Gerhard Richter is that dude.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

ed ruscha rocks my world

Just got the Ruscha book for love.

Folks I've been enjoying this summer:

Amy Morken

Lisa Sanditz

Marlene Anjega

A short film, Pedras 5 ("Throw Your Skinny Body Down")

Brica Wilcox

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Ya'll have hit many of my favorite dead guys, and lot's of outstanding art stars from the last 50 years or so. Here are a couple of my favorite newerish folks.

Barry McGee AKA TWIST

Shawn Wolfe

Reas aka Todd James

Thomas Campbell

Margaret Kilgallen (RIP)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Great thread. I drove up to Seattle today to see the Maya Lin show.

Here is a link to the show I saw today: The Henry

She is working on 7 installations along the Columbia River. One is competed. When they are all done we are planning to take a few days to see them all at once.

While we are talking about enviormental artists let me say Andy Goldsworthy:

Great thread. I drove up to Seattle today to see the Maya Lin show.  

I still haven't checked this one and I live across town. Did you swoop through town and pick up all the heavy pieces that grow on the trees in Seattle, Dan?

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Margaret Kilgallen (RIP)

I saw a show of her's last summer at the Disney Music Hall in LA, and it was incredbile. Cosign, and a major loss.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    George Morrison, MN native....I was fortunate enough to meet him through a professor back in the early 90s, he has sinced passed. One of the few Native American artists to be acknowleged as part of the Abstract Expressionism movement, his work is highly influence by the land and landscapes. His early work is much more colorful, but later he was working almost exclusively in wood. They are really like sculptural paintings. But as late as '97 he was doing small paintings like the third one above. Beautiful stuff.

Frank Big Bear Jr.

Another MN artist, I first saw his work back in collecge in the late 80s. At the time he worked only in color pencils and drove a cab full time with like 5 kids at home! And still made himself do these incredibly intricate and beautifully colorful,vibrant works. He was completely inspirational. I think he has finally achieved a sliver of the recognition that I believe he deserves. This dude should be rich.

Chris Larson,another MN artist and an old buddy from art school who made good. He recently accepted a position teaching sculture at the U of MN. Talented, driven and one of the nicest dudes ever, Lars has the most wry and warped sense of humor of most anyone I know. And when you get into his sculpures and installations, it comes through in spades.

• Margaret Kilgallen (RIP)

Thank you for introducing her to my world.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Gerhard Richter is that dude.
    yes, this guy is great. Although he did a lot of different stuff I love these "realistic" paintings, which look like a photograph.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I still haven't checked this one and I live across town. Did you swoop through town and pick up all the heavy pieces that grow on the trees in Seattle, Dan?
    drove to the U district, walked the dog, ate a Shultzy hot dog, went to the show, walked the dog around the Urban Horticulture Center behind Husky stadium, sat in traffic for 2 hours until we got below Olympia, then drove home.

drove to the U district, walked the dog, ate a Shultzy hot dog, went to the show, walked the dog around the Urban Horticulture Center behind Husky stadium, sat in traffic for 2 hours until we got below Olympia, then drove home.
    That's OK, you probably didn't miss anything, Seattle has been pretty dry lately, for me at least.
    CP

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    I need more art and more space to show it!

Naturalist... Charles Harper:

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    Jill Greenberg

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I live in Cedar Rapids, IA where Grant Wood's studio is located and have been through it a few times---pretty cool.

McGee, Killagallen, Reas, Campbell, and all the rest of the Beautiful Losers are favorites.

Cosign on the Friedlander---so ill.

I like these too:

Josef Sudek:

Sudek was hella into records for those that don't know.

Some sites:
    http://www.graciavillamil.com/ (photo)
    http://www.mayahayuk.com (painting/photo)
    http://www.daneldon.org/ (collage/photo-journalism) RIP
    http://www.sserrato.info/ (design/type/print making)

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    that jill greenberg is disturbing

beksinski (rip)

max ernst

jean benoit (highly worth checking out)

mimi parent (rip)

pierre delvincourt

winston smith

• Carl Beam