Is it cool for a dj to "feel it" ? :no pasue:

edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
edited January 2016 in DJ Talk / Mixes
This has always been acceptable behavior to me. Until recently,at a party. Midway through his set, dj dude started feelin it! LOL !! (strong head nodding,overhead hand clapping & the "dj rock") ...yet,the floor was half empty the set was good, so it wasn't his fault (imo)....buti overheard some chicks next to me clowinin dude....my friends even joined in ......"he's sucking his own d*ck a little too much...it aint a good look" ....i tried to defend dude ...no luckDjs ....do you "get your boogie on" ?.....the "timing head nod" ? ....are you a "clapper" ? .......do you have "the focused face" ?non djs .....do you laugh at these folls when they "feel it"?
TAGGED:

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    [Young Phonics]Some of my best dancing experiences have been behind the decks, particularly when they put the pink laser-cone on me.[/Young Phonics]

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    From what you said there i think laughing at the dude ain't on, get those fools and make them stand up there and spin a few discs if they can !

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

I've been compared to Biz Markie in terms of how I look and act behind the wheels sometimes.
    Sometimes my tongue is sticking out and I'm not even aware of it.

AT ALL.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    Spin how ya like

• downtown72downtown72 125 Posts
    if the crowd ain't feelin it then hmmm... half empty floor? save it. a DJ thats rockin out him/herself without all (or most) of the party is definitely

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    you should always look like you're working hard, enjoying yourself, preferably some combination of the two...

But one time I was at an empty bar and the DJ was totally "feeling it"... it was a competent but not spectacular set... and it looked really funny/sad
    Kinetic

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

i overheard some chicks next to me clowinin dude....my friends even joined in ......"he's sucking his own d*ck a little too much...it aint a good look" ....i tried to defend dude ...no luck

Did the "Chicks" dance at all during the night *Not including with eachother...*?

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    its not acceptable. djs need to be in as much pain as possible.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    it really is a tough gig .....

stand on stage ......

spotlight !!

now make everybody happy

Did the "Chicks" dance at all during the night *Not including with eachother...*?

nope

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    [Young Phonics]Some of my best dancing experiences have been behind the decks, particularly when they put the pink laser-cone on me.[/Young Phonics]

lol...one night i dj'ed and some guy named me "flat eric" cause of my headboppin'...then again, all ladies like me "gettin' physical" while doing my thing....at least that's what I heard...but it has to be real though, thin line between feelin it and fakin the funk sometimes...a big no no are dj's who don't dance, show no movement at all and never smile...when the crowd feels that you are feeling your own music, there is nothing better...especially when the club is only half full, it helps to get the party going....all you wack dj's out there, don't be so stiff...you look like you got not only a stick, but the whole amazonas up yo ass, fo real (excluding baldheaded minimal techno dj's that act like scientists while working the fader to increase the volume of the incoming hihat at 5:40 min)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

But one time I was at an empty bar and the DJ was totally "feeling it"... it was a competent but not spectacular set... and it looked really funny/sad

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I catch myself doin some air guitar steez whenever I spin a brazillian joint with Lany Gordin fuzzin out on it, prolly , but who cares?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Dancing is one of the most self-conscious acts there is. Like Young Boss said, you gotta do the Funky George Costanza on the floor or people won't buy it. My guess is that your friends are too self-conscious and insecure to go dance themselves, so they resorted to shutting the DJ down.

nope

I'm not sure they get to bitch then. Shouldn't they be worried more about who's gonna pay attention to them, then what the DJ is doing???

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    you should always look like you're working hard, enjoying yourself, preferably some combination of the two...

most club/bar owners really do appriciate this...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I'd WAY rather watch a DJ that gets really into the music and doesn't give a fuck what people think. I still remember this dude like 5 years ago that was GOING OFF to "Nautilus", like seriously going off! He was dropping it like it was the biggest club bomb of the decade, I thought he has dope as fuck!

I think if you believe in the music others will join (eventually). WAY better then watching a DJ that just puts records on and has 0 personality.
    deezlee

its not acceptable. djs need to be in as much pain as possible.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    ...yet,the floor was half empty

For that dude, the floor was half full.
    deezleecapricornrising

• Special_EdSpecial_Ed 315 Posts
    Spinhowyalike

nope

I'm not sure they get to bitch then. Shouldn't they be worried more about who's gonna pay attention to them, then what the DJ is doing???

Side note: These are probably the same chicks that use an ipod for a DJ at their wedding.

I still remember this dude like 5 years ago that was GOING OFF to "Nautilus", like seriously going off! He was dropping it like it was the biggest club bomb of the decade, I thought he has dope as fuck!

fucking Dj Westbam played this as the 2nd last track at the big ending of the love parade in berlin inbetween technorecords back in 1998 in front of a few 100thousand people. I was standing there with marc hype like wtf...dude made our day...I remember he was boppin too...so yeah, if you party on a record you play that not many people understand as a club record, it helps to spread the vibe....

yeah, but dj's are self-centered people by nature .....you have to be

and djs do alot of annoying & selfish shit (excessive talking,excessive scracthing,repeating the goddamn intro to goddamn "pass the goddamn courvoisier" over & over & over again)

although a party goer being annoyed by a dj dancing is very extreme and petty...it can still be an annoyance if you aren't making more people dance

kinda like a comedian laughing at his own jokes ...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

funny/sad

How you gonna put NOZ on blast like that.

• beatstew72beatstew72 314 Posts
    i feel it when i spin...no shame in gettin down to tunes you dig maing. fuck a crowd that doesnt want to dance...it's them i'd find as
    deezlee

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    yeah, but dj's are self-centered people by nature .....you have to be

and djs do alot of annoying & selfish shit (excessive talking,excessive scracthing,repeating the goddamn intro to goddamn "pass the goddamn courvoisier" over & over & over again)

although a party goer being annoyed by a dj dancing is very extreme and petty...it can still be an annoyance if you aren't making more people dance

yeah some dj dudes are real jerks, but then again people in general are real jerks as well.

I sometimes "feel it"(SHUTTUP FAUX) when I'm deejaying. I've noticed the crowd tends to get hyped more when the deejay is actually enjoying himself as well.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    I think the bol Willow wins the "feelin hisself" award, but in a good way. Dude is just AMPED.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Enki's got a nice lil headbob goin.

B-Casue's got the lobster grab.

Oli Wang's got a MEAN headnod.

Matthew Africa's got a lil hip shake action.

REP YOUR LOCAL DJ DANCE EXPERIENCE.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I gets down! I only play shit that I love. The way I see it, if the DJ's not fillin' it in hiz nekk, why should the crowd fill it in they nekk?

B/W

House DJs usually looked incredibly bored.
    deezlee