Top 5 Running Backs

2»

Comments

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Tony Dorsett is a minor deity in Texas.

But he also had an uncanny ability to get my father incredibly pissed off with his "fartin' around in the backfield." However, when the man found an (pause) opening, it was over. That Monday Night Football 101-yard touchdown (against the Vikings?) was nextest level.

And, appropos of nothing in this thread, big up Billy Joe Dupree.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Tony Dorsett is a minor deity in Texas.
    But he also had an uncanny ability to get my father incredibly pissed off with his "fartin' around in the backfield." However, when the man Finally[/b] found an (pause) opening, it was over.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    not top five...but can't be effed with...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    1) Sanders
    2) Payton
    3) Simpson
    4) Dickerson
    5) Brown - only 5 because I never saw him play and maybe he could have cut the mustard in the modern game but I am sure 90% of the opposition couldn't have? Not his fault though.

I also think Bo Jackson had the potential to be up there but IIRC he had a hip injury that ended that career. I remember watching a Raiders game where he was total fire. Ran in a 91 yarder? BTW Tony Dorsett's was 99 yards. And Dallas were a man short on the field at the time.

Gary Anderson - good call. Amazing ability to change direction. Played with Lionel James, who was another wisp-like player, but neither were big enough to be every down players.

No love for Franco Harris, Hugh McElhenny, Mercury Morris and Herschel Walker?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    [ A lot of it probably has to do with the bitter war that the NFL and AFL went through in the mid 60's, and the fact that Al Davis was the AFL commissioner when all of that was going on. To this day the NFL and Al Davis have beef. It's a shame, though, because their were some great teams from the early days of the AFL that should be celebrated, like the Chargers from 1960 to 1965 (went to I think 4 out of 5 championship games), the Oilers, Dallas Texans, etc. But a lot of that old AFL history is just not shown.

This has been one of the most NRR threads in soulstrut history. Al Davis is the ultimate sonofabitch, his contribution to shaking up the complacent and overfed NFL hegemony and creating the NFL that we know and love today is oft overlooked, particularly today when all he does is screw the good people of Oakland and Los Angeles and he ruined the Oakland Colosseum for baseball and yet he can't restore a competitive level squad for the Raiders. Faaawwwk. Plus, he kinda looks like Robert Evans.

It's hard to say who the top 5 running backs are for me, I'm far too young to have seen some of the greats outside of NFL films presents theater with Steve Sabol. The Gayle Sayers films are pretty intense and he was[/b] played by Billy Dee Williams in Brian's Song.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Dorsett fumbled the ball way too much to be in any top-5, except maybe top five butter-fingered running backs.

I dont disagree with most of the players mentioned, but the fact that only one person named Marcus Allen shows how truly underrated he was, and I wasn't a fan of his at all. But check out these stats:

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=15

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I dont disagree with most of the players mentioned, but the fact that only one person named Marcus Allen shows how truly underrated he was, and I wasn't a fan of his at all. But check out these stats:

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=15

I'm guessing he set the record for most 1-yard touchdown runs.

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    Bo's Greatest hits

Great video of Bo Jackson. Imagine if his hip held up. . .

• mrfinewinemrfinewine 157 Posts
    >TOP 5 CAREER-SHORTENED RB's

what, no BILLY SIMS??

http://www.billysimsbbq.com/

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Or Kurt Warner (the RB not the QB)?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    >TOP 5 CAREER-SHORTENED RB's

what, no BILLY SIMS??

http://www.billysimsbbq.com/

Yeah, he should make that list too, no doubt. The forgotten great No. 20 for the Detroit Lions (between Lem Barney and Barry Sanders).

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    How old are you, edpowers?

oh, okay, that explains it... you really don't know schitt of which you speak. 8 years old when Dickerson came into the league and, like, 0 years old when Payton was a rookie. Me being older than dust, I remember both of these dudes' careers very vividly.

yeah,i started understanding football around 7 years old .....and watching Dickerson every sunday as opposed to Payton maybe my opinion is a bit biased....i wont deny it

So how were those Jim Brown games in person Phill ?

You don't need to see a player in person to appreciate what they did- it helps and it definitely gives you a better knowledge of what it really was as opposed to seeing the same old highlight clips, but you can still get a good idea of the greatness of a player who's time was before your time. I've seen enough highlights and read enough info from people who did see them to know that Jim Brown was a MONSTER and Gale Sayers was probably the most breathtaking player to ever touch a football. That's a lot different than saying that Walter Payton wasn't as consistent as Eric Dickerson, a statement that really is in no way factual, and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt by saying that your age is the reason why you'd make such an outlandishlessly incorrect assessment, rather than just saying that you stupid.

Phill Most' football knowledge > edpowers' football knowledge

and go ahead and bring that bet up again and again and put those LLLLLLLLLL's on the end of my name... it makes no difference. In the immortal words of that great american philospher Rasheed Wallace, "the sun even shines on a dog's ass some days".

are you done ?

now i can get back to counting your money

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

are you done ?

now i can get back to counting your money

i wipe my tookus everyday with more money than i donated to your charity case ass

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts