midweek finds --->

2»

Comments

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Damn! I hate taking a break from Weber & Bourdeau just to see this!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    That Negril is a killer record - and weirdly has Eric Gale all over it. I think Gale was Jamaican. Pressed out of Toronto on the Micron label. I turned up a small stash of them last year but they were all pressed terribly. I've had an 80s issue that played great though. Yours looks to be the original (label green/red instead of all red?) and if it plays well then it's a great score. Usually sells for $40-60.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    how come no one clowned me for this:

i threw the pic in as a joke. when i bought the stack, it mysteriously appeared in my bag.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    finally found a cheap copy of this on folkways
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    These guys kill it with the footstamps/handclaps/ gospel singing combo.

Hell yeah Um, I mean, Praise God! Easily one of favorite records!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    That Negril is a killer record - and weirdly has Eric Gale all over it. I think Gale was Jamaican. Pressed out of Toronto on the Micron label. I turned up a small stash of them last year but they were all pressed terribly. I've had an 80s issue that played great though. Yours looks to be the original (label green/red instead of all red?) and if it plays well then it's a great score. Usually sells for $40-60.

There's also a UK pressing (on Island?) that I believe is better quality.

I found a review on amazon that told me:

best instrumental reggae of all time, May 18, 2004
    Reviewer: Humphrey Bogart "rhythmdevils" (vt)[/b] - See all my reviews
    I have never heard instrumental reggae that i thought could ever really hold up to any of the lyrical masters like Marley and Tosh and Burning Spear and Max Romeo. This cd is some of the most musically advanced reggae i have heard. The tracks are all sizzling with dancing groove energy that is the perfect mix of soul and cheer. Paints a perfect picture of the beaches of Negril in Jamaica. If you like Reggae and james brown and marvin gaye and phish, i would buy this album. its kind of a mix of the four.[/b]

• Options

There's also a UK pressing (on Island?) that I believe is better quality.

I found a review on amazon that told me:

best instrumental reggae of all time, May 18, 2004
    Reviewer: Humphrey Bogart "rhythmdevils" (vt)[/b] - See all my reviews
    I have never heard instrumental reggae that i thought could ever really hold up to any of the lyrical masters like Marley and Tosh and Burning Spear and Max Romeo. This cd is some of the most musically advanced reggae i have heard. The tracks are all sizzling with dancing groove energy that is the perfect mix of soul and cheer. Paints a perfect picture of the beaches of Negril in Jamaica. If you like Reggae and james brown and marvin gaye and phish, i would buy this album. its kind of a mix of the four.[/b]

There's a yellow micron issue that sounds fine. I think Pete (Weston of Micron) shipped all the shitty copies down south 'cause I've yet to run into any of those issues. That band lived hear for a minute - used to be able to find it at just about any record store in town.

You guys should hear the 45!

K.

• Options
    Primo stuff, Tom.

Got a couple yesterday

K in Canada.

I found a copy of that Ray Frazier a couple weeks ago myself (mine's on Carriage Trade though, I guess 2nd issue?) Solid, solid stuff. 70's soul dudes take note.

Also got a copy a few months back. Real nice tune.

Was a multi-stocker at Kop's for ages. $6.99.

K.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

Just picked up a $1 copy of this. Jehovahs Witnesss Curtis-wanna-be goodness.

What? sealed?

No, not sealed. A beater old copy at a thrifty. This record just keeps growing on me, too. There is a strange peculiarity about it that makes it all the more intriguing.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Spent the morning going through three trunks full of 7"s, mixed reggae and soul. Killer shit and clean too.

Here's what I could flick before my camera's batteries ran out:

and about 100 more.

• Options
    That Earl Brown is years ahead of it's time...and still sounds fresh. "French Fried Boogie" is really the Revolutionairies. Funky reggae feeding frenzy?

Love that Keith Rowe, too. Got the 12 of Davesrecords and still mash it til this day.

Kudos Johnny, K.

That Earl Brown is years ahead of it's time...

Yeah I had a NYC Superproducer meet me at the shop after I finished and he snatched that one right up.

The Revolutionaries cut is really killer on a carib-disco level.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    a wee grab of some assorted semi-punky stuff (+ Oz OST)

been seeking a true OG of stooges #1 for a looong time. those pere ubus are great. the residents LP is awesome and the first time ive ever seen it in person.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

mine plays fine. too lazy to take a pic, but i got this copy:

and i'd really like to hear that 7inch, k!!

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts

Love that Keith Rowe, too. Got the 12 of Davesrecords and still mash it til this day.

Yup! Absoplutely killer diller out of this world lovers tune!

Do you know which came out first, the US upsetters one or the UK Black Swan?

J