Gabor Szabo vs. Larry Coryell

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited July 2016 in Music Talk

vs.

Is it even a fair fight?

Comments

• "The Lady in the Moon" by Szabo is KILLER right now.

• Too easy-- Gabor Szabo.

And yeah, I was tempted to post "Lady in the Moon" in the "part of a song that just kills you" thread for the piece a few minutes in where he starts playing weird overtones.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Gabor...all the way thru. Dude helped me a lot and he dont even know it ;-)

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Too easy-- Gabor Szabo.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Yo, this is crazy. Gabor hands down.

Something about Larry's stuff, it always starts out great and then I get bored half way through the song.

Gabor just nails it every fucking time. There's this one song on Mizrab, I can't remember the title, I've been listening to that almost every day for about 6 months

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Too easy-- Gabor Szabo.

like to add - spellbinder is my shit lately

• Yo, this is crazy. Gabor hands down.

So Gabor is whoopin dood's ass in the ring right now...who runs in to make it a 3 Way Dance and a little more competitive?

Those early Coryell records on Vanguard are pretty solid to great though. But I guess he doesn't have the staying power of THE SORCERER.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Gabor Szabo - Breezin'

One of the smoothest tracks I know of.

while i do enjoy a lot of coryell's stuff at times, he did too much fusiony crap to compare to szabo's far-more-solid discography. you must find a better competitor... maybe a more latin-influenced guitarist from the era?

oh by the way, let's not forget:

er for me.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I celebrate Szabo's entire catalog.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Too easy-- Gabor Szabo.

like to add - spellbinder is my shit lately

Thanks for mentioning this---been listening to him quite a lot lately. Totally forgot I owned Spellbinder...

If only I could find a copy of Jazz Raga

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Gabor certainly had more good records... but Coryell's great records are much deeper (and therefore ultimately more satisfying IMO)

deeper? in what sense?

Gabor is killing shit!

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    There's this one song on Mizrab, I can't remember the title, I've been listening to that almost every day for about 6 months

Are you talking about "Thirteen", the last song on the record? That's my shit right there.

But I can't hate on Larry, I really dig the Band of Gypsys vibe of this one:

YES thirteen!

I can't hate on Larry either, I got most of his records and enjoy every single one.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    deeper? in what sense?

uh... any sense in which music could be considered 'deep'

gabor's stuff is straightforward, thats all

no gypsy-hate here though, i do have more szabo records

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Larry Coryell is kinda gross.

gross? in what sense!

Deeper? no!

Gypsy love? I love a gypsy woman.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    gross? in what sense!

he's like the Ace Frehley of jazz guitar.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Larry Coryell is kinda gross.

cosign

Gabor Szabo - "dreams" is whats up.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I just don't think Gabor VS Larry is a good matchup.
    Their styles are almost NOTHING alike.

How about Larry vs HARVEY??

btw I think the Eleventh House albums are THE BOMB
    Alphonse Mouzon/Soul Strut beef notwithstanding...

Shit that's tough. I think i'm gonna have to go with Harvey on this one too..

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I just don't think Gabor VS Larry is a good matchup.
    Their styles are almost NOTHING alike.

How about Larry vs HARVEY??

Still unfair, since Harvey Mandel doesn't have Coryell's jazz leanings.

How about Gabor Szabo vs. Grant Green?

No, this thread can die here.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Larry Coryell records have always bugged the shit out of me 'cause years ago when I hadn't heard them I would grab 'em just based on all the musicians listed on the back covers. I figured man this has got to be good! But after maybe the first couple bars of decent intros on a couple tracks it would just launch into those proggy style overkill solos that just make me take the record off. I'd say a more decent match up would be:

Larry Coryell vs. Chick Corea

who's more mediocre? lol

Larry Coryell vs. Chick Corea

who's more mediocre? lol

YOU DID NOT! OMG!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Thanks for the Szabo knowledge, I have yet to check any of his product. I'll start with "Thirteen" and work backwards. I dunno, it always gave off a tepid vibe when I approached it. Like a watered-down Superman/Kryptonite scenario.

Ditto Coryell. And McLaughlin. And Stanley Clarke (and I am a bassist).

There are about 6 good Stanley cuts in his entire catalog that I celebrate, so I cannot board the hatting train to Clarkesville. "Ode to John (part 2)" even garners begrudging respect to McLaughlin (IIRC it's him widdling there?).

Corea... I don't have a problem with the image of fusion/fuzak etc. If you are learning to play, there is plenty in that there genre to melt the face. It's just that for every m3ltz0r there are 10 Fattburger sets in the bargain bucket. I was lucky with my first few sets to avoid the salutes to tepidness that constitue much of his output.

I can't really knock the guy after he's turned in that Akoustic Band stuff, esp. the one with Vinnie Colaiuta depping for Weckl at the Blue Note, Tokyo. Fire doesn't come into it. It's incandescent. I got to speak to him for a short time and he was remarkably humble... I was expecting a bit of scientology outheredness but no.

• Szabo....

Gypsy Queen, batches....

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Damn, I'd have say Larry Corryell but since y'all say Gabor Szabo...

I never heard a good GS's album, can you upload a couple of his best records in the Real Headz section, please?