NEW WAVE/PUNK FONK?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Funk Band?

For some reason the doctor bandmember w/shades & long hair is particularly menacing.

rest in peace

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    ACR ARE THE TRUTH!!!

????

Is that really ACR??? That's gnarly -- totally bizarre to see them doing something like that.

Supergood said:
    maybe:

Dazz Band
    ConFunkShun
    Ozone

Seems like a lot of the larger funk bands of that era incorporated just a little bit of Rock/New Wave in the early 80s.

SG

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Talking Heads and tom tom club had a semi merger with the pfunk family in the early eighties and they had a definite punk edge.

Tackhead - more new wave earty 80's funk with a punk esthetic

Defunkt

Devo

Tom Tom Club

Id say some Clash and B.A.D. also fits in the category wave-punk-funk

BONUS: Sigue Sigue Sputnik

those arent Funk bands

i thought you were after a mix of wave/punk/funk theres a dash of it all in those tracks imo

• I'm surpised no one mentioned the Aural Exciters. I know..."not a funk band", but Bob Blank worked with bands like Instant Funk and James Chance and the Contortions etc. Not a bad party record.
    Attached files

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I did a Texas Punk Funk mix for the 2011 Waxidermy Mix Swap. If anyone would like a copy send me a PM.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

staxwax said:
    i thought you were after a mix of wave/punk/funk theres a dash of it all in those tracks imo

R.I.F.

I find Funk bands dabbling in New Wave more fascinating than Talking Heads gettin' funky.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    No Wave Funk.
    This is a weird clip, it takes about 50 seconds in for the song to start. Killer track!

Frank said:
    No Wave Funk.
    This is a weird clip, it takes about 50 seconds in for the song to start. Killer track!

Funky Not Funk ??

b/w

James White is rockin DB Cooper hair!!!

batmon said:
    staxwax said:

R.I.F.

I find Funk bands dabbling in New Wave more fascinating than Talking Heads gettin' funky.

"Who Says a Wave Band Can't Play Funk?!"

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    batmon said:

Funky Not Funk ??

Not to split hairs but that's more funk than Rick James was punk...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    We don't like policemen
    We don't like new wave
    We don't like television

:shreddin_it:

Frank said:
    batmon said:

Funky Not Funk ??

And ill agree yet guys who were already doing the fusion like DeFunkt and the other bands doesnt really intrigue me in this instance.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

This LP has a track called Punkathon Affair. Can't remember much about it though, apart from that it wasn't a keeper.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    batmon said:
    Frank said:
    batmon said:

Funky Not Funk ??

And ill agree yet guys who were already doing the fusion like DeFunkt and the other bands doesnt really intrigue me in this instance.

I think I understand your angle but by the time punk came around there weren't too many funk bands still around and those who were were probably all well established and well... old. Why should they try and connect with a subculture that for the outsider must have looked threatening and aggressive. Once punk turned into a fashion, pink wigs and studded belts and leather jackets found their way into the disco but those were fashion statements nothing more.

This is also not what you're looking for but great music nevertheless:

this record confused the fusk out of me when it came out - bootsy in a weird arty hard rock bag with buckethead, and bill laswell on the boards. space bass kicks in at 4:30

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    djsheep said:
    ACR ARE THE TRUTH!!!

A certain ratio is easily my favorite band discussed in this thread so far. I covered Do the du last Halloween.

Of course nobody knows or cares who they are in my city. My favorite part is when Ms. Liz gets mad at me at the end of the video cause I was making too many noises.

- spidey

• local one-hit-wonder that played a bunch of my high school dances...not really punk funk, maybe urban rock, I dont know what to call this

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Does Liquid Liquid count? Or is that No wave? I forget.

- spidey

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    local one-hit-wonder that played a bunch of my high school dances...not really punk funk, maybe urban rock, I dont know what to call this

Rad!
    Dopamine Flux should cover that

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts