CLIPSE FT. PHARRELL -MR. ME TOO (HH hatters sit )

2»

Comments

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Their compression is amazing and always on point. Just listen to the snares and hi hats and how they interact with the bass on their past few hits.

I look forward to more distorted synths and unique production in rap, hip hop, and pop.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    my favorite style of 'internet comeback' is when you breakdown the initial 'insult' so as to show everyone how much smarter you are than the other person. especially when you were the first one to throw an insult in the thread.

"Hate it or love it, no one else is making a "drop it like its hot" or a "hollaback girl" and spawning a bunch of snap music and pop music copycats. "

i don't see how anyone could be on the "love it" side concerning a person behind those original, yet turds of songs that also inspire people less talented to make copycat turds. shouldnt everyone be on the "hate it" side of that argument? hell im probably the only person on the board that hated drop it like its hot, and im not a DJ so i didnt have to spin hollaback girl every night for 6 months, so its not imbedded in my brain, so i'm just gonna stop arguing. some mother fucker (me) is always trying to ice skate up hill.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i didn't insult you. i merely asked a question about your ear growth.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

hell im probably the only person on the board that hated drop it like its hot.

"Drop it like its hot" was kinda boring. The beat was fresh for a minute, but it had no staying power for me. Snoop sounded like he was doing a spoken word piece. Snooze.

Don't sleep on the Clipse. If you don't have "Lord Willin'" proceed to cop.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Reiterating from the previous thread:

- The beat is shit hot
    - Malice and Pusha are below usual standard
    - "Skateboard P" (I agree this is a lame AKA) needs to step away from the mic

The Neptunes are legendary producers - no discussion. Their catalogue is filled with sureshot hits and fresh styles. They bring new shit to the table on the regular, and still manage to make it catchy as hell. Originators, plain and simple.

Pharrell seems like a cool person. Everytime I read interviews with him, I get the impression that he is a stone music lover with a very diverse taste and a good sense of music history. I remember reading one in some teenpop mag where this no-brain interviewer was asking him shit clich?? questions and all he wanted to talk about was how much he loved the early 70s albums by the Gary Bartz Ntu Troop!

That's why I don't get his urge to be in the spotlight constantly. Dude can't sing (ever seen one of those behind-the-scenes clips from the studio?) and his rapping is snooooozy. Those N.E.R.D. albums were poopoo too. Again, he ought to stick to being behind the boards, because that's what he does best.

Guilty pleasure: I like that Kanye collab. It's so slick and 80s that it's actually kinda good. It could have been real good if he had put a talented singer on it instead of himself. Shoulda kept it for Justin or whoever. I wonder how many vocal takes they did to do a song like "Frontin'"?

And that "Number 1" video is so metro it cracks me up every time I see it:

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Malice and Pusha T are the 2 best dudes in the game, possibly in the past 5 years alone. Ab Liva and the other dude form R.E.U.P. are no slouches.

Basically said, the only shit I fuck with on the regular.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Malice and Pusha T are the 2 best dudes in the game

The beat is above average and the lyrics from all three a forgetable.

I like Pharell but i dont see anybody rockin' the ICE CREAMS in tha hood.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Malice and Pusha T are the 2 best dudes in the game

Well that's like, um, YOUR OPINION, man...

Seriously though, I will stand behind my statement. I'm not a big fan of "Mr. Me Too" but all in all I ride for Clipse like no other.

Seriously though, I will stand behind my statement. I'm not a big fan of "Mr. Me Too" but all in all I ride for Clipse like no other.

Cool.

• Anyone else feel like they bit the whole style for this beat off of that "Vans" song by the Wolf Pack? It's like the Neptunes decided to make their own better version of the same beat.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    damn the hate for Pharrell runs deep here. I agree that pharrell on the mic is whatevere, but he isn't on it for me, record nerds or dudes in general. He's there for the ladies, and they love him. Pharrell works, because he softens up alot of rappers images for that mainstream audience and he is good at working the limelight.

Seriously if you want to make a hit there are onlya few producers you can seriously go to that have the longevity and consistencty to get your money's worth and as was said before hate it or love it, Neptunes are one of those producers.

And the only reason you haven't seen ice creams in the hood as of yet is the color combinations are just bad.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

And the only reason you haven't seen ice creams in the hood as of yet is the color combinations are just bad.

and overpriced

and overpriced

Or is it quality.

Cats are rockin those colors on other brands. The neon and pastel game has exploded around here.
    You think they'll produce a shoe in the future that kids will rock?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    damn the hate for Pharrell runs deep here. I agree that pharrell on the mic is whatevere, but he isn't on it for me, record nerds or dudes in general. He's there for the ladies, and they love him. Pharrell works, because he softens up alot of rappers images for that mainstream audience and he is good at working the limelight.

Seriously if you want to make a hit there are onlya few producers you can seriously go to that have the longevity and consistencty to get your money's worth and as was said before hate it or love it, Neptunes are one of those producers.

don't sell the dude short, he's no rakim but he holds his own. I like how when he rhymes these days he basically just recites what he's bought recently and what he did last weekend.

anyways I don't get how you can say you like rap and yet not fuck with clipse.

I agree that pharrell on the mic is whatevere, but he isn't on it for me, record nerds or dudes in general. He's there for the ladies, and they love him. Pharrell works, because he softens up alot of rappers images for that mainstream audience and he is good at working the limelight.

You think the SkateBored P moniker is for the ladies or the skaters?

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    I like this song, but it really needs a good soundsystem , watching the vid on youtube won't do it justice.

B*n- Feel better dood, I will holler later. I'm off to an all-day Saturday class.

After hearing it in a large club a few weeks ago I realized how this beat is. It sounded just alright to me at home, but on a large soundsystem it sounded better than pretty much anything I heard that night.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I've never seen a group move so quickly from underrated legends to overrated average-ness like the Clipse. This song is OK.

• Malice and Pusha T are the 2 best dudes in the game

The beat is above average and the lyrics from all three a forgetable.

I like Pharell but i dont see anybody rockin' the ICE CREAMS in tha hood.

gaudy and overpriced yeah... but i have seen dudes from the east and north (oakland) rocking bapes and icecreams. it isnt a daily occurance but ive seen it. i mean even cats from the hood are on some fashion shit.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    1). BAPE RAP= That's pretty fuckin' funny.
    2). The record is dope
    3). I heard it out of 4 cars while I was in L.A.=STREETZ IS FEELIN' IT
    4). Clipse are the fuckin' Architects of "CRACK IS BACK" RAP. Respect 'em. Even a disco kufi backpack dude like myself was feelin' 'em the moment "Grindin'" was in dollar bins and getting Zzzzzzzzz'd on.
    5). I want 'em to make another "Ma I don't love her".
    6). Whoever is on some "Pharrell doesn't like music" or some bullshit...I got some magazine dude's top 5 was nothing but Don Blackmon and modern soul shit.

Clipse are the fuckin' Architects of "CRACK IS BACK" RAP.

True................ ... ... ... ... . .

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

and overpriced

Or is it quality.

Cats are rockin those colors on other brands. The neon and pastel game has exploded around here.

Price is not the issue. If the color combinations and style were dope I know plenty of hood and regular cats that will shell out $2-$300 for the right shoe. I agree the pastel and neon game is going crazy, i just don't think the combinations and rainbow styles that Ice Creams is doin are what's what.

And if Vans are catching back on, then I don't doubt that Ice Creams can and will catch on... If they push it.

and overpriced

Or is it quality.

Price is not the issue. If the color combinations and style were dope I know plenty of hood and regular cats that will shell out $2-$300 for the right shoe. I agree the pastel and neon game is going crazy, i just don't think the combinations and rainbow styles that Ice Creams is doin are what's what.

And if Vans are catching back on, then I don't doubt that Ice Creams can and will catch on... If they push it.

Truth be told - I think alot of thug cats in my hood who would shell out $$$ for kicks wouldnt for ICECreams becuase of the image associated w/ it. Kinda how the same demograph is not seein Kanye West and the whole pastel polo look. I lot of cats aint seein that hybrid look. Theyll stay strictly Jordans/AF1/Tims.
    The majority of hood cats dont dress w/ that Complex magazine steelo. Not sayin it wack - Just sayin.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Batmon, you are my favorite Strutter on issues of style (Chan's Escada game/Cashless' 7 Jeans notwithstanding). Who else is rockin' seersucker suits in the Boogie Down? Respect.

Who else is rockin' seersucker suits in the Boogie Down? Respect.

Ill post some pics the summer, no doubt.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I thought "crackrap is back" was some sort of pfork-derived trend-fetishizing. Plz to tell when crack rap was not big?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Plz to tell when crack rap was not big?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Plz to tell when crack rap was not big?

Its been big for oh nearly 20 years so I'm asking when it was that the Clipse had to help 'bring it back' and how this is different from Master P 'bringing it back' or cash money 'bringing it back.'

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -