Recommend a good Latin Jazz LP

13»

Comments

• Options
    Isn't a mellow latin jazz record an oxymoron? Never heard anything better.

K.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Isn't a mellow latin jazz record an oxymoron? Never heard anything better.

K.

Indeed. I was just thinking of 99P's original search for "something that's mellow sounding but not light, vibe and conga heavy". That Har-You LP is the dog's bollocks, no doubt about that.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I'm also surprised no one else has mentioned Willie Rodriguez "Flatjacks". Very solid.

that's cause I was digging through 45s all day! Now that I'm back in front of the computer, here's flatjacks on my wall right now.

I love this record

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    Pete Rodriguez-Latin Boogaloo. Some really nice slow heavy grooves with amazing piano from Pete.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts

A true classic I do apreciate so very much!

CUCHY FRITO MAN is caliente... I do prefer the french pressing, not called "Latin rock" but "Yambo", the cover is much less cheesy than this one. Couldn't find a pic and don't have time to take one... Sorry!

A perfect album, you can apreciate from begining to end without skipping one single track (or perhaps one). You can easily find a copy for so cheap... Never hesitate on this one if you don't have it.

Wether it is latin jazz with a great funky edge or the opposite, it is pretty damn good!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I just bought Eddie Cano's "Live at Pj's". It's cheap and it's good.

• LALO SCHIFRIN LIVE IN BUENOS AIRES

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Anyone have a copy for me?

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts
    ....and another...

• magromanmagroman 88 Posts
    This thread is killin me...
    Straight at the heart...

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

This looks dope. Can anyone testify?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

It's more of a traditional Afro-Cuban percussion session...if you are looking for more Jazz with your Latin, you probably wanna keep looking, but if you are looking for the real core Latin rhythyms and chant, that's a great session.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    dead link

• ArtichokeArtichoke 112 Posts

Beware strutters, expensive $ 500 LP... There's also a nice 45 only known by a few:

Also, another french recommendation in the same vein (percussive and groovy boogallo), a bit on the cheaper side but "Kouroundou Boogaloo" is definitely a killer and I wouldn't be surprised to see this one go quite far... Also exists on LP.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

This looks dope. Can anyone testify?

It's more of a traditional Afro-Cuban percussion session...if you are looking for more Jazz with your Latin, you probably wanna keep looking, but if you are looking for the real core Latin rhythyms and chant, that's a great session.

I love this LP. Not exceptionally "groovy", but top-notch intensity.

• ArtichokeArtichoke 112 Posts