what is your favorite type of effect?

meshmesh 925 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
that vocoder thread got me thinking. what is your favorite type of effect? this goes out to everybody. music makers and music listeners.i am partial to delays/echo type effects. i also like a good filter. there is something to be said for a real nice natural reverb as well. i guess if i had to pick one it would be delays.for right now. what about you?

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I've been really feeling reverb as of late (esp. on drums).
    Before that it was filters. The more filter, the better.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    talent

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    delay pedal

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    soulstrut

• Booze

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Favorite: Coriolis Effect
    Least favorite: Bernoulli Effect

Musical effect: Reverb

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    Delay

duh

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    talent

Ooh, you must have registered for the full version.

PS: Delay followed by Compression, or maybe the other way round

• LuckyLaneLuckyLane 35 Posts
    what is your favorite type of effect?

I particularly enjoy
    - Increased awareness of sensation, including visual stimulation, music, taste, and sexual pleasure
    - Increased mental activity, like metacognition and introspective or meditative states of mind
    - Relaxation or stress reduction
    - Mild entheogenesis (e.g. per Rastafarian users, more "Jah-Vibrations")
    - Gain or loss of some inhibitions
    - Varying degree of euphoria, ranging from feelings of general well-being to lengthy pointless laughter

Don;t make me pick one.

okay, maybe the Jah thing.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

Preverb

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Deep reverb + hard gate = (try it on your kicks and snares)

Multi-tap high pass filter delay = (low pass is also hot)

Too much reverb on drums = (takes away alot of the punch!)

People that feel the need to compress everything =

• slushslush 691 Posts
    a bit decimator
    a delay matrix
    an octave doubler
    and some glorious auto tune
    and a vocal morph to make me sound like a dying swan

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    auto tune

and a vocal morph to make me sound like a dying swan

Pure

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    I'm partial to some nice flange.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I'm partial to some nice flange.

Good call. A big shout out to ALL mod fx.

Waves enigma is a fun one to mess wit.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I love the BASS BALL but I'd go with a DELAY because a delay is also a flange, a phaser...

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    My favourite filter module is the MFC 16. Makes everything nice and warm and cosy.

Fender Soundette is my favourite echo, you know with the spinning metal disc and all.. classic and warm.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    my favorite effect would have to be a good room.

2nd to that would be echo.

3rd to that would be the fire switch.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    my favorite effect would have to be a good room.

2nd to that would be echo.

3rd to that would be the fire switch.

It's amazing what a good room can do for your recording.... natural effects can be some of the best.

I'm partial to a light and tasty reverb to give stuff a little character.

I think Distortion is one of my favorite effects though. just makes shit sound

a little tape delay never hurt anyone either

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    These are my favourites.

Tape compression/saturation:

Is one of the dopest things that I found out in the last 3 years. It is gold for drums and bass.

Spring Reverb:

THAT is the roomsound of funk, love it to death.

Tube Distortion:

Brilliant, makes your material sound like grrrrrr insetad of hmmmm.

Auto-Wah / Wah Wah / Q-Tron:

The best sound for guitars and rhodes and anything else that you wouldn't run through it, go ask Miles Davis.

Tape Delay:

Uhh, thats the shit, fuck the plug in simulations, they are Ok, but nothing compared to this shitty delay sound.

Tape hiss:

Thats some grimey shit that is needed especialy in these extreme digital days. Everythings to clean. Why are we getting nuts over records that are 30 years old ? Because they are recorded in a analog way which brought a lot of things with it that people back in the days hated, like the tape hiss and stuff and now I have to say that those hiss sounds and all the other sounds that were not wanted added something that is deeply missed in todays music, call it soul, atmsophere or whatever, it is psychic accoustic. Those are sounds that the ears hear and at the same time are not hearing. If you play 2 versions to someone one with all the dirt and one without the dirt he will recognise the diffrence, and he will tell you that the recording without the dirt sounds cleaner but at the same time it sounds more empty and colder.

Handmade Volume-changes:

I come from the HipHop production side and there you mix a track and than you dont touch the board and mix it to a DAT or PC at the end. Funk learned me that every track can be better if it gets a handmade treatment when it comes to volumes so that certain parts will jump in your face and bounce back again.

Stereo Image:

With HipHop beats you had your samples and maybe you put a certain sample more to the right, or back in the days a loved stereo effect with engineers was to pan the scratches from left to right and back while scratching. But thats it. With Funk I learned to make more out of panning instruments.

Guitar Amplifiers:

Everything sounds better if its run through one of these, accept for accoustic instruments.

Microphone Placement:

The distance and the angle that the microphone got to the soundsource can be used to create certain sounds f.e. if you place a mic very near to a soundsource the bass freuquencies will be enhanced more than it was in real. A snare has a total diffrent sound when the mic is placed under it than when you place the mic on top.

Phaser/Flanger:

Nice for atmosphere.

If you are curious you should check this................. there are 2 links to the those articles that Gabriel Roth wrote about the recording process of raw funk music out of the Big Daddy magazine in 2001. He is explainig how you build your own ghetto spring reverb and ghetto delay.
    These articles are the best start if you want to record a raw funk 45. (Those links belong to another soulstrut member but I've forgotten his name)

Peace
    Hawkeye

• verb.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    tape delay

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    A clavinet with an envelope filter kicks ass!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Envelope filters kicks ass regardless.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I saw Derek Bailey play in a nice echoey gallery space and he used two Fender Reverb IIs placed on either side of the space with a separate volume pedal for each one and he would swirl the sounds around the room.

I don't think any effect can beat really knowing how to use sound in a space.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    verb.

yeah, what's up?

I don't think any effect can beat really knowing how to use sound in a space.

this is very true. and i really wish i had that knowledge.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Wow, Can't believe I didn't see this topic before. I'm all about Effects,

A few of my Favorites of all time,

- FUZZ, Fuzz is the SHIT. IT's buzzy chainsaw sound truly defines some of my favorite music. Once you're invited to the Fuzz world, all distortion/overdrive sounds horrible.

- Natural Reverb, Especially when you find that Sweet spot on stage that produces a hum of pronounced Sustain.

- Tape Delay, Nothing beats a great Delay, I love Mellotrony sounds, I love all the tube echoplex.

- I love Oscillation and Ring Modulation. Anything that has a distinct Identity of it's own.

I also love the classic rotary sounds. Headphone essential.

- spidey

• montymonty 420 Posts
    used to be

on vibes