Collector Showdown......

tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Alright...so here's the thing... A friend of mine is a television head, and now has his own HDTV channel launching here in T.O. Actually it has already launched and is doing fairly well so far. He is a large scale record collector himself (mostly of the King label) and has started a program that he has asked me to let you all know about. Essentially, this show "Collector Showdown" is as follows. Two heads with specific knowledge in a field go head to head in a competition to prove that they know far more than their opposition. So far they have filmed a comic book showdown, where a Marvel and DC guy went head to head, and each were asked 10 high level questions pertaining to their field. The competitor who gave the most correct answers won, and was then treated to a $1000 dollar spending spree at a comic convention. They then had I believe 5 minutes to spend the entire amount. They have also done a few other areas of collecting, but what areas I forget at the moment. Soooooooooooo.....at this point obviously he is looking to do one with the record collector crew. He has asked that i bring this to the table with you crew to see if anyone might be interested in taking part. It does not matter where you are located, as they will consider anyone initially if there area of speciality is intriguing. So i don't care if you do Reggae (Kev I'm looking at you), Soul, K-tel, Cheescake covers, Hip-Hop, Polka, straight edge punk.....you get it!!! If you are interested, PM me and let me know. Again, this is not my project, as i am just helping out a friend. I will pass on the info to my friend and you can all take it from there. Hope some of you are interested. Cheers,Aaron

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I know tons about random avant northern folk funk psych raptronica.

So ya'll needs to step the fuck off.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    I'll just hand you the $1000 then......

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Soooooooooooo.....at this point obviously he is looking to do one with the record collector crew. He has asked that i bring this to the table with you crew to see if anyone might be interested in taking part. It does not matter where you are located, as they will consider anyone initially if there area of speciality is intriguing. So i don't care if you do Reggae (Kev I'm looking at you), Soul, K-tel, Cheescake covers, Hip-Hop, Polka, straight edge punk.....you get it!!!

This is an indescribably good look!

The rest of the thread should be devoted to coming up with fantasy matchups...

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    The competitor who gave the most correct answers won, and was then treated to a $1000 dollar spending spree at a comic convention. They then had I believe 5 minutes to spend the entire amount.

This is a typo, right?! I have enough trouble spending $200 at a record show...let alone $1000 in only five minutes. That's physically impossible!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

Dante vs Trouble

Dante vs Trouble

young_phonics vs. aaronbobo

I'll just hand you the $1000 then......

no. seriously put me down for dollarbin mustache gold.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    The competitor who gave the most correct answers won, and was then treated to a $1000 dollar spending spree at a comic convention. They then had I believe 5 minutes to spend the entire amount.

This is a typo, right?! I have enough trouble spending $200 at a record show...let alone $1000 in only five minutes. That's physically impossible!

actually no typo.....but you'll have to check with the man himself to make certain. So bring on the PM's...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Deej vs Hawkeye

Dante vs Trouble

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

let's get fucking real!

faux_rillz vs jonny_paychecks

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Deej vs Hawkeye

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Reynaldo VS Mel Gibson!

"Question: When is it acceptable to not snipe an associate's auction bid?"
    "NEVER!"

actually no typo.....but you'll have to check with the man himself to make certain. So bring on the PM's...

OK. But how do we have to spend this money at the record show?

For example, can I spend the $1000 paying some thugs to come in and rough up a few record dorks?

Deej vs Hawkeye ed powers

Dante vs Trouble

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

let's get fucking real!

faux_rillz vs jonny_paychecks

I foresee both contestants having trouble maintaining focus... it would too quickly spill over into a contest of all things "lifestyle"-related.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    hcrink vs. BEATDAWG

SoulOnIce vs. Rockadelic

• SoulOnIce vs. Rockadelic

I hope you mean this on some "two VERY knowledgable cats" steez.

SoulOnIce vs. Rockadelic

I hope you mean this on some "two VERY knowledgable cats" steez.

No Doubt.

SoulOnIce vs. Rockadelic

Don't mess with Boston!

Honestly...no way...I realize Rock would SON me on the psych knowledge...

• Options
    I'm in.

K.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    Where can we see this channel in the states?

If not available, has anyone torrent'd it?

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    put me down for the 80's metal!!!!

and it's about knowledge not possesion??? You'd think a collectors showdown would be who had the iller shit....

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    put me down for the 80's metal!!!!

and it's about knowledge not possesion??? You'd think a collectors showdown would be who had the iller shit....

Suuurious. Actually it should have events to crown the ultimate collectro. Knowledge dropping & Ill-shit-having.....you know, some way to level the playing field for rich ballers and smart poor dudes.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    an example of a "high level" record collectero question would be?

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

Phill Vs. Supreme

Big Chan Vs. Aser

K in Canada Vs. Jonny

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I don't think the Ill-shit having should count. I've sold off tons of great records, doesn't mean I don't know or remember anything about em.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Pickwick33 vs. Motown67

A-ko vs. TheMack

Pickwick33 vs. Motown67

YES!!!!

But only if that Star Trek "duel to the death" music plays...

I don't think the Ill-shit having should count. I've sold off tons of great records, doesn't mean I don't know or remember anything about em.

Knowlegde of records vs. owner of records.