Weak Day Finds (Anyone Know These??)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Found a stack of mediocre stuff today but these two are mysteries to me.....Bizarre tax loss scam label-looking Ann Peebles LPThis is from South Texas and I'd guess mid 80's but I can find virtually no info on the 12" or the artist(Other than he now performs as Harold Gill & The C.C. Riders)

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    my trip to Chicago and some other locales got cut short when I wrecked my car at 52nd and Loomis. For the record it was my fault, kid that hit me was a 17 y.o. with his mom and grandma in the car. Luckily everyone was OK. Amazingly my car was completely driveable and I got it home today. I'm getting an estimate tomorrow, but I'm guessing it will be totaled, since usually a bent frame =

RIP car.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Rock,

No idea about that specific Peebles LP, but I can tell you that its a re-issue of her If This Is Heaven LP on Hi from 1977.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    my trip to Chicago and some other locales got cut short when I wrecked my car at 52nd and Loomis. For the record it was my fault, kid that hit me was a 17 y.o. with his mom and grandma in the car. Luckily everyone was OK. Amazingly my car was completely driveable and I got it home today. I'm getting an estimate tomorrow, but I'm guessing it will be totaled, since usually a bent frame =

RIP car.

Glad you're OK.....looks like you could have been hurt pretty bad....nasty shit.

Rock,

No idea about that specific Peebles LP, but I can tell you that its a re-issue of her If This Is Heaven LP on Hi from 1977.

Yeah....good LP too......I found a few of these at the local thrift....all small independent labels pressed and covers by "Album World" of Nashville....found a Cissy Houston, Joe South and a few country titles.....possibly a high end vanity press company.....obviously something shady about it.

It's from 1980

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    If this is about our 'weak' day finds, i got a mailbox 45 that i was all excited about for my wedding that has a skip at the end.

ooface.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    THEE local record I've only heard of and have wanted for over ten years popped up in a shop yesterday for less than $4:

Was it worth the wait? Hmmm...I dunno. Definitely has a decent groove but some songs are straight-up ruined by a lame "Ides of March" horns section. While a couple tracks are helped by some soulful drumming, the horns are pure lounge cheese. Why??? Unfortunately, this was a Nebraska "thing" (horn rock). There are at least four tracks that stand out and save the record. The last cut has a nice heavy guitar dirge/freakout. Probably one of the three rarest rock albums from Nebraska and glad to have it! Great packaging.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Well in addition to someone totalling my car two weeks ago (i got rear-ended into the car in front of me at a complete stop. The front ended up worse than the box, airbags deployed, luckily nothing but bumps and bruises on me) i found some decent stuff in Philly just before the holiday.

Charles Lloyd in the Soviet Union
    Crossings - Herbie Hancock
    Live in Europe - Billy Cobham
    the 2nd Ten Wheel Drive w/ Genya
    2 Van Morrison cheapies
    Mad Dogs and Englishmen - Joe Cocker (i like his band on this one)

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Was it worth the wait? Hmmm...I dunno. Definitely has a decent groove but some songs are straight-up ruined by a lame "Ides of March" horns section. While a couple tracks are helped by some soulful drumming, the horns are pure lounge cheese. Why??? Unfortunately, this was a Nebraska "thing" (horn rock). There are at least four tracks that stand out and save the record. The last cut has a nice heavy guitar dirge/freakout. Probably one of the three rarest rock albums from Nebraska and glad to have it! Great packaging.

Cool stuff, nice packaging for sure! Mike, what store do you work at again? You weren't the guy I chatted with about tom waits, were you. I was in lincoln a week ago and only had time to drop by one place.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

RIP car.

damn, crazy, i wrecked my car in exactly the same spot, exactly. same damage. mine might have been a little worse, the area under the door was smashed on mine and my window shattered because it was rolled down halfway. it was my fault too. your frame might not be bent, the sub frame is probably fine, it will probably take a new door and about $1500 in body work to fix, not sure what your car is worth. Nobody was hurt in my accident either. I had a few cuts on my face near my eye due to the explosion of the window and shattered glass shooting at my face. Glad you're OK, that was my first wreck and the shit was kinda scary.

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    Hit up a new thrift store... No records, but tapes!

Anyone heard that Covert album before? It's sealed. If the consensus is that it's a turd, I may just keep it that way. That Bollywood tape is more funny than anything, although it has a few moments of dopeness. The insert has a funny bit: "Beware of pirate cassettes, they damage your instrument."

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

You find that in the dumpster?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    damn, crazy, i wrecked my car in exactly the same spot, exactly. same damage. mine might have been a little worse, the area under the door was smashed on mine and my window shattered because it was rolled down halfway. it was my fault too. your frame might not be bent, the sub frame is probably fine, it will probably take a new door and about $1500 in body work to fix, not sure what your car is worth. Nobody was hurt in my accident either. I had a few cuts on my face near my eye due to the explosion of the window and shattered glass shooting at my face. Glad you're OK, that was my first wreck and the shit was kinda scary.

Yeah I'm amazed and really glad the window didn't break. I got an estimate today...$4000, which isn't as bad as I was thinking although he didn't include any of the electronics or mechanisms inside the door (locks, windows, speakers, etc) and he didn't include the dashboard or the seat which may or may not need replacing. Still not too terrible, I'm just glad I don't need to shop for a new car!

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts

Cool stuff, nice packaging for sure! Mike, what store do you work at again? You weren't the guy I chatted with about tom waits, were you. I was in lincoln a week ago and only had time to drop by one place.

Hey rock...no, my shop is in Omaha (it's called Zero Street)...you should check it out next time you're in the area. Vinyl only and thousands of cheapies to dig through.

On third, fourth and fifth listens I'm getting more into the LP and the horns aren't as offensive as on the first spin. I may make a few mp3s if anybody's interested...

On third, fourth and fifth listens I'm getting more into the LP and the horns aren't as offensive as on the first spin. I may make a few mp3s if anybody's interested...

There are a couple of good tunes on the Heaven LP...."growers" for sure although the bad stuff is pretty bad (imo)

Found this today and was surprised how good it is on a folk/jazz/blues/vocal tip...

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    I like that Cyndee peters LP a lot.Hi Rich!

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

"house of the rising sun" is

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

Carleen and the Young Groovers?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

dope! the old gut wasnt singing with them? they actually rock well for the lord. saw them a couple months ago, but i forget where. jersey, me thinks

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

dope! the old gut wasnt singing with them? they actually rock well for the lord. saw them a couple months ago at a flea market...they were performing in full sun for a couple hours