Beatles started HipHop?

sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Don't know if this has been posted before:

Comments

• what the hell kinda turntable is that? one of those million dollar "audiophile" units, sure could but a lotta records w/ bread like that.

ps- out of all the songs on that lp, why that 1 ?

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I hear that the first time ever. There is a connection between George Harrison and Michael Viner. Drummer Jim Gordon played for both of them. I think he could answer that question easily.

I asked him on his myspace account, we'll see what happens.

As far as I know this is the movie for which Bongo Rock was the OST. Have to get that.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I hear that the first time ever.

the guy who put the video up said it was mentioned MOJO Magazine and states this for a fact that both Ringo and George were not just "poppin by" at the sessions but also actually playing on the record...please let me know when you find out something more,

peace,

sticky dojah

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    The Beatles ? Everyone Knows it was The Shadows !

It wouldn't suprise me as the amount of session work they did is huge and maybe it was done as a favour?? the thought that george or ringo could've been wacking the bongos ( least that's what i've read ) on that track is amazing !

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    wow, was that dull...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    dude is such an audiophile and nerdy collectro, but when he flips the record over he spends about 10 seconds pushing it around on the spindle trying to find the hole.

• Nerd.

you white muthafuckas trying to rewrite hip hop's origin already? couldn't just be a bunch or brothas who started it, huh? im convinced that po' black folk invented everything in the world and whites just got the hairstyle[/b] for it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    you white muthafuckas trying to rewrite hip hop's origin already? couldn't just be a bunch or brothas who started it, huh? im convinced that po' black folk invented everything in the world and whites just got the credit for it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thats how you take the warp out of the record. He has a clamp that presses the vinyl to the platter. He also has an external motor for his turntable so the record is not sitting on top of the motor. I'm guessing that is a glass platter, you don't want any vinyl-on-vinyl distortion.

I wish I had that turntable. I'd sell it and buy a bunch of records that are better than TOBB.

• puppup 133 Posts
    the thought that george or ringo could've been wacking the bongos ( least that's what i've read ) on that track is amazing !

almost posiive that I have read in multiple sources that session percussionist Bobbye Hall was the woman responsible for the bongo playing ... but that she was not on the less funky and less successful second bongo band record, which nobody cares about anyway.

• puppup 133 Posts
    From Strut records press release on the reissue of Bongo Rock

"Alongside producer / arranger Perry Botkin, Jr., Viner formed the Bongo Band as a loose, informal conglomerate of musicians who came together to record percussive versions of established pop classics from 'Apache' to Iron Butterfly's 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' and the Stones' 'Satisfaction'. The core drummers were Jim Gordon (Traffic, Derek & The Dominoes), King Errisson, Bobbye Hall, Hal Blaine, Botkin and Viner although an all-star cast dropped in to contribute including Glen Campbell, Freda Payne and Ringo Starr."

as quoted at http://www.grooveattack.com/news/news_detail.php3?id=132&genre=Soul%2FJazz%2FFunk

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    you white muthafuckas trying to rewrite hip hop's origin already? couldn't just be a bunch or brothas who started it, huh? im convinced that po' black folk invented everything in the world and whites just got the credit for it.

Whoever white and black dudes played on this great "Bongo rock" LP... This isn't what I consider as the start of Hip Hop. It's full of legendary breaks but a lot of records from this period were full of these legendary breaks... According to my knowledge, the first rapper was PIGMEAT MARKHAM (and hey Seanthomas, he was a black man...), am I wrong ???

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Bongo Rock started hip-hop? I love the song but HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

That was great. Thanks for posting.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    What a bunch on bullshit. Im not even watching whatever clip that was. Beatles aint started shit.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts

Don't front dude. White people did invent hip hop. Though this guy on the youtube clip is spreading misinformation. It was 1983 in the first meeting of the traveling wilburries, before all those dudes even called themselves the traveling wilberries. George Harrison was working on "I got my mind set on you" and he brought in Jeff Lynn, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty to fuck with it a little, try to make it fresher. So Tom Petty starts spitting this blazing schitt about how he has to smoke muhfuckas who tried to jack him for his packet. Called it "I got my gat set on you." Harrison is like dude, what the fuck is that? And Tom Petty just starts beating on him, almost put him in the hospital. Jeff Lynn gets a hold of it and cuts it up a little, but the record company didn't want that, said it wouldn't sell. So the wilberries used their drug retail connects to move the product in the hood. Tom Petty got all his people to start selling the tape out of the trunk of their cars. No one had ever heard rap that was that real, that hard. One of those kids who got the Petty tape was Tupac Shakur, who listened to it every night for like three years in his basement. The song "Dear Mama" is really about Tom Petty, cause that was his pager code.

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts

i really don't care who "invented" hip-hop or rap i'm just glad somebody did because we'd probably all be listening to Fundamentalist Christian Rock by now...i would have to say Gil Scott Heron...or The Shadows.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts

Don't front dude. White people did invent hip hop. It was 1983...

PIGMEAT MARKHAM "Here comes the judge" = 1968. If you don't know this classic, it's never too late... Pigmeat is the first rapper. He was rapping and killing it in the late 60's, a long time before Hip Hop was born. I don't pretend he consciously invented rapping but I never heard any earlier rap...

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    What a bunch on bullshit. Im not even watching whatever clip that was. Beatles aint started shit.

exhibit A:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=A8248FF64EA625ED

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

im not listening to that either.

Don't front dude. White people did invent hip hop. Though this guy on the youtube clip is spreading misinformation. It was 1983 in the first meeting of the traveling wilburries, before all those dudes even called themselves the traveling wilberries. George Harrison was working on "I got my mind set on you" and he brought in Jeff Lynn, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty to fuck with it a little, try to make it fresher. So Tom Petty starts spitting this blazing schitt about how he has to smoke muhfuckas who tried to jack him for his packet. Called it "I got my gat set on you." Harrison is like dude, what the fuck is that? And Tom Petty just starts beating on him, almost put him in the hospital. Jeff Lynn gets a hold of it and cuts it up a little, but the record company didn't want that, said it wouldn't sell. So the wilberries used their drug retail connects to move the product in the hood. Tom Petty got all his people to start selling the tape out of the trunk of their cars. No one had ever heard rap that was that real, that hard. One of those kids who got the Petty tape was Tupac Shakur, who listened to it every night for like three years in his basement. The song "Dear Mama" is really about Tom Petty, cause that was his pager code.

That is funny...

Bongo Rock started hip-hop? I love the song but HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

yeah, this guy is a bit over the top to say the least....

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    I like that Flirtations record.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I hear that the first time ever. There is a connection between George Harrison and Michael Viner. Drummer Jim Gordon played for both of them. I think he could answer that question easily.

I asked him on his myspace account, we'll see what happens.

As far as I know this is the movie for which Bongo Rock was the OST. Have to get that.

Peace
    Hawkeye

For some reason, the "Thing with two heads" OST is a dollarbin record in Sweden. It might be a dollarbin record everywhere, but why are there so many copies of that soundtrack, don't think the movie was a boxoffice smash...

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    You should start to pull out this loooong stick that you got inside of your butthole and calm down. I understand what some of you guys are saying, but you are discussing it with the wrong people.

We know the fucking history, you have to discuss that with the people who are responsible for your problem.

All that I can say is I know it, I understand it, and I'm here to strengthen your back, now go and fuck them idiotic medias and your fucking system that is responsible for your pain and dont fuck the people who are standing in your corner.

Dont act like that everybody who is not looking the same like you is some fucking backstaber.

Now back to what this board is here for, discussing music.

I asked the Jim Gordon myspace account about that. He replied with this today:

"Hey Hawkeye - my name is tom and sadly Jim Gordon is no where to be found. He did play on both albums (IBB) and Ringo played on some tracks on the first one. As far as George, I have no idea.
    I know this from an article in Rhythm magazine in the Uk. The article about Jim was in the August 2005 edition.
    Thanks for writing - Tom"

So the Ringo info from groove attack is confirmed. I wonder what Ringo was playing on that record, drums ??? He is not known for being very funky. And what was Viners connection with him ?? And why was it covered for almost 30 years that he played on those sessions ??

Does anyone got a contact to Viner or Starr ?? Ever interviewed them or know people who interviewed them ???

Peace
    Hawkeye

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    just remember whose yo daddy. the god.

Okay after reading this I'm convinced that Sean Thomas is white. And if you are NOT, then I will gladly call you out as being false god. Sean, you ain't a god, crumb. You would have found a way and attributed supreme math to ONE of these topics you've been spouting shit about. And YES if you want me to pull your card on this one as well I will, go right ahead, I'm grown folk here and I've studied my lessons.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    And there is no actual "father" per sey, however some attribute "rapping" to Maurice "Hot Rod" Hulbert, a Baltimore radio DJ from the early 50s. And don't forget Jocko either.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    I seriously doubt that is Ringo on the track from the video.Listen to how the hi-hat is being played.I've never heard Ringo accent the downbeat on the hi-hat like that.Just my opinion.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    And there is no actual "father" per sey, however some attribute "rapping" to Maurice "Hot Rod" Hulbert, a Baltimore radio DJ from the early 50s. And don't forget Jocko either.

Yup, not sure that you can pin it on any individual but if you could then Doug "Jocko" Henderson would have been one of the contenders. Dude was was 67 when he recorded Rhythm Talk and incorporated some vocal skits he'd been using for decades.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Yup, not sure that you can pin it on any individual but if you could then Doug "Jocko" Henderson would have been one of the contenders. Dude was was 67 when he recorded Rhythm Talk and incorporated some vocal skits he'd been using for decades.

Jocko got his shit from Hot Rod.