The Big Brick

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
I don't think I have ever seen a rap album flop so miserably (and deservingly) in the face of such aggressive and self-conscious efforts to build it up as some sort of event. I am still snickering over the preposterous "King of New York" campaign.Peace, Trevor--see ya on Koch.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Camron too.

Meanwhile Chamillionaire is reaching platinum this week.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Then I hope he saves his money.

???

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

But he is about to get eight dollars an album!!!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I am still snickering over the preposterous "King of New York" campaign.

That King of New York shit is dead. Too many average rappers make this claim.

Is that album that bad? I thought about picking it up.

It's pretty weak. The only track I really like is the one with Raekwon.

I think the only people claiming to feel it are old people who want Busta to win because he's old too. And Oliver likes that "I Love My Chick" terd... but he's kind of old.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    i like the rick james song though minus the 80s bluespop sax solo in the middle. but yeah i haven't really heard a word about this album since the day it dropped.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I think the only people claiming to feel it are old people who want Busta to win because he's old too. And Oliver likes that "I Love My Chick" terd... but he's kind of old.
    Thanks for the review, Faux.

I'll guess I'll spend that $10 on a six pack of Newcastle instead.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

I was referring to Chamilionairre.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    No great irony that the closer is titled Legend of the Fall Offs

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i think i remember reading somewhere that "Blood Money" did better in its first week...

???

i think i remember reading somewhere that "Blood Money" did better in its first week...

No, Busta' album had much better raw numbers (~210K vs. ~95K), but I think the amount of hype (every NY radio personality blathering about how Busta's album is a classic that will move 600K its first week vs. Mobb struggling to have their single added to rotation) mitigates the difference in numbers.

Blood Money is a vastly superior record, btw.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

???

MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Does "NY Sh*t" get played in nyc clubs? I guess I like it but I hardly ever play it cause over half the song is shout outs.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Oliver is also disconnected from the streets. That "I Love My Chick" song is TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, Busta' album had much better raw numbers (~210K vs. ~95K), but I think the amount of hype (every NY radio personality blathering about how Busta's album is a classic that will move 600K its first week vs. Mobb struggling to have their single added to rotation) mitigates the difference in numbers.

Blood Money is a vastly superior record, btw.

Also, to put it in further perspective: Busta's numbers aren't that much better than those of Ice Cube's independent and entirely hype-free release; in fact, their second-week sales were pretty much identical.

???

MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES MIKE JONES

Who went platinum as well. What's your point? Shouldn't be that hard. You hope Cham saves his money. Why?

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

???

Who went platinum as well. What's your point? Shouldn't be that hard. You hope Cham saves his money. Why?

Cause he's in love with his money.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Does "NY Sh*t" get played in nyc clubs?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Does "NY Sh*t" get played in nyc clubs?

Yeah it gets play in clubs, to good response.

I like this album.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Doesn't really surprise me. Has Busta made any classic albums?

I agree that "Blood Money" is way more listenable.

No. Few good songs here and there, but no classic album.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

A few?? Come on.. Busta hating aside. Dude has had more than a few big chunes.

That said, I'm not surprised the brick has cometh.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah, even my wife, who is a card-carrying "Busta Hate Club" member admits that he's got his share of seriously big tunes.

I wouldn't say that any one album is classic by any means, but a "Greatest Hit" album by him would be serious. Shit, count the LONS stuff and even his appearances on remixes where his presence "made" the record, that's kind of big.

Plus I got to give it up to him to be one of the the first dudes to give Dilla love, and on a consistant basis throughout his career.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

The closest in his canon, but I wouldn't say classic.

However "Abandon Ship" is the joint.

And oh yeah, for the record I am not afraid to wear my kufi even in a thread that Daniel starts

Plus I got to give it up to him to be one of the the first dudes to give Dilla love, and on a consistant basis throughout his career.

ok, a very good record.

"Classic"

how many of those exist anyways? It's kind of a ridiculous bar--especially for rap.

I don't hate the guy at all and true he gave Jay Dee a lot of work. I'm just sayin' dude has never made a classic album. First time I saw Busta was at the New Music Seminar rap showcase at Irving Plaza in Manhattan 1990. It was when LONS were getting ready to drop their 1st LP or it had just been released. Busta came on stage wearing these crazy jeans that had the characters from the Simpsons airbrushed on them. He kept yelling at the soundman all night. Their performance was pretty crazy, but the constant yelling at the soundman was not a good look. He always has some good singles and of course I like the Jay Dee cuts, but still no classic album. I might check out the new LP, but if that "I love my chick" song is any indication of the sound of it? No thanks mayne.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Who's Busta Rhymes?