tell me some U.K. hip hop

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
that sounds like outlaw posse(my afros on fire) or caveman.peace, stein. . .

Comments

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Yo stien.

you heard this one:

Some of it is very very good.

Also:

MC Mello/Thoughts Released

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts
    Also:

cosigning that too, listened to it the other day and I probably liked it more then than i did back in the day.

Other stuff like Outlaw and Caveman - there was a group called the Cash Crew that had some nice tracks. Green Grass was a good un. Is it safe to admit that Derek B had some tracks I liked too yet? A lot of the Kold Sweat stuff was ok in a similar vein.

• here are some of my favourites from that era.

hijack
    demon boys
    gunshot
    guttersnipes
    krispy 3
    london posse
    overlord X

they all vary quite a lot but if you look into these groups youll get a good idea of where uk hip hop started.

for more up to date groups check out

rodney p (ex-london posse)
    taskforce (preferably the first two releases 'new mic order' and 'voice of the great outdoors')
    diversion tactics (sample heavy hip hop crew working with a few american guys now (percee p, j-zone, huggy bear, etc...))
    foreign beggars (asylum speakers was a great album and now working with oh no etc...)
    jehst (earlier works - high planes drifter, people under the weather, etc...)
    ghost (top uk producer)
    roots manuva (duh!)
    dj vadim (possibly the uks most diverse producer, check his solo albums and the one self project)
    the p brothers
    skitz (pioneering uk producer, check the 'country man' album)
    dirty diggers (check out the 'freakishly strong' lp)
    the nextmen (again a few us collabos, they've been doing it for time too)
    i seem to have had a brain spasm and can't really think of any more (must be the heat!!) but here are some labels you could check too and maybe find some more...

Lowlife
    Zebra Traffic
    Ronin Records
    Breaking Bread
    Janomi (if its still alive)
    Heavy Bronx
    Dark Horizon

hope this helps

Is it safe to admit that Derek B had some tracks I liked too yet?

ha ha!
    I'm thinking of playing Bad Young Brother out on Friday night! I'm sure if it wasnt by Derek B and it had'nt charted more people would admit to liking it.

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    Also:

I never got into this album. The 'Comin Correct' twelve inch was so fucking great but when 'Thoughts Released' appeared it was a real disapointment. Didn't he do an album for Jazzy B's label that never came out?

London Posse are amazing though. Always been one of my favourite groups.

London Posse - Live Like The Other Half Do

• jonnycubajonnycuba 36 Posts
    Mc Storm - 'Playing the field' (produced by Cutmaster Swift) is a true bit of UK random rap...

& the MC Mello - 'Mello's gone Crazy' ep. on Funki Dredd is wicked!

• waximilienwaximilien 352 Posts
    my favourite UK hip-hop 12"s are still probably the very early mud fam stuff - especially the EP on ronin that agzi produced. in fact, all of those early ronin 12"s are tuff as fuck. "where my mind is at"/"blessed be the manner" - all that good shit. i can't actually remember what the last uk 12" i bought was. the last i got was something on big dada, but i mean actually shelled out hard-earned for

that's a bit sad really

• jonnycubajonnycuba 36 Posts
    Yeah 'pure power' on Ronin By Mc Force is dope

• nicholasnicholas 38 Posts
    well.
    what kind of shite you into?
    if you like your wacky/paul barman type thang:
    aspects
    infinite livez
    pitman

you into producers:
    mark b
    evil ed
    part 2

one man shows:
    braintax
    jehst
    ty
    tommy evans
    blak twang
    rodney p

my favourites:
    skinnyman
    life
    taskforce
    cappo
    phi life cypher
    klashnekoff
    foreign beggars
    universal soldiers

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

my favourites:
    skinnyman

YES!

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Most of the replies in this thread are for hip hop that peaked about 5 years ago, i'm not seeing a lot of love for new stuff so i'll recommend some...

For sick beats check out Chemo, Beat Butcha, S-Type, Sivey, Ghost, DJ Snips...
    For some great emcees check Dubbledge (real charismatic), Lowkey, Kyza, Reveal, Tony D, Wordsmith (although i think he doesn't make music anymore), Syanyde, Skriblah and a ton of others...

skinny was always my favourite emcee, but his last stint inside seemed to really change him. back when mud fam was him, mongo, chesta p etc. he was totally untouchable, but, as much as i'd like to, i haven't been able to get with much of anything since he started putting out solo material. it's the beats i don't dig more than anything. i want the old skinny - bouncin around at jams rockin the pink panther jacket.

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    skinny was always my favourite emcee, but his last stint inside seemed to really change him. back when mud fam was him, mongo, chesta p etc. he was totally untouchable, but, as much as i'd like to, i haven't been able to get with much of anything since he started putting out solo material. it's the beats i don't dig more than anything. i want the old skinny - bouncin around at jams rockin the pink panther jacket.

yeah those were the good old days. the mud files ep was dope.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=09C7574E138ED501

he still wears some crazy jackets mind.

Stein was asking about other uk acts like outlaw posse & caveman. I don't really remember there being any others in that mold. I guess he's looking some uk gems that wouldn't scare the dancefloor like say a Gunshot tune might...

maybe check ruthless rap assasins (although not for dancefloor either)

hah - exactly man. i dunno many homeless folk rockin gold teeth and avirex jackets.

too right on caveman. i can't think of anyone even close really. never had a lot ruthless rap assassins stuff - they were from manc weren't they?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Some stuff I've heard that's ok is Honky Kuljit, which had some great beats and wack rhyming, and Jon Doe Click.