Tripped out sessions by traditional Jazz guys

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited February 2016 in Music Talk
What are your favorite tripped out records by classic/traditional Jazz musicians? And why?

Mine:

1. Leroy Vinegar - The Kid and Glass of Water - two tripped out, but still mellow Jazz Funk sessions with a totally different feel from his other work.

2. Fatty George (Austrian clarinet Jazz musician and composer who mostly played Swing)

3. TRIP "A Rock opera" - psych Jazz to the fullest.Can't think of any others right now. What are your favorite two-faced musicians???

TAGGED:

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    This is my shit... there are loads of these. Some faves:

Charles rouse - "two is one" on strata-east.
    Dizzy Gillespie - "Portrait of Jenny" on perception, and the other one.
    Ted Curson - "pop wine" on futura.
    Hampton Hawes - "universe" on prestige.
    Frank Foster - "the loud minority" on mainstream.
    Yusef Lateef - "hush n' thunder" on atlantic. (etc.)
    Charles Moffett family vol. 1

Gil Melle has another LP called "water birds" that's more modern jazz than straight-up electronics.

Love both the vinnegar LPs you mentioned.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Bill Evans w/ George Russel Orchestra "Living Time"

Great session with a big orchestra including Tony Williams, Webster Lewis, Ron Carter, Herb Bushler a.o.
    More "out" and electric than most of Evans' other material. Likely to be considered a dud by hardcore fans, and one could argue that this is not the best setting for his piano playing, but I still like it a lot.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

don't know that one. who are the players?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

I really like Dizzy. Those Perception LPs are not his only funkyones. There are at least 6 funky and good Dizzy Gillespie records. At least one Euro only release. I can't remember the title. I almost bought it. A French record by Dizzy...

• Max Roach-Memeber Don't Git Weary (love this lp)
    Herb Gellar-Rhyme or Reason
    Archie Shepp-Attica Blues
    Oliver Nelson-Skull Session
    Art Blakey-Child's Dance
    Dizzy Gillespie-Afro Cuban Jazz Moods
    Woody Herman-The Raven Speaks
    Lionel Hampton-Them Changes
    Louis Armstrong-and friends w/leon thomas doing creator has a master plan
    Roy Haynes-Hip Ensemble
    Chico Hamilton-The Master
    Shelly Manne-Mannekind
    Paul Desmond-Skylark

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I would include Miles' "On The Corner". It's not my cuppa, but I dunno, maybe the recreational smokers are feeling it.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

This is tripped out?? I'll give it a spin tonight.

• I don't know who would describe Gil Melle as "traditional jazz"....

I know Pee Wee Russell did a pretty far out session or two for Impulse.

I don't know who would describe Gil Melle as "traditional jazz"....

I see what you're saying. But I was thinking of his Blue Note 10" releases as
    compared to these two.

But I don't get the whole tripped out vs. traditional dichotomy though. All jazz is approaching tripped out in my world.

• I would go as far as to say that his Blue Note (and Prestige)stuff is pretty far-out, modernist stuff (even for it's time). While he was never an "out" guy, he wasn't "in" either.

I agree with your assessment of jazz in general though.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Trane wasn't very "traditional" anymore at this point, but this is about as literally "tripped out" as it gets:

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

But I don't get the whole tripped out vs. traditional dichotomy though. All jazz is approaching tripped out in my world.

Well, I didn't know how else to describe it. I guess I was just asking about surprising records by Jazz musicians. With a totally different feel and style. There are different styles in Jazz. And not all Jazz is tripped out.

I remember a record by Chris Barber. He usually plays and directs boring Dixieland Jazz. But he once recorded an LP with super funky songs. A live set with a totally different vibe.

Now don't say that you think that those two Leroy Vinegar records are just what you would expect upon hearing Leroy's other records. The Kid and Glass of Water are very different from any other of his records. Don't you think?

Well, I didn't know how else to describe it. I guess I was just asking about surprising records by Jazz musicians. With a totally different feel and style. There are different styles in Jazz. And not all Jazz is tripped out.

I remember a record by Chris Barber. He usually plays and directs lame and boring Dixieland Jazz. But he once recorded an LP with super funky songs. A live set with a totally different vibe.

Now don't say that you think that those two Leroy Vinegar records are just what you would expect upon hearing Leroy's other records. The Kid and Glass of Water are very different from any other of his records. Don't you think?

Yes. I understand what you're saying. I was mostly responding to Larry in our Melle discussion. So this comparison is mostly within the artist discography, not jazz as a whole. While Melle's work has always been innovative and experiemntal, I think the Andromeda OST is way outside even HIS previous recordings.

Here's another:

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

The other Brom LPs I've heard are more swing and big band jazz. I think these are his only jazz-funk efforts, or am I wrong? Both are pure

Can somebody recommend another dope Brom LP?

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts

Add "Giant Steps" too. Absolutely smoking bands on these records.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Add "Giant Steps" too. Absolutely smoking bands on these records.

His version of Roy Head's "Hush" is

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

This is tripped out?? I'll give it a spin tonight.

For Dizzy I'd say yes.
    I just plain like it, too

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts

• downtown72downtown72 125 Posts
    breezing through here, did anyone mention "Money Jungle" w/ Duke Ellington, Roach, and Mingus? the title track alone has always been

i think it's the Mingus basslines that really deliver the dark edge on this one...

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    I remember a record by Chris Barber. He usually plays and directs boring Dixieland Jazz. But he once recorded an LP with super funky songs. A live set with a totally different vibe.

this might be it... although its not a live album (?)

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Gerry Mulligan - The Age Of Steam
    Sonny Rollins - Nucleus
    Oliver Nelson - Skull Sessions

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I really like Dizzy. Those Perception LPs are not his only funkyones. There are at least 6 funky and good Dizzy Gillespie records. At least one Euro only release. I can't remember the title. I almost bought it. A French record by Dizzy...

are you talking about the one on Pablo from 1980?
    featuring Mike Longo?
    red vinyl?

• This is my shit... there are loads of these. Some faves:

Charles rouse - "two is one" on strata-east.
    Ted Curson - "pop wine" on futura.
    Hampton Hawes - "universe" on prestige.
    Frank Foster - "the loud minority" on mainstream.
    Yusef Lateef - "hush n' thunder" on atlantic. (etc.)
    Charles Moffett family vol. 1

Gil Melle has another LP called "water birds" that's more modern jazz than straight-up electronics.

Love both the vinnegar LPs you mentioned.
    some great mentions here. hawes' "universe" has always been a favorite of mine. beautiful stuff.

NOT a tripped out jazzsession, but McLean is definately leaping into something new on this

riding the wave of the later 70's disco(funk)jazz releases

pretty sure mr Mussolini was trying out something new on this 1974 Mirage session also:

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

are you talking about the one on Pablo from 1980?
    featuring Mike Longo?
    red vinyl?

no, a record on the America label. With two funky cuts and some nice explosive big band stuff. I was really surprised by that record. Some latin American influences as well. I can't remember the title. A...something...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Could be. Some songs have "tiger" or "lion" in their titles... that's all i can remember.

Could be. Some songs have "tiger" or "lion" in their titles... that's all i can remember.

no lions or tigers on this, acouple weird titles though that I have no idear what means... like Drat That Fratle Rat and Fegalemic Pegaloomer (???) perhaps the english strutters would know...?