North Korea

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

This is pretty , but who knows how much is real and how much is propoganda.

dude I never get tired of watching those "mass game" gymnastics/card display things. those things are that clip showed one with animation and everything.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Which is why it boggles the mind that the US is moving all of it's troops out of Seoul and down to Cp. Humphreys, which is 40 kilometers south of Seoul. Not to mention that the 2ID, which has been a major player since the war has disbanded. Most of the US Army posts north of Seoul are being shut down and everything is heading south.

Doesn't make sense. I mean, I understand that Seoulites want their prime real estate back, but damn.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    Here are some random thoughts on north korea. I went with Albright's delegation, so I got a chance to see how lavishly the rulers live. I saw make work projects where emaciated people were shouted at from VW minibusses to work harder in korean. I attended the gymnastics presentation on like no sleep. The hotel where we stayed had virtually no food, but booklet menus. So when we would eat, we would ask for stuff on the menu like the korean bar be que, and the waiters appeared to be under orders not to admit they only had kimchi and noodles. The music was awful. There were hardly any other foreigners. None of the shops had any goods in the capital. I visited a school for gifted children that played something that looked like a dulcimer and sang us a song about their fervent wish to become generals in the army and defeat imperialist invaders. Almost everyone wore a pin denoting their service to the state on their lapel or blouse. The visage of the great leader and dear leader were virtually everywhere. When I tried to walk around the block of my hotel and just check stuff out on my own, five armed guards came out of nowhere and ushered me back to the hotel. A European diplomat told me about someone who he had been dealing with on a routine trade issue who apparently displeased the authorities. the next day his house and family were gone. Albright gave Kim a Michael Jordan autographed basketball, he apparently gave her he is email address. This would be the only email address in north korea. At one point we were given an official tour of monuments of pyongyang, which were all statues of kim il sung. As a joke another female reporter had someone take a photo of her pointing out his dick. Our guides immediately cancelled the tour and confiscated the camera.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Here are some random thoughts on north korea. I went with Albright's delegation, so I got a chance to see how lavishly the rulers live. I saw make work projects where emaciated people were shouted at from VW minibusses to work harder in korean. I attended the gymnastics presentation on like no sleep. The hotel where we stayed had virtually no food, but booklet menus. So when we would eat, we would ask for stuff on the menu like the korean bar be que, and the waiters appeared to be under orders not to admit they only had kimchi and noodles. The music was awful. There were hardly any other foreigners. None of the shops had any goods in the capital. I visited a school for gifted children that played something that looked like a dulcimer and sang us a song about their fervent wish to become generals in the army and defeat imperialist invaders. Almost everyone wore a pin denoting their service to the state on their lapel or blouse. The visage of the great leader and dear leader were virtually everywhere. When I tried to walk around the block of my hotel and just check stuff out on my own, five armed guards came out of nowhere and ushered me back to the hotel. A European diplomat told me about someone who he had been dealing with on a routine trade issue who apparently displeased the authorities. the next day his house and family were gone. Albright gave Kim a Michael Jordan autographed basketball, he apparently gave her he is email address. This would be the only email address in north korea. At one point we were given an official tour of monuments of pyongyang, which were all statues of kim il sung. As a joke another female reporter had someone take a photo of her pointing out his dick. Our guides immediately cancelled the tour and confiscated the camera.

I guess there are more than a few countries trading with NK Japan has some trade???? China, Syria, Lybia, Russia and someothers it sounds like. I thought they were totally isolated but no.

I've heard there is only one radio station and radios don't have tuning knobs so you can't get foriegn (SK) stations. I don't know if there are any tvs.

• the heir apparent, first or second son of kim jong il was just following eric clapton around europe. here's the kicker, the kid has some condition where his body produces excessive female hormones. i think i know why dad is a little unstable.

• ZuffNomedZuffNomed 42 Posts
    I was just eating at my local (Korean) Tofu Soup spot & the owners were up in arms about this shit, like seriously pissed off, yelling back & forth to each other.
    This from a normally sweet & soft spoken lady, boy was she pissed.

She was saying they want nothing more than for the US to Nuke the shit outta the North to get rid of that dude.
    My co-worker stressed this same sentiment.

Funny thing is, my fuckin soup was hotter/spicier than ever too, I swear that shit had straight acid in it & I know it is bout to burn something awful when I do my business in a bit.
    LOL

the heir apparent, first or second son of kim jong il was just following eric clapton around europe. here's the kicker, the kid has some condition where his body produces excessive female hormones. i think i know why dad is a little unstable.

I could read about this all day....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's hard to find too many despots crazier than this MFer:

but Kim Jong Il =

yeah Turkmenistan. the Stans all seem a little suspect these days. Uzbekistan is quickly becoming a full on police state. Kazakstan, well, what can I say that dude hasn't already:

But for real, Kim Jong Il is a murderous cretin and all, but didn't he invent the cheeseburger? I mean that's gotta count for something.

but Kim Jong Il =

You wouldn't talk shit about Steven Seagal if he was sitting in your room!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

You wouldn't talk shit about Steven Seagal if he was sitting in your room!

• It's hard to find too many despots crazier than this MFer:

but Kim Jong Il =

You wouldn't talk shit about Wayne Newton[/b] if he was sitting in your room!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    From what I understand, the food situation in NK isn't as bad as it has been in the past. It's still bad but it's not famine-like levels as it was back a few years ago.

The thing is...it's really hard to see what would push SK to invade, with or without China's blessing. Seoul is EASILY strikable at artillery range, with some real schitt WMDs this time and not the phantom Iraqi kind. That's putting a city of 12 million in danger of being annihilated. I'd certianly take pause.

I'd be curious to hear Dizzy's sense of the strategic feasibility of taking out NK militarily.

V have you been to NK? Tells us more about what you saw.

The way I understand it is there are sanctions on NK. Seems to me NK is the most isolated country in the world. Which works to put pressure on NK. But it also allows Kim Jung Il to delude his people into thinking their lives are somehow normal. So doing the kind of anti-investment campagin that helped to bring down aparthied will not work.

When North Korea steps over the line and a coaliton that is lead by South Korea and has China's blessings invades I would think that North Korea would fall quickly, South Korea would absorb the north the same way Germany absorbed the East and there will be much rejoicing. Of course there are two problems NK has, probably, maybe, most likely, nukes. And currently the US is pinned downed in Iraq and Afganistan.

I have no doubt that those who rule are the first to eat. But there is a real humanitarian crisis there. And there are people who are getting food to the people. Mercy Corp travels with the aid they send and makes sure that it gets to the people.

web page

They also took a friendship delegation there. My friend went on that trip. I haven't talked to him yet, but he said "North Korea is a trip" and recommended two books.

My Friend

From what I understand South Korea is actually getting kinda pissed about the US saber rattling about N. Korea. The South has spent a lot of time and money to repair relations with the North. I think they finally have a very small program where families can at least visit each other between the two countries. The South actually believes that they can have a normal relationship with the North and they do not think that Kim is crazy.

As far as a war goes, the North would be defeated but at what cost? North Korean artillery can hit Seoul, their missiles can hit Japan.

And by the way, has anyone noticed that North Korea's major partners in developing long range missiles and developing nuclear technology are Iran and PAKISTAN[/b] - our supposed ally in the war on terror??? But I forgot, they said they're against Al Qaeda so they get a free pass on everything else they do.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

but Kim Jong Il =

You wouldn't talk shit about Mat Staxoshitz (NC 7" 45 dealer)[/b] if he was sitting in your room!

too obscure ?

but Kim Jong Il =

You wouldn't talk shit about Mat Staxoshitz (NC 7" 45 dealer)[/b] if he was sitting in your room!

too obscure ?

Yes. But for some reason still funny!

still too obscure ?
    but funny to some ?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I wanna know if Staxoshitz is his real name.

I wanna know if Staxoshitz is his real name.

spelled diff
    but pronounced about the same

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

but Kim Jong Il =

too obscure ?

I was right with you T*m.......good one.

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    If you are interested in learning more about what's going on in North Korea I highly, highly, recommend checking out "Seoul Train." It's a fascinating look at the poverty and politics of North Korea. It also covers the Korean "underground railroad" comprised of ordinary folks, willing to help their countrymen escape and change their identities.

Political documentaries can be dreary, but this is really

It originally aired on PBS Indepdent Lens.
    torrent seoul train site

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    i'm sure the north hates/fears japan even more
    which should make japan very worried

Japan ain't worried for shit.
    I'm still convinced that, despite what everybody says about Japan not having any sort of a real military to speak of, that somewhere under Mt. Fuji, they got all sorts of Gundam/Macross-style Mecha at the ready.
    I'm also very seriously convinced that Godzilla is real and that he's a nationalist.

also, does anyone know whatever became of that Japanese film director and that actress that Kim Jong Il kidnapped and forced to make films??

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I wish this still seemed like some conspiracy theory.

World War 3 Timeline

* Prelude - The events leading up to the start of World War Three, including Sept 11, 2001.

* Act 1 - The Middle East. Widespread conflict to bring the entire region into the flames of war, possibly triggered by Iran or militants in Pakistan using North Korean supplied nuclear arms. The first Scene in this Act is the US Invasion of Iraq on March 20, 2003.

* Act 2 - Israel at War -- Against her Arab neighbors, possibly Palestine. A Palestinian State will be established, so that all Israelis will be fully separated from Palestinians, only for Israel to viciously attack Palestine shortly thereafter.

* Act 3 - Far East -- "Hair-raising nuclear confrontation that threatens mankind's existence" - Peter Lemesurier, author of The Armageddon Script, p. 223, written in 1981. Includes China invading Taiwan and a nuclear eruption on the Korean Peninsula.

* Act 4 - Erosion of Confidence in 'The System' so severe citizens will be panicked into giving up liberties and Constitutional form of government. The plan calls for the dissolution of the US Constitution, triggered by a significant enough 'terrorist' attack. The ultimate intent is to introduce a global government and one-world religion.

*Act 5 - The collapse of the US, and other Western economies and morals.

* Act 6 - Significant population reduction using natural and man-made disasters.

* Curtain. Who can tell how this war will end?

• If you are interested in learning more about what's going on in North Korea I highly, highly, recommend checking out "Seoul Train." It's a fascinating look at the poverty and politics of North Korea. It also covers the Korean "underground railroad" comprised of ordinary folks, willing to help their countrymen escape and change their identities.

Political documentaries can be dreary, but this is really

It originally aired on PBS Indepdent Lens.
    torrent seoul train site

i watched "State of Mind" last nite...doc about some young girls prepping for the mass games...a bit slow at points but an interesting insight into the n korean society...state radio broadcasts into every home...cant turn off..only down...the people come off as loyal, content and absoulutely genuine human beings...and yes they despise teh imperialists with their beloved designer jeans and coca-cola soft drinks....

World War 3 Timeline

* Act 2 - Israel at War -- Against her Arab neighbors, possibly Palestine. A Palestinian State will be established, so that all Israelis will be fully separated from Palestinians, only for Israel to viciously attack [/b] Palestine shortly thereafter.

right. because the history of the middle east is replete with examples of Israel attacking her neighbors, and not the other way around.

plus the adjective "viciously" is .

lest there be any mistake as to who is causing WWIII...

• dayday 9,611 Posts

World War 3 Timeline

* Act 2 - Israel at War -- Against her Arab neighbors, possibly Palestine. A Palestinian State will be established, so that all Israelis will be fully separated from Palestinians, only for Israel to viciously attack [/b] Palestine shortly thereafter.

right. because the history of the middle east is replete with examples of Israel attacking her neighbors, and not the other way around.

plus the adjective "viciously" is .

lest there be any mistake as to who is causing WWIII...

I didn't write it, or even neccessarily agree with it, I just copy and pasted it because I thought it was thought provoking. I will say though, that some of you dudes get a likkle sensitive when it comes to that topic. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I didn't even think about that part personally. At this point with things being as convoluted as they are, aren't both sides essentially wrong in that whole conflict?

no.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    no.

Okay... So you mean to tell me it's a clear, black and white, right & wrong situation over there?

I have a general understanding, but honestly I don't know the complete history in depth so I'll stop right here. If anyone can recommend any (NON BIASED) books, please do.

if anyone can recommend any (NON BIASED) books, please do.

Now taking bets on how long it will take before someone here suggests "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion".