ALLEN IVERSON APPRECIATION (NBA-related)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
If I were living in Philly, he'd be my embattled superhero, much like my favorite ballplayer in LA. The reason why i'm saying this is because he's fuckin' dude. I just saw an interview with Steven A. Smith at Quite Frankly and I like him even more now than before. He was talking about all the negative uptight influences in Philly and how that affects his media image. Mo Cheeks is apparently going to be coach and he's very excited to play for him. Basically, show your appreciation for Allen fuckin' Iverson.You can't buy heart in the NBA.

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    fuck yeah!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    we will welcome him in Boston

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    whenever i hear that sort of talk i cover my ears and do the la-la-la-la i can't hear you thing that kids do.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    I completely agree with your thoughts on AI.
    Just want to point out that Mo Cheeks was the coach in Philadelphia this season. Maybe this was an old interview.

• i hear the sixers might trade for chris webber

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Yea I was trippin' it was from 2005 that they were replaying. I'd love to see what AI can do on another team with a more suitable dynamic of players, but if I were a Philly fan, I'd be crying about the trade rumors.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Yea I was trippin' it was from 2005 that they were replaying. I'd love to see what AI can do on another team with a more suitable dynamic of players, but if I were a Philly fan, I'd be crying about the trade rumors.

i am a Philly fan and i am not crying about the rumors. Don't get me wrong, i like watching him play, but after the last four seasons or so it is time (past time actually) for us to try something new. Iverson makes great plays and is tough as hell, but our chemistry as a team just hasn't been there for a while. One thing i like about Philly is that we usually have young guns that are a lot of fun to watch, Iguodala of course, Dalembert sometimes, and i think maybe trading for multiple players that are good and have enough experience under their belt could put us in the position to be a really exciting team to watch. A team without an allstar has nothing to lose really and will be clawing for respect.

i'll miss him, but i think we're definately due for a change.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    the sixers are my home team and AI is the ONLY guy i root for. every single other player on the team is garbage. Iguadola is athletic, but at his best, he is a wannabe Jerry Stackhouse. Korver is painful to watch and should be smacked for having the audacity to wear black socks up to his knees. bench players need to know their role and leave the fashion statements to the stars.

if they trade AI, look for Billy King to get the boot after next season. there is no reason for trading him. the sixers aren't a "young team", every player is expendable aside from iverson.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Korver is painful to watch and should be smacked for having the audacity to wear black socks up to his knees.

IMG SRC="http://photos1.blogger.com/img/181/3459/1024/IMG_6326.jpg" width=500>

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Even at this point? i feel like we've been doing the same thing for so long. Korver is a mess. If Iguo can develop a jumper i think he could be pretty good down the line. i think we could develop into something decent behind Dalembert and Iguodala down the road if we could trade away Iverson for some decently experienced players and make a few power moves by sending Stephen Hunter away to a team in need of a 2nd big man.

i think we need to rebuild and i swear to you i heard a weird rumor from a reputable sports writer about the name Cuban and the team Sixers. Dont know how serious the interest is there or what kind of timeline, but i was digging at a shop in the Philly burbs and heard talk between a big paper sports guy and a stats guy for the Sixers and Phils and this was mentioned.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

i am a Philly fan and i am not crying about the rumors. Don't get me wrong, i like watching him play, but after the last four seasons or so it is time (past time actually) for us to try something new. Iverson makes great plays and is tough as hell, but our chemistry as a team just hasn't been there for a while. One thing i like about Philly is that we usually have young guns that are a lot of fun to watch, Iguodala of course, Dalembert sometimes, and i think maybe trading for multiple players that are good and have enough experience under their belt could put us in the position to be a really exciting team to watch. A team without an allstar has nothing to lose really and will be clawing for respect.

I never would have become interested in basketball if it wasn't for the god AI.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

I never would have become interested in basketball if it wasn't for the god AI.

Ha. Snore. You get clowned on here?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    the sixers are my home team and AI is the ONLY guy i root for. every single other player on the team is garbage.

FOR REAL. And I had high ass hopes for these dudes, too. This past season I expected Iggy, Korver, Sam I Am, Salmons etc. to step up and turn Philly into legit contenders. Dudes got LITTLE right before my eyes like muthafuckin' Shrinky Dinks. I'm really disappointed at Igoudala, though. He has the talent to be if not an all star then definitely a very solid all around player. I don't know if guys get intimidated playing with Iverson or what, but if that's the case it's totally ridiculous. STEP THE FUCK UP AND BALL. Willie Green is the only guy on the Sixers other than AI that I have some measure of respect for. Once he comes back 100% from his knee injury, I expect him to be a player.

But regardless, AI has got to leave Philly. For whatever reason, it's not working with him here. The wheels are spinning and they're not going anywhere. Time to rip it down and start all over again IMO. Let AI go somewhere else where he'll get the appreciation he deserves and hopefully the right situation where his strengths can be utilized and his weaknesses protected (kinda like how Brown did things in that 2001 run to the finals). If he gets into that right situation and tweaks his game just a little bit (play the point and get his teammates more involved, less halfcourt one-on-one stuff) I think AI can still get that championship he wants.

POUND FOR POUND G.O.A.T. (or at least most naturally talented)[/b]

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Willie Green was showing great sutff before the knee. Phil, who would you like to see come over in a trade for Iverson?

• he's from VA!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If they trade him, no pg available will fill the hole he left. I would rebuild for the future.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    If they trade him, nobody will attend a Sixers game in the forseeable future.

That's a shame that cats throw that much weight on one dude. Management hasnt been able to sustain a good team since LARRY BROWN broke out.

People don't go to Sixers games with Iverson on the roster.

The best attendance they had last season was on Fan Apprecation night, when AI and Webber showed up after tip-off.

I'm holding out very little hope for next season.

So they're banking on attendance improving when they get Wallyworld as their star attraction?

So they're banking on attendance improving when they get Wallyworld as their star attraction?

Or, this dude would definitely pack 'em in:

Or, this dude would definitely pack 'em in:

There is no Sixers w/o AI.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Willie Green was showing great sutff before the knee. Phil, who would you like to see come over in a trade for Iverson?

Dwyane Wade.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Dwyane Wade.

Dream on......Face it Sixer fans....you need to start building the team from the ground up and AI deserves to get on a team where he can win a title without being the #1 option.....if he goes to the Celtics(he won't win his title) but, I think Paul Pierce and Kendrick Perkins would be a good start for the Sixers to build around.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'd pass on Paul Pierce.

• POUND FOR POUND G.O.A.T. (or at least most naturally talented)[/b]
    I love AI, but the Sixers organization is garbage. He needs to leave to get a ring. I knew there was a major crisis coming when Webber arrived. That dude is pure poison.

I look at the Sixers org. like I do the SuperSonics. We need a management shakeup first before anything will be fixed.

Bring me the head of Wally Walker!

Face it Sixer fans....you need to start building the team from the ground up and AI deserves to get on a team where he can win a title without being the #1 option

The problem is the only coach that could coax him into altering his game was/is Larry Brown. His game is hard to complement, especially w/ some star that wants the ball. I would really like him to let loose on the West Coast, less bangin' involved.

Face it Sixer fans....you need to start building the team from the ground up and AI deserves to get on a team where he can win a title without being the #1 option

The problem is the only coach that could coax him into altering his game was/is Larry Brown. His game is hard to complement, especially w/ some star that wants the ball. I would really like him to let loose on the West Coast, less bangin' involved.

Iverson doesn't have much of a finess game. I think he'd feel like a fish out of water in that conference.

I would take Paul Pierce in a trade, but that still wouldn't get the Sixers anywhere.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    i wouldn't take Pierce. He puts up great numbers, but seriously how many more years does he have. Taking PP is in no way an effort to rebuild.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i dont think we are getting anywhere with AI, which is entirely not his fault. toooo many bad management dcisions. Allen brings more heart and purpose to a game than 99% of nba players in history. but even if we were never going to win a title with him, id still keep him on the squad. for his sake, sanity and legacy, i hope they trade him to a contender where he can fit in.
    no one has suggested a team or system yet where allen would fit in perfectly, though. its hard to imagine him being the second fiddle, ut its equally difficult to build a team around him. when we went to the finals, we had a squad of blue collar role players who had all played together for three years...a rarity in the league.

all that being said, i have the utmost appreciation for AI. easily top 3 favorite athletes ive witnessed play in philly. (who else is there? Dr.J, Moses Malone, Charles, Mo Cheeks, john kruk, gary maddox, pete rose, randall cunningham, reggie white, clyde simmons, jerome brown, bobby clark, jameer nelson...and you have to start considering aaron rowand who crashed into the wall this spring)