• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    ESG in 2006 ... actually sounding

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I have a 45 that fits this description.

Black Randy and Metrosquad -- ????????/Give It Up Or Turn It Loose

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I have a 45 that fits this description.

Black Randy and Metrosquad -- ????????/Give It Up Or Turn It Loose

I think he meant funk guys trying to go punk, not the other way around.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    ACR ARE THE TRUTH!!!

Funky not Funk.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    It should be noted that New Wave's influence on Soul was very fleeting and in many cases fake. This was probably one of the few times R&B tried to bite from white music and wound up late to the beach. When bands like Funkadelic and the Isley Brothers copped from Psychedelia and hard rock, it was very agitated and over the top and not as fluffy as, say, the Grateful Dead. Only the frenzy of white Detroit bands like the MC5 and the Stooges could compare. Even a glorified lounge act like the Temptations could freak out with conviction (although if it was mostly their producer's idea). New Wave was different, as were the context and times. White kids viewed punk as a weapon of social change. Black musicians saw a bandwagon to be jumped on; you'd dance to it at parties, but it wouldn't alter the social landscape or anything. Yes, Janet Jackson did her best Debbie Harry impersonation on "Come Give Your Love To Me," and Jermaine Jackson somehow enlisted Devo to help him out with "Let Me Tickle Your Fancy." And don't forget, one of the biggest songs from brother Michael Jackson's Thriller album was a New Wave/crossover cash-in, "Beat It." But did that mean the whole Jackson clan had their ear to the ground as far as new trends? More likely, they saw the trend and didn't wish to be left behind. Psyche fans still revere those early Funkadelic albums on Westbound, and Sly Stone is in the same category. But if there's a cult of New Wave fans too young to remember the eighties, they'd probably bust a gut laughing at Shalamar's "Dead Giveaway."

Beat It is New Wave/Crossover?

I never saw it that way. Rock/R&B fusion yes, but New Wave? Eddie Van Halen is New Wave?

Rockists explain pleez.....

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Funky not Funk.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Funky not Funk.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    The one Vivien Goldman track that is out there is

It should be noted that New Wave's influence on Soul was very fleeting and in many cases fake.[/b] This was probably one of the few times R&B tried to bite from white music and wound up late to the beach. When bands like Funkadelic and the Isley Brothers copped from Psychedelia and hard rock, it was very agitated and over the top and not as fluffy as, say, the Grateful Dead. Only the frenzy of white Detroit bands like the MC5 and the Stooges could compare. Even a glorified lounge act like the Temptations could freak out with conviction (although if it was mostly their producer's idea). New Wave was different, as were the context and times. White kids viewed punk as a weapon of social change. Black musicians saw a bandwagon to be jumped on; you'd dance to it at parties, but it wouldn't alter the social landscape or anything. Yes, Janet Jackson did her best Debbie Harry impersonation on "Come Give Your Love To Me," and Jermaine Jackson somehow enlisted Devo to help him out with "Let Me Tickle Your Fancy." And don't forget, one of the biggest songs from brother Michael Jackson's Thriller album was a New Wave/crossover cash-in, "Beat It." But did that mean the whole Jackson clan had their ear to the ground as far as new trends? More likely, they saw the trend and didn't wish to be left behind.[/b] Psyche fans still revere those early Funkadelic albums on Westbound, and Sly Stone is in the same category. But if there's a cult of New Wave fans too young to remember the eighties, they'd probably bust a gut laughing at Shalamar's "Dead Giveaway."

Beat It is New Wave/Crossover?

I never saw it that way. Rock/R&B fusion yes, but New Wave?

He obviously had new wave on his mind. In 1982, only new wave records had that jerky tempo. Soul/funk records sure didn't. Mainstream rock acts like REO Speedwagon didn't.

Eddie Van Halen is New Wave?

That's what I said!!!

Seriously, read the boldfaced parts of the passage again. Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones knew that new wave was the next thing happening, but that doesn't mean they knew the names. These guys were clearly trying to make a commercial product, not some niche-y record for hipsters. You think they were hip enough to hire Robert Quine to do that solo???

I think the boardroom conversation went like this:

"We gotta get that crossover rock audience! What's hot right now? New wave is gonna be big, so we should write something like that...and we gotta get that guy from the band Van Halen so we can get the heavy metal crowd! And then when Michael starts singing, that'll be our R&B sales, so we're gonna bust out all over!"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Beat It is New Wave/Crossover?I never saw it that way. Rock/R&B fusion yes, but New Wave?

He obviously had new wave on his mind. In 1982, only new wave records had that jerky tempo. Soul/funk records sure didn't. Mainstream rock acts like REO Speedwagon didn't.

Eddie Van Halen is New Wave?

That's what I said!!!

Seriously, read the boldfaced parts of the passage again. Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones knew that new wave was the next thing happening, but that doesn't mean they knew the names. These guys were clearly trying to make a commercial product, not some niche-y record for hipsters. You think they were hip enough to hire Robert Quine to do that solo???

I think the boardroom conversation went like this:

"We gotta get that crossover rock audience! What's hot right now? New wave is gonna be big, so we should write something like that...and we gotta get that guy from the band Van Halen so we can get the heavy metal crowd! And then when Michael starts singing, that'll be our R&B sales, so we're gonna bust out all over!"
    I dont really hear any New Wave-ish sounds in Beat It. Am i deaf?

All Popular Rock in 1982 wasnt New Wave by default. When i hear Rick James fusion stuff I dont see antthing even on the entire Thriller album being New Wave or even residual Punk.

Maybe New Wave should be defined herr...just an easy meaning.
    I always thought it was a Punk/Pop derivative.

And wasnt New Wave on the down swing by 1983?

Wait - The Jacksons - Victory Album.....but I wouldnt call them a Funk Band as much as Jackie talks about mining the genre. The song is actually more R&B/New Wave.

Commercially, no. Musically, HELL YES!!

Remember: Michael Jackson and them were TRYING to go new wave. I never said they got it right. Jacko wasn't new wave any more than the Cowsills were psychedelic.

Remember: Michael Jackson and them were TRYING to go new wave. I never said they got it right. Jacko wasn't new wave any more than the Cowsills were psychedelic.

No doubt.

So what are your cutoff points for New Wave.....Radio & Musical?

• Which vivian goldman?

No doubt.

For me personally - and I know this ain't a popular opinion - but musically, I liked the earliest new wave from say, '78-'81 (the "skinny tie" era), when it was still basically power pop. Around '82 it started tilting towards dance music, with bands like Duran Duran, Depeche Mode and Human League entering the picture. And that's when I lose interest.

As far as the radio? I dunno, I'm guessing mid-eighties? I was in college by then and wasn't paying close attention to the radio that much, but I do remember that whole synth sound was still around in '87, but wasn't the dominant thing like it was in '84.

If anything, I remember that all these classic-rock dinosaurs were coming on with a vengeance (Genesis had a big resurgence around '86 or so), and giving the Duran types serious competition on the radio. But then again, I was off into some other shit and buying obscure records like crazy, so I had no use for the airwaves by then.

What are YOUR cutoff points?

No doubt.

For me personally - and I know this ain't a popular opinion - but musically, I liked the earliest new wave from say, '78-'81 (the "skinny tie" era), when it was still basically power pop. Around '82 it started tilting towards dance music, with bands like Duran Duran, Depeche Mode and Human League entering the picture. And that's when I lose interest.

As far as the radio? I dunno, I'm guessing mid-eighties? I was in college by then and wasn't paying close attention to the radio that much, but I do remember that whole synth sound was still around in '87, but wasn't the dominant thing like it was in '84.

If anything, I remember that all these classic-rock dinosaurs were coming on with a vengeance (Genesis had a big resurgence around '86 or so), and giving the Duran types serious competition on the radio. But then again, I was off into some other shit and buying obscure records like crazy, so I had no use for the airwaves by then.

What are YOUR cutoff points?

I would probably cut it off by 83/84. I wasnt really checkin at that time. My highschool peers were doin Duran Duran and the like. By that time Funk Bands were not nearly as dominant as they were before.
    That synth/electro shit was more popular w/ Hip Hop coming up. Im not a New Wave "chronicler".

There's definitley a gang of R&B/New Wave but I more interested in the Funk side of the fusion.
    It seemed to be more natural - "79-81" than the radio/pop/r&B cats who were hopping on a "formula/image".

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Which vivian goldman?

Which vivian goldman?

Huh?

• I think this qualifies

The Equals - Mystic Syster

I think this qualifies

The Equals - Mystic Syster

The Equals still existed into the new wave era?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I keep on looking at this thread and seeing "NEW WAVE/PUNK FONT" and thinking about some cool writing that looks like lightning bolts, perhaps like that old store "Heaven" or "Skinz" (pre "Zipperhead" for the Philly folk.) Y'all should CHOOSE LIFE, for real. Let's take it back like that!

But on the real, PUNKFONK begins and ends with Larry Blackmon's cod-piece.

Speaking of, my man Ralph back in the day proposed a Larry Blackmon VS Steve Arrington battle, AKA the battle of the OWWW VS the AAIIII. Still waiting for that day.

Funk Band?

• ChappuhChappuh 53 Posts

this is a good lp. glad someone mentioned acr, IS THE SHIT!
    sometimes there's nothing funkier than some stoic/monotone stuff.

If this was about the total "fusion" Id recommend......

But Funk bands they're not.

They funk w/ the idea on this album.

• does this count?

does this count?

Where's the Funk?

After Hi School

• HamHam 872 Posts

They funk w/ the idea on this album.

hell yes, Video Kid =