how do you open your dj set?

2»

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    At a hip-hop club I start off with AC/DC, The Smiths and Nirvana. Then I scream on the crowd and tell them they don't know shit if they are not feelin' the music.

This happend to me at a party Premier was playing at!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    that reminds me. has anyone seen someone putting cash into a jukebox while you are DJing?

Nope, but I've seen a regular put on his iPod earbuds and read a book at the bar. Thanks for coming, sport.

• pookeyblowpookeyblow 406 Posts

Best fake account ever.

Say what????????????

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    usually by asking someone to go tell the bartender to cut the jukebox....

that reminds me. has anyone seen someone putting cash into a jukebox while you are DJing?

yes, happens all the time at this one little bar shingaling and I DJ....there is a wall between the bar and the space where we are set up...we can come in, set up and get rolling without half the bar even seeing us, so I guess they still think the jukebox is still going while we are playing. I wonder if they get peeved that their Johnny Cash song never comes up...

Ditto at the BREAKFACE! spot. And the jukebox is right next to the dj setup. folls roll up and don't even notice the shit-ton of records they are tripping over and dude with a big pair of silver headphones on the decks.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Nope, but I've seen a regular put on his iPod earbuds and read a book at the bar. Thanks for coming, sport.

That is too funny! I had the same thing happen to me and he was NEXT TO THE BOOTH MONITOR with plenty of other seating options. How weird is that? And it wasn't even 'iPod Night' !

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    couple of my fave 'warmers'...

Silvia Striplin-Can't Turn Me Away

Tonight's The Night - RedMan

Yes. Also, Rise- Herb Alpert or Bounce Skate...

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I always "bless" my sesssion with "The Lord's Prayer" by Sister Janet Mead. It always bugs folks out and it sets the mood for whatever I plan to play.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    I like to open with a "give yourseld a stereo checkout" over the intro to "in the mood" by Tyrone Davis. If im on last or get the house party "wind it up" motion i like to finish with "if you've never been away" by ulrich schnauss. Get the fuck out, but heres a tune so you do it with a smile.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    I like to start with "Strokin" extended 12" mix by Clarence Carter and I play that shit all the way through.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    fuck the previous dj...run the needle across whatever bullshit record he was playing..(that way you'll get the crowds attention)...grab the mic and say "YA'LL MUTHAFUCKAS READY FOR THE REAL SHIT SAY HOOOOO!!!!!" at this point drop a loop of Flash's theme by Queen on -8 pitch then lead the crowd in the call/response of your choice
    something like "when i say dj...yall say ... (insert dj name here) ...dj ... (name)... dj... (name) "

then say "big shout to (fake celebrity who really isn't there) in the house..i see you dog...imma bout to do this....here we go "

then transform scratch into whatever song you choose to play..

HA !

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    chinese beauty - lennie hibbert
    black gunn - augustus pablo
    hymn to mother earth - demon fuzz
    tin tin deo - junior mance
    devotion - earth wind and fire
    just my salvation - rance allen
    mood indigo - nina simone
    happiness - lionel hampton

that kind of stuff

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    well, i start out pretending im grandmaster flash, what would he do to rock the crowd, put on some dopeass oldschool shit, the mexican maybe, or some mandrill, i might throw on a couple of cutback recs just to test the set, see if the needles are jumpin off, if the crossfader works ok, stuff like that... check out the crowd, who's up, who's at the bar, what do they want/ need to get down to, try to feel that and so on...................!