The Story of Trap Door

SoseanSosean 3 Posts
edited March 2016 in DJ Talk / Mixes
Hey Everybody, This is my first time ever posting on Soul Strut or any where on the internet now that I think about it. Seriously! So why am I posting now. Well I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who peeped or got the Trap Door mix, and share with you some of the Mystery.

OK, So along long time ago (year 2002) Nate Price and I (being Sean Julian) came up on a huge record score (I mean Huge and I'll have to save that story for another time). But we were sittin' on a gold mine of records we had never seen before. And at this time we were all about finding stuff that wasn't known (or not known by beat heads). Like Psych, Prog, Avant-Garde, Free Jazz, Private Press or anything that looked really wield. When we were going through all of the records we were buggin' out on the Psychadelic music the most. We thought Hey we should make a mix of only this shit.

So I tryed it once live on the Beta Lounge (you can check it out on the site just search Vinyl Monkeys) and it made my hairs stand up. I remember right after my set the two guys that worked upstairs came down and were like "What The Fuck Was That Shit", and I was like oh did you like it, "Hell Yeah that was one of the dopest mixs yet". I knew right then that this music needed to be heard. So Nate and I along side Drew started working on the first Trap Door. We used only the best stuff, and we wanted no scratching or any pitch shifting. We just wanted the songs to play out because these were song that were tight all the way through and unknown for the most part. So to play along with being psychadelic and experimental, we can up with or own sound collages to help mix the songs together. This mix was defintely a longer mix around 78 minutes and was hand made by us, I think we only made 60 copys. I remember we sold most of them through this site. You guy don't sleep at all. But time went by and nothing really happened. So not too long ago but a while ago, I was hangin out with Chris and he was telling how much he really dug Trap Door and the Name Trap Door. He was like Yo would you and Nate be down to do another mix under Trap Door with me. And We were like "Hell Yes" I mean come on dude.

So we started meeting up every week. Chris, he's so funny, he would come over with like 8 our 9 records each time, I would think to my self like, that's it I have like 60 records pulled out. But when it came down to his records, he killed it everytime. He just had the most Insane shit. And on top of that nothing I mean nothing was from the states. Every record he brought was from some crazy country like Guam, or Korea. So we knew right then that Chris was going to be the main selector( I mean duh right, although I got two use 3 of my records on this last one, so not too shabby).

We were stoked though we were going to make an International Funk Psych Mix. Same rules as before no scratches and no pitching. Although for this mix sence it was going to be on vinyl it couldn't be any longer than 40 minutes. So we edited all the songs down so we could fit as many as we could with in that time limit. Now I don't know how the mix sounds to you guys but there is alot going on even though it dosen't seem like it. I remember one of the songs (second to last on the first side) was originally 13 minutes long and Nate got that puppy down to like 3 minutes, and you can't catch a single edit. I guess my story is a little long ran out of room. Hit me up if you want to hear more.

mikey_rocks

Comments

• These mixes are incredible, thanks for the backstory.

I had no idea about the first one until the thread about the promos for the new one popped up and I grabbed it off yousendit. Of course I bought the new one on vinyl and eventually on cd too just because I was too lazy to digitize the vinyl and wanted it on my ipod. I've been listening to it all the time ever since I got it, and just started listening to the first one yesterday for the first time in awhile, and was blown away. I'm still working on tracking down the records from the first one and know most of the shit on the second one is beyond my reach and I'll never have it, but I'm glad I have the mix.

Good work!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Sean Julian on ss? The sky is falling...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    what up Sean! Long time no talk, call me holmes!!!!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    id like to hear that original 70 min. mix!!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I've gotten mo' responses from this mix than any other record i've played lately. excellent job, and great back story.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i NEEEEEEED that Impala Syndrome LP!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Hi Sean!

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    nice one...
    chris generously laced me with the homestyle press and i was blown away by it all...
    like a psyched-out conmen mix. a dream. still guessing. much thanks!!!
    sipreano

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    russian!!!!!!!

• nice mix, I really dig it. but you should unsave that record story for right now!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    This story single-handedly made me want to buy the mixtape... so, where do i get this?!

Also, thanks for the story, not only was it an interesting read but also clarified my longwithstanding question: "What the hell is this Trap Door people keep talking about?!"

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I love your mix.

thank you.

• djdepositdjdeposit 224 Posts
    this mix is def. facemelting
    thanks for the efforts

• Thanks for sharing the story Sean!

Hit me up if you want to hear more.

I would like to we want to hear more.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Who actually owns a copy of "Dark"???

that B***s M**co shit is FYURRRR!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Sean, thanks for the post! Trap Door was definitely a top mix for me this year.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    I can't get over how effing dope the 5th track on side B vinyl is ( lyrics go something like "we gotta believe we can change this world around"). . i lose it everytime i hear that song. the whole mix has been on constant rotation too.

cosign on the full length version, would love to hear it.

hollr.

kg

• Sean, thanks for the post! Trap Door was definitely a top mix for me this year.

• SoseanSosean 3 Posts
    Damn you guys are making me blush, Thanks, I feel at home.

So yeah I think some one asked about the song "we gotta believe we can change this world around" I agree this is my joint too. And Lucky me it's also my record(one of the 3 to be picked). If your interested in it the record is called Double Life -Israel's Ron Eliran. I would love to show you a picture, but it's going to take me a minute to figure how to do it. And for the Dark question Yeah only really really rich people own the Dark lp. I think there's only like 15 copys of it. If you ever see or find an original it should have real photographs pasted on it. It's the ultimate Private Press Psych/Prog record out there.

So yeah on another note I'm not sure who all went to the record release party but Nate and I went all out and made T-shirts for it. I still have some left if anyone is interested. We have two different shirts one says The West Is The Best and the other is Trap Door. The shirts come in medium and Large(american apperal) we have Black, Army, and Cream. I'll try and post a photo maybe Mr. Morse Code can help me with that. Anyways were selling them for $12.00, Chris is also selling them in his shop, so for all you locals go Repersent.

And yeah when I have some time I'll be sure to share the Basement stroy with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soseanithurts

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    how did it take you this long to join Soulstrut!? Get with the nerdery MAN!

• SoseanSosean 3 Posts
    I know, I mean we are in the future right.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts

So yeah I think some one asked about the song "we gotta believe we can change this world around" I agree this is my joint too. And Lucky me it's also my record(one of the 3 to be picked). If your interested in it the record is called Double Life -Israel's Ron Eliran. I would love to show you a picture, but it's going to take me a minute to figure how to do it.

yeah man, that was me who mentioned that track. thanks for the track name. never would have guessed.
    anyway, would be cool to see the image...

hollur.

kg

• Hi Sean. Send I and I a mix dood.
    M. 2600

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Great mix. It's been a mainstay in the crate at work ever since I got the advance.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts

• I take it thats a trapdoor shirt? Erm... do you ship internationally? Cuz its

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    I feel at home.

bout time dammit!

***The West Is The Best***

maybe Mr. Morse Code can help me with that

all you locals go Repersent.

And yeah when I have some time I'll be sure to share the Basement story with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soseanithurts

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    hi sean!

you are quicker than my camera trigger finger

(a_drey)

• whassup
    Sean!

welcome to the herd