Collector Showdown......

2»

Comments

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    I don't think the Ill-shit having should count. I've sold off tons of great records, doesn't mean I don't know or remember anything about em.

Latin Psych & Rock. Lets go brother. Heads up for a R****s & C****** EP.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    SoulOnIce vs. Rockadelic

Don't mess with Boston!

Honestly...no way...I realize Rock would SON me on the psych knowledge...

I'd probably do OK on U.S. Psych but if we get into Euro stuff I'm lost.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

A-ko vs. TheMack

TheMack needs to be paired with somebody more profane and explosive--perhaps balz.

• Alright...so here's the thing...

A friend of mine is a television head, and now has his own HDTV channel launching here in T.O. Actually it has already launched and is doing fairly well so far. He is a large scale record collector himself (mostly of the King label) and has started a program that he has asked me to let you all know about.

Essentially, this show "Collector Showdown" is as follows. Two heads with specific knowledge in a field go head to head in a competition to prove that they know far more than their opposition. So far they have filmed a comic book showdown, where a Marvel and DC guy went head to head, and each were asked 10 high level questions pertaining to their field. The competitor who gave the most correct answers won, and was then treated to a $1000 dollar spending spree at a comic convention. They then had I believe 5 minutes to spend the entire amount. They have also done a few other areas of collecting, but what areas I forget at the moment.

Soooooooooooo.....at this point obviously he is looking to do one with the record collector crew. He has asked that i bring this to the table with you crew to see if anyone might be interested in taking part. It does not matter where you are located, as they will consider anyone initially if there area of speciality is intriguing. So i don't care if you do Reggae (Kev I'm looking at you), Soul, K-tel, Cheescake covers, Hip-Hop, Polka, straight edge punk.....you get it!!!

If you are interested, PM me and let me know.

Again, this is not my project, as i am just helping out a friend. I will pass on the info to my friend and you can all take it from there.

Hope some of you are interested.

Cheers,

Aaron

Dude..your friend could have the next 'yo momma' on his hands..

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Add quotes pleez!

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    I don't think the Ill-shit having should count. I've sold off tons of great records, doesn't mean I don't know or remember anything about em.

but thats why it should be a combination! The true[/b] collectro both owns and knows.

-peeJ

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    This thread is inching towards greatness.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts

The Peter Yonitz Trio just are just told how much people are paying for thier private, seafood restaraunt jazz record.

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    It should be Knowledge of Breaks and Samples.... And have it in who wants to be a millionre format or Jeapordy Format! "I'll take GangStarr Samples 500, OH SNAP THE DAILY DOUBLE LP" !!! Now that should be done, I know sombody here on the strut could make this happen...

• "Treasure HD is a new Canadian 7/24 High-Definition specialty channel celebrating the rarely seen world of art, rare collectables and the inspired hunt by collectors for beautiful, interesting and unique treasures from around the globe and across history."

This kind of sounds like a 24-7 version of antiques roadshow. Someone needs to subscribe and post it up!

Quick Quiz....

1) What label did the legendary psych LP July come out on in Mexico?

2) The South American band Los Impalas released an LP in the U.S. under what name and on what local Cinncinati label?

3) What color vinyl was the second Toncho Pilatos LP on the Cronos label released on?

4) What Mexican band's name when translated to English means U.F.O.???

5) What Mexican band's EP's were banned by the government because of their subversive political songs and messages?

There are five off the top of my head....you get these w/o the help of Google and I'll be massively impressed.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Alright...so here's the thing...

A friend of mine is a television head, and now has his own HDTV channel launching here in T.O. Actually it has already launched and is doing fairly well so far. He is a large scale record collector himself (mostly of the King label) and has started a program that he has asked me to let you all know about.

Essentially, this show "Collector Showdown" is as follows. Two heads with specific knowledge in a field go head to head in a competition to prove that they know far more than their opposition. So far they have filmed a comic book showdown, where a Marvel and DC guy went head to head, and each were asked 10 high level questions pertaining to their field. The competitor who gave the most correct answers won, and was then treated to a $1000 dollar spending spree at a comic convention. They then had I believe 5 minutes to spend the entire amount. They have also done a few other areas of collecting, but what areas I forget at the moment.

Soooooooooooo.....at this point obviously he is looking to do one with the record collector crew. He has asked that i bring this to the table with you crew to see if anyone might be interested in taking part. It does not matter where you are located, as they will consider anyone initially if there area of speciality is intriguing. So i don't care if you do Reggae (Kev I'm looking at you), Soul, K-tel, Cheescake covers, Hip-Hop, Polka, straight edge punk.....you get it!!!

If you are interested, PM me and let me know.

Again, this is not my project, as i am just helping out a friend. I will pass on the info to my friend and you can all take it from there.

Hope some of you are interested.

Cheers,

Aaron

cool idea, but they should model it after "Pinks" on the Speed Channel, where each collectro puts up a top shelf item or items and whoever wins gets the other dude's shit.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Me Vs Shig on bad 80s music. He's goin down!!!!!

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts

Quick Quiz....

1) What label did the legendary psych LP July come out on in Mexico? RCA August

2) The South American band Los Impalas released an LP in the U.S. under what name and on what local Cinncinati label? Lowrider on the Hydrolic Label

3) What color vinyl was the second Toncho Pilatos LP on the Cronos label released on? Yellowish Brown

4) What Mexican band's name when translated to English means U.F.O.??? The Flying Saucers

5) What Mexican band's EP's were banned by the government because of their subversive political songs and messages? Pink Federalies

There are five off the top of my head....you get these w/o the help of Google and I'll be massively impressed.

So you must be impressed now

Quiz for you: What Mexican Band did Barry Manilow sing for???

Quick Quiz....

1) What label did the legendary psych LP July come out on in Mexico? RCA August

2) The South American band Los Impalas released an LP in the U.S. under what name and on what local Cinncinati label? Lowrider on the Hydrolic Label

3) What color vinyl was the second Toncho Pilatos LP on the Cronos label released on? Yellowish Brown

4) What Mexican band's name when translated to English means U.F.O.??? The Flying Saucers

5) What Mexican band's EP's were banned by the government because of their subversive political songs and messages? Pink Federalies

So you must be impressed now

Quiz for you: What Mexican Band did Barry Manilow sing for???

Quite impressive....none right

Manilow was lead singer of Los Pop Tarts!!

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts

Quick Quiz....

1) What label did the legendary psych LP July come out on in Mexico?

2) The South American band Los Impalas released an LP in the U.S. under what name and on what local Cinncinati label?

3) What color vinyl was the second Toncho Pilatos LP on the Cronos label released on?

5) What Mexican band's EP's were banned by the government because of their subversive political songs and messages?

1. It wasn't Epic? I'm guessing on this one.

2. Impala Syndrome (Parallax)

3. multi colored? for some reason I wanna say yellow too.

4 Patruhla de Espacio

5.Antorcha

no google

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I'll take on TheNon in a bollywood deathmatch. Winner gets to spit paan juice on the loser.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

los ovnis

I would only inevitably get I did however procure a massive unknown Columbian psych funk LP the other day!!

los ovnis

That actually seems more accurate.I'm honestly taking some not so educated guesses.

los ovnis

That actually seems more accurate.I'm honestly taking some not so educated guesses.

I think our Avatars should take it head to head.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I think your Avatars should take it old head to old head.

Quick Quiz....

1) What label did the legendary psych LP July come out on in Mexico? Fresa Label[/b]

2) The South American band Los Impalas released an LP in the U.S. under what name and on what local Cinncinati label? Impala Syndrome / Parallax[/b]

3) What color vinyl was the second Toncho Pilatos LP on the Cronos label released on? Purple/Lavender[/b]

4) What Mexican band's name when translated to English means U.F.O.??? Los Ovnis[/b]

5) What Mexican band's EP's were banned by the government because of their subversive political songs and messages? Antorcha[/b]

You guys know some serious shit.

los ovnis

I think our Avatars should take it head to head.

BTW....I'd bet on the Danno Evil Charles Durning-like Avatar over the Prog Homeless Jed Clampett-like Avatar in a "Battle Of The Geezers"

haha...I always thought meatyogre's avatar was Durning-like too. Don't underestimate the crazy Bobby Fischer head though.

"Chess is life"

"Some day I'm gonna have a house built in the shape of a giant rook,yeah a giant rook."
    Bobby Fischer (actual quotes from this nutter)

haha... Don't underestimate the crazy Bobby Fischer head though.

It's the Kazinski Factor!!!

Coffinjoe and my Avatar challenge any other two Avatars to a Tag Team Steel Cage No Holds Barred Death Match!!!!

My avatar will castle and pull Kris Kringle raers while ya'all sleep.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Me Vs Shig on bad 80s music. He's goin down!!!!!

jokes on you. i dont own any bad[/b] 80s music!!!