work.

And the Great Escape is another jam....

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    I recently downsized my large collection of Coryell albums to 'Basics' ('76 issue of unreleased '69 sessions), 'Coryell', 'Barefoot Boy' and my favourite 'The Real Great Escape'

The rest of his stuff I had was terrible.

Only have 'The Rambler' by Gabor but checking for those earlier LPs. Some of his output is truly tepid orchestral schmaltz of the worst kind though

my verdict = A TIE

• FeldmanFeldman 50 Posts
    Gabor is tight, those impulse sessions with Chico at the head are some of my favorite records, and one of those early digging memories where shit just clicked together and I tastes were developed, esp when he penned the song

also on that gypsy guitar tip, i'm a big fan of this album.....

.....can't figure out how to get a picture in my post from my phone, but it's Attila Zoller gypsy cry on embryo

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    utters said:

Only have 'The Rambler' by Gabor but checking for those earlier LPs. Some of his output is truly tepid orchestral schmaltz of the worst kind though

my verdict = A TIE
    @utters 

Start off with this album and you will see the light:

Diplo's review for Turntable Lab

In the country of Hungary, they still have traveling Gypsies snd shit. The go around on Vespa's and play sitars now, but they are still all about the free spirited musicianship and mack mode, as Gabor demonstrates. It is the kind of music that sll the hot English girls that over did the mascara had sex to in the sixties. Just cool type shit. Like you gotta be sitting in a cafe' with a goatee and a sunglasses on to really feel the effects. Gabor has some very listenable records on Impulse. I love his stuff, very melodic with his hungarian ethnic music steeze coming though somehow. He is usually playing guitar real well, but here he picks up the sitar and can't stop getting loose. This record is a jazz dance super sitar Bernard Purdie on drums type record, with a bunch of spiritual Krsna song titles. I ate Krsna food at a rainbow gathering once so I can bob my head to this record and Rasa on the regular. You don't even know rock and roll until you have heard "Paint it Black" on a sitar.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I like "Spaces" from Larry Coryell, though I'd pick Gabor Szabo in the comparison.  Here is my joint off of "Spaces" (which I also freaked on the beat tip years ago):

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak