Attn.: ass-hurt whiteboys

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
http://suntimes.com/output/mitchell/cst-nws-mitch20.html#Is 'white boy' a slur? It sure isn't a complimentJuly 20, 2006BY MARY MITCHELL SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST[/b]Is "white boy" a racial slur? Judging from some of the debates that have occurred over the use of "white boy" by African Americans, I'd say the description is certainly heading in that direction. Until Roland Burris described his field of opponents as "unqualified white boys" during his Democratic primary race for governor in 1998, he was the front-runner. A day after making those comments before a predominantly black audience, Burris' political aspirations took a dive.Despite the fact that he has always been labeled as "not black enough" for some black voters, white voters were absolutely outraged by his use of "white boy."I'm bringing this subject up because of what happened to Ryan Rusch, the 14-year-old Beverly boy who was robbed and badly beaten, allegedly by three black youths. Rusch, who suffers from a heart defect, is in serious condition at an area hospital. He was taken from the scene of the crime -- a neighborhood park -- in an ambulance.Two 16-year-old boys have been charged with aggravated battery and robbery. And a 17-year-old, Micha Eatman, was charged with one count of robbery and aggravated battery. Eatman is in jail on a $300,000 bond.One of the juveniles apparently told police that Rusch was beaten and robbed because he was a "goofy-looking white boy," and police are continuing to investigate the incident as a "hate crime."So far, the Cook County state's attorney's office has rejected charging the teens with a hate crime. Apparently, prosecutors are operating on the belief that the attack was motivated by robbery rather than hate.But charging the teens with a hate crime reflects a community's outrage over intolerance, and I believe it has to be considered whenever race, gender, ethnicity and sexual orientation appear to be a motivation.Slur or insensitive description?In this instance, because the suspects are already charged with felonies, designating the attack as a hate crime wouldn't ratchet up the class of the crime. It would, however, give a judge more leeway in sentencing and would force these teens to deal with the underlying motivation for their purported attack.It would also go a long way toward dispelling the perception that there is a double standard when it comes to police charging someone with a hate crime.For example, there was little doubt that hate was the motivation when black youth Lenard Clark was brutally beaten in Bridgeport because the neighborhood already had the reputation of being hostile to blacks.But the motivation wasn't as clear when Keith P. Radloff was tracked down and murdered by Matthew Givens, a black bicycle messenger with whom Radloff had had a confrontation a day earlier.It also wasn't clear when Roy Trumblay, a 56-year-old White Sox fan, was beaten to death by 19-year-old Thomas D. Cooper, a black man who was determined to be mentally ill.That's why figuring out whether "white boy" is a slur or just an insensitive or inappropriate description of white people will likely become part of the discussion about whether the teens in the Rusch case will be charged with a hate crime.We need to be just as clearLike the dreaded n-word, "white boy" means something different depending on who is saying it and when. Although the term doesn't carry nearly the negative weight as the n-word, it's picking up some heft.Earlier this month, a black commissioner in Orlando, Fla., Daisy Lynum, stumbled into a fire storm when she said she didn't want "some white boy shooting my son or Tasing," as she argued that her son had been racially profiled by police. Despite fierce criticism, the commissioner stuck by her words, telling a local television station:"In the last week, I've been called more times than I have ever been called, probably in my life, for calling a white boy a white boy. Now when did that become a racial slur?"Ironically, the taunts that sealed the fate of a Nicholas Minucci, the Howard Beach man who was found guilty of a hate crime in the baseball bat attack on a black man last summer (the man had admitted going to the all-white neighborhood to steal cars), included both racial descriptions:"What's up, n-----s?" Minucci allegedly yelled at a group of would-be thieves before chasing them. "We'll show you not to come and rob 'white boys.' "In defending himself against the hate-crime allegation, a charge that could enhance his sentence, Minucci argued he used the n-word as a greeting rather than a slur. That argument didn't fly, and he was sentenced to 25 years in jail.We need to be just as clear about "white boy."When the pop group Wild Cherry sang the lyrics: "Play that Funky Music, White Boy" in 1976, it wasn't a putdown. But over the years, "white boy" has evolved into a subtle dig on white males. Black people know this.White people are starting to figure it out.Copyright ?? The Sun-Times CompanyAll rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    whiteboys are the only ones offended by the phrase "whiteboys."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I see an outraged PM in your immediate future...

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    "Stupid white boy" is unjustified in almost all cases.

• Wow, "faux-rillz", how "ass-hurt" do you think young Mr. Rusch is?

Flip the script on yr thread title subbing "you know what" for "whiteboys" and how does that play? I mean, what's really goin on man?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

This term does not offend those whiteboys who were not raised to act white.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

Wow -- really?

Why is this even being talked about?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    everyone who has posted in this thread so far is an ass-hurt white boy

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    i was riding the mass transit the other day & 3 middle-aged black gentlemen got on & sat right in front of me. they proceeded to talk about bbq restaurants in the city. i was reading a book & not really paying attention but kind of listening in (i'm always down to hear about dope bbq spots) when i noticed them kind of looking over at me. then one said in real low voice "except for them whiteboy places."

boy, was i pissed.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    boy, was i pissed.

who you callin "boy"??

• whiteboy, whiteboy turn that shit down
    you know that america don't wanna hear the sound
    of them whiteboys, whiteboys, whiteboys

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    boy, was i pissed.

who you callin "boy"??

oooo0000ooo....

I remember when Ali came to Australia and a television celebrity here by the name of Bert Newton said to him "I Like the Boy" - Which was his catch phrase at the time - No idea how what he was saying would be interpreted. BOY, did Ali get angry.

I don't think white people really have any place to be offended by shit like that except maybe the above train story cus that's a personal attack. if someone called me a cracker or a spick, I would not be offended in the slightest because i represent a race of people have done a hell of a lot worse.

I see white guys throwing up gang signs, wearing their flat peak hats with fake chains here in Australia and to me, that shit is rascist because they have no idea what any of that shit really means, I see 6 year old Aboriginal kids with big fake diamonte christian crosses around their neck because of 50 cent. No one knows that the whole bling, over the top thing is a throw back to slavery anymore, now we are all fucking slaves to our disposable income.

I'm talking 'ish.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

I don't think white people really have any place to be offended by shit like that except maybe the above train story cus that's a personal attack. if someone called me a cracker or a spick, I would not be offended in the slightest because i represent a race of people have done a hell of a lot worse.

No, you represent yourself, a person who has done absolutely nothing to make anyone's life worse.

No, you represent yourself, a person who has done absolutely nothing to make anyone's life worse.

You're right. I was talking shit.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    worst thread ever.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Pretty much.

I'm really good at killing threads so i'll just post this for consistency.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    worst thread ever.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Everything is a racial conspiracy for this board

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    i don't know what's worse. being an asshurt whiteboy OR being asshurt about asshurt whiteboys???

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.

Danny boy: please to be a little more obvious in your hopes of bringing folks to your level of thinking

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.
    worst thread ever.

Danny boy: please to be a little more obvious in your hopes of bringing folks to your level of thinking

Whatever white boy!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    the article itself is ten times worse than this thread.

interesting trivia though:

does anyone know where the terms cracker, honkey or peckerwood came from?

• the aricle itself is ten times worse than this thread.

interesting trivia though:

does anyone know where the terms cracker[/b] , honkey or peckerwood came from?

a whip cracker?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    boy, was i pissed.

who you callin "boy"??

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good one!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I knew a whiteboy once.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Sensitive?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    honkey

Bastardization of "Hungy," an early epithet for Hungarian immigrants in particular and Eastern European immigrants in general. In Barberton, Ohio, said immigrants still maintain a spot called the "Hunky Club." Good folks, but the burgers is only so-so.

And yeah, "cracker" is from GA/FL panhandle dudes who used to bring their cotton loads into cities with big horse teams and loud whips.

This thread is nowhere.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

This thread is nowhere.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

This term does not offend those whiteboys who were not raised to act white.

what about these guys, would they be offended?