I'M FEELIN' RHYMEFEST!

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I know the thugs on this board are mostly into cocaine/clap/trap rap. But, tell me this new Rhymefest video isn't dope!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGM5qH8x37MThis is like something i'd watch on Video Music Box circa '91 betweeen the "Ya mom's in my buisness" video and mad shout-outs! I really wanted to hate, but this guy's dope. I like what Byron Crawford said about him in his review: This is what those two Kanye West albums would be like if Kanye could rap and wasn't a closeted homosexual. Alas, this album probably won't go gold, while both of them are multiplatinum. There's a lesson in that somewhere.

Comments

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    I love what it says in the comments section, "The greatest rectangle-headed rapper of All time!"

I like some Rhymefest stuff but this one doesn't really do anything for me, he needs to do a video for "My Beat"

Hot like hot sauce....come on, try a little harder mayne

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    that doesn't bother me - his favorite rapper after all is Biz Markie - and i'm not mad at that!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Ive always loved Rhymefest and this video is dope! Is this gonna make the old Molemen 12"s even more raer? Its kinda crazy how the tables turned for some of Chicagos 90s rap veterans. I think this is the perfect time for an MC like Rhymefest to step into the public eye.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I'll give that a hell yes! Rhymefest is the man, "Brand New" is my cut!
    If I'm stuck in the 90's so be it, most rap these days is what my daughter calls "a biggy piley dooky".

• agreed.

as for the video doings, this boy www.koneerok.com done it good.(chicago style)

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    Hot beat, hot ladies, good hook, good rappin & train images to boot. Can't go wrong with that. Lovely!

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Hot beat, hot ladies, good hook, good rappin & train images to boot. Can't go wrong with that. Lovely!

Lovin' "Brand New" as well, has anyone picked up "The Plug City" mixtape he's done ?

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    I vote for 'Brand New' too. 'Fever' is horrible though. Made for MTV popshite.

Is that the La Lupe version he's used?

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Word to that DJ's shirt - J Dilla R.I.P.

Dig the song and dig the video. Rhymefest's got swagger.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Ive always loved Rhymefest and this video is dope! Is this gonna make the old Molemen 12"s even more raer?

Let's hope so...

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    Lovin' "Brand New" as well, has anyone picked up "The Plug City" mixtape he's done ?

"steppers & skaters" on that mixtape is pretty dope.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    NOT 'FEELIN' FEVER BUT I'M SORTA ROOTING FOR THIS DUDE BEING FROM CHICAGO. I REMEMBER HIM AT SCRIBBLE JAM IN 97- AND I STILL PULL OUT THIS IS HOW WE CHILL PT. 1 AND MUCH OF NOTHIN...MEATY KNOWS THE TIME.

MAY HAVE TO CHECK OUT THAT MIXTAPE.

ONE THING I'M THINKING IS THAT KANYE OWED HIM FOR WRITING JESUS WALKS SO HE GAVE HIM BRAND NEW AND AFTER THAT IT'S KINDA DOWNHILL BUT I HOPE I'M WRONG.

• i'll take Brand New over this one

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Is this the dude that does the "MySpace Jumpoff" joint that they're playing on Hot 97?

That is truly the worst rap record I have ever heard.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    Is this the dude that does the "MySpace Jumpoff" joint that they're playing on Hot 97?

nope, that's grafh.

fauxy blanc, are you saying that you dont know who rhymefest is? that you've gone almost two years without clowning dude in some capacity?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

nope, that's grafh.

fauxy blanc, are you saying that you dont know who rhymefest is? that you've gone almost two years without clowning dude in some capacity?

He's the guy that supposedly--or actually--wrote "Jesus Walks," right?

And noted rap expert Tom Breihan cosigns him.

I don't think I've ever heard him, though.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Have you cats talked about the last track on Blue Collar? The one with ODB singing "Build Me Up Buttercup?" It's blowing my mind right now. On repeat times 5.

Not "You Got What I Need," but in light of ODB's death, a thing to behold. This would be one of the better Chicago singles this year.

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    video's gone man

finally picked it up...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I like him but could do without Mark Ronson beats.

I think that song w/ Ghostface and Nate Dogg will be the height of MR's rap producing career. That song is raw though.

I dunno - i think Ronson did the strokes sample joint- which is a little hoky, but i cant help but love it... Honestly, this record isn't that great, very flawed. But he's got undeniable skills - he may suffer from Common-esque heavy handedness - but I'm gettin behind this record.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I get pretty tired of him after about 2 songs. Although that Fever beat (No ID!!) is dope as is Dynomite. I thought Brand New was basically a Kanye throw-away track.

Wasn't he supposed to have Jon Brion doing a couple of his tracks? I guess they didn't make the album.