Recommend a good Latin Jazz LP

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I wasn't suprised Pharoah is the shit.

He is, but his playing on this album isnt like the stuff ur used from hill at all. Less soulsearching, more grooving.

Yeah, its deffinetly different but I didn't really ever doubt that it would be good.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Surprisingly good stuff. Just scored a copy myself on the ultra cheap. Why did this come out on trip??

I wasn't suprised Pharoah is the shit.

But not widely known as a Latin Jazz guy, hence the surprise.

What's the difference between that one and another LP called Pharoah Sanders and the Latin Jazz Quintet? I have both, but haven't checked yet. Is it just a different sleeve? I can't find a pic....anyone know what I am talking about?

Exactly. It's a solid latin jazz album. But I never associated sanders with latin jazz, but back when this was recorded (67? doesn't say) he wasn't really a "name" yet, just a session musician. I suspect after "creator has a master plan" was a hit (well, relatively) they dug this one up. I didn't have my hopes too high. It's well-recorded and relatively well pressed for a Trip album, too!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Eddie Palmieri's "Unfinished Masterpiece"
    The last New Swing Sextet album, I think its called "Revolucionando"
    Joe Cuba "Pirates of the Carribean" and "Memories of my Neighborhood"
    Mongo Santamaria "Afro-Indio"
    Charlie Palmieir "Impulsos"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Also - check out Charles Kynard and Buddy Colette's "Warm Winds" on World Pacific. Great Latin jazz album with a very nice version of "Cubano Chant."

I'm also surprised no one else has mentioned Willie Rodriguez "Flatjacks". Very solid.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    the obvious

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    the obvious

You even son yourself with RR posts.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    Herbie Hancock & Willie Bobo Succotash LP on Blue Note is tried and true coolout music..

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    the obvious

Not in this case, that's a quintessential Latin Jazz LP, IMO. And probably the most popular one mentioned.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    the obvious

Not in this case, that's a quintessential Latin Jazz LP, IMO. And probably the most popular one mentioned.

I don't disagree, it's just it was mentioned in the original post. Posting your opinions without reading what the person who started the thread said is nagl

• i will forever endorse this one.....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i will forever endorse this one.....

Cosignage.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i like this one.

• Leaning more towards Latin Fusion than Latin Jazz, but very good none the less:

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    i like this one.

been looking for a copy of this FOREVER. One of my first White Whales. Plaese to PM me if anyone has a copy they can part with...trades preferred.

• I think you already have these, right?

This is the purple LJQ i mentioned earlier in the thread:

One of my favorite albums ever.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    the obvious

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i like this one.

been looking for a copy of this FOREVER. One of my first White Whales. Plaese to PM me if anyone has a copy they can part with...trades preferred.

sad thing is i had the reissue and i gave it a friend cuz back then i thought reissues grew on trees. i havent even seen the reissue since.

• Options

K in Canada.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Mr Banana

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts

This one for those who can afford (I was lucky enough to find it in a french flea market in perfect shape... That means I should consider myself very lucky)... There are not only 2 great funk tracks on it, the rest of the LP is plenty of great latin vibes including a brilliant version of Sunny...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i love the billy jo mccallister song on that solar heat LP. The old jader trio 10" color discs on Fantasy are good too, in the latin beatnick, bongo kind of way.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

K in Canada.

Yo K, got a spare?

• Options

K in Canada.

Yo K, got a spare?

I wish.

K.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

K in Canada.

Yo K, got a spare?

What is this? the cover is incredible...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Har-You Percussion Group
    (Harlem Youth)
    the insides are incredible too!

• Har-You Percussion group.

oof.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Har-You Percussion group.

oof.

o.k....maybe next year.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Har-you has been reissued by ubiquity. Not too hard to find for cheap. Hey, to justify it, you probably won't ever buy an original anyways!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Har-you has been reissued by ubiquity. Not too hard to find for cheap. Hey, to justify it, you probably won't ever buy an original anyways!

I'm been meaning to get that reish for ages, my OG needs some relief after 10 years of playing it out. "Feed Me Good" and "Welcome To The Party" are shshsheerrrrtttt cueburnt. And the vinyl was crap and noisy to begin with. Great LP, but not really a mellow style recommendation. Pretty grimey recording and playing on that one.