Vinyl in 2006

funkyexamplefunkyexample 915 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Is it worth it to press records these days? I have been struggling with the idea for a few months now. Would you press less these days? I know the majors have started to cut their vinyl orders in at least half if not more.

Comments

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    it seems like less and less albums are available on wax. singles are usually still readily available but LPs seem to be becoming more scarce. maybe i'm just overreacting to the huge increase in mp3 technologies and such, but it surely seems like ipod dj's could easily get club/radio gigs now just as easily as an actual disc jockey (hard disk does not count as a disc!).... records seem to only be in demand for purists.

however, vinyl has been through hard times before... you never know what might happen...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

NEVER COMPROMISE, NOT EVEN IN THE FACE OF ARMIGGEDON!

• vinyl in 2006--anybody have suggestions for where can press up several hundred lps with nice packaging, solid wax? any good/bad experiences with pressing a limited vinyl run? companies to recommend that provide these services?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I would do it for the antiquity of music, if your music is dope and you construct a CD and vinyl, years to come that vinyl will be fun and scarce to have. Its historic preservation of music.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    Is it worth it to press records these days? I have been struggling with the idea for a few months now. Would you press less these days? I know the majors have started to cut their vinyl orders in at least half if not more.

vinyl is alive and well in the sub-market. no baller status that's for sure, though.

here are some general guidelines to think of before you press up:

1. it's not worth pressing anything unless you press at least a 1000 units. Vinyl doesn't make much money period, so with under a 1000 units your profit margin is just too thin.

2. make sure you have a distributor lined up. it can be a pain distributing all the vinyl yourself and will probably cost you more time and energy in the long haul.

3. know your market.

4. be sure it's dope. get a general consensus on how effective your vinyl will sell amongst your people and peers.

5. if you have samples in the project, make sure your pressing plant doesn't require you to sign a HFA agreement and, or does not care about samples.

hope this helps in deciding to press up. what kind of project are you talking about pressing?

peace.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    all i can say is CZECH for 45s

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    it seems like less and less albums are available on wax. singles are usually still readily available but LPs seem to be becoming more scarce. maybe i'm just overreacting to the huge increase in mp3 technologies and such, but it surely seems like ipod dj's could easily get club/radio gigs now just as easily as an actual disc jockey (hard disk does not count as a disc!).... records seem to only be in demand for purists.

however, vinyl has been through hard times before... you never know what might happen...

Ipod DJs = Hard Disk Jockeys?

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    Press your ish on vinyl, you'll be glad you did.. Even if all your peers are playing on Serato or CD's or whatever, most real djs want to have the vinyl back-up or for the collection. I think the packaging is more important now, you want something that is collectable.. Get some nice artwork for the label, don't do some weak-ass graphics..

Be Unique, do something fresh. Don't just start a label because no one will press your music, try and get your stuff out on another label first. That way a distributor will have already heard of you when you come knocking.

Good music needs Good Design, spend some money on making your stuff look professional and different than everything that is out there. Or do what I did, ask your super talented friends to help you out.

Spread the word, give you shit out too actual gigging djs. Go on-line and find the address' of some djs that might spin your style. Also a lot of these djs play from digital sources, you can probably save money by just emailing them the MP3 and you might get instant feedback that you can use on your one-sheet.

Remember everyone is a dj now, and everyone is gonna be looking for a promo, only give to your close friends and people that actually have gigs Send your stuff to magazines, stores wherever that it might help spread the word..

Make a one-sheet for every release, this is what the on-line stores will use to sell your record and what the distributor uses to get stores interested. Don't go over-board explaining every bit of the record, just one or two sentences per track should work.

Get a hot remix from a known producer or group on your first release, this is really important if you're an unknown producer. This will get people interested and will help push sales.

SOUND QUALITY this is super important Get your stuff mastered if you can, this can help quite a bit.. Also really focus on your mix down, make sure every part is as clear and loud as it can be.

Test your shit, take your song burn it on cd-r and play it out as many times as you can.. The best parts and the worst parts of the song will stick out when you play them out live, and any energy drops or weird bits will be instantly noticed. This is an important step of my process, we usually mix down the song a couple of times and re-work parts after seeing how they work out live.

Make invoices for everything you send to the distributor and check that its paid every quarter.

Pay your artist whatever the royalty rate is, plus if you license the track make sure you pay them on that to. If you treat your artist right, they will love you for it and you will get a superior product.

Keep you ear too the street, listen to what is out there, and don't just jump on whatever bandwagon is big. The true test of a good label is that they have a defined sound or in the case of Ninja Tune they have a defined Non-Sound. But the idea is too have people seeking your label out, cause they know they can get a good product every time. Don't rush out and put anything out unless your 100% sure its golden..

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

Ipod DJs = Hard Disk Jockeys?

exactly.

i wanna take it to the next level and hook up 2 mp3 cell phones and dj while text messaging. get all them club gigs. shit yeah.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Someone recently told me that more vinyl is pressed these days than ever before.

Can anyone bust or confirm this myth?

• monopolmonopol 13 Posts
    THIS PLACE IS PROFESIONAL , MY RECOMENDATIONS ,

http://www.gzvinyl.cz/index.php?lang=en