How come there aren't random rap comps?

rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
edited January 2016 in Music Talk
It seems like there should be. Like a Paul C comp, or label specific ones, etc. When the whole funk 45 thing blew up there were dozens of them.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I've been wondering the same thing.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Lately hip-hop has been about what's the newest and hottest thing.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    lately?

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    There's a few stinky bootleg compilation EP things out there, with misspelt names and stuff on. Sound quality has been pretty miserable too...

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    It seems like there should be. Like a Paul C comp, or label specific ones, etc. When the whole funk 45 thing blew up there were dozens of them.

wasn't the Third Unheard on some random rap shit? i never heard that one but i heard it had some random rap raer. I guess that's only versus hundreds of rare funk joints.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    There's been a few (unofficial) mixes which basically set this whole crazy off

I don't think there's much (any?) money to be made off the stuff though, and licensing would be a nightmare

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    misspelt

• you can't play 'random rap' at a coffee shop. (most coffee shops.) (or retail shops.)

someone who rarely sets foot in a music store might still venture in and ask for "something that sounds like james brown." there isn't really a demographic, yet, of people who walk in and ask for "something that sounds like rakim." just my guess.

whatever became of TMW-Kiz probably isn't a feel-good story.

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    The Third Unheard seems like it must've done ok. I know a lot of people who own it, as well as The Big Playback. The only other one I know of is the one with the Tracy 168 cover, but that's more disco rap than late 1980's random rap. I'd buy them just to hear full versions of songs from Hear No Evil, etc., and all of those rare 12"s I can't afford, or don't know about.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

Probably a bunch more I don't know.

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    Is that Muro/K-Prince one a compilation or a mix cd?

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts

thats a mixtape so it doesnt really count.....there was a rubbish comp called Diminshing Treasures that was supposed to be made up of 14 or so tracks from Shadows Diminshing Returns mix but really only 3-4 of the tracks on there were used on DR

• Kinda on topic, someone is putting out a full length project from the Freestyle Professors. I don't remember ever hearing this record but I know someone on the board (I think UMAD) saying it wasn't that great. They are also asking for $100 for it, rediculous. Any thoughts?

http://www.vinylexchange.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3883

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Kinda on topic, someone is putting out a full length project from the Freestyle Professors. I don't remember ever hearing this record but I know someone on the board (I think UMAD) saying it wasn't that great. They are also asking for $100 for it, rediculous. Any thoughts?

http://www.vinylexchange.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3883

I've heard the ep - mp3s are all over - I like a lot of "random" rap & I find the Freestyle professors to be just MOR. I don't get the hype. The lp might be cool. Who knows - maybe the unreleased songs are hotter than the ep?

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

A Warlock, Idlers or Urban Rock comp would be dope.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

A Warlock, Idlers or Urban Rock comp would be dope.

the b-boy one was fresh...anything with busy boys classical is

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    More Disco Rap than Random.

are any studio rap records recorded before 1984 not considered 'disco rap'?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    More Disco Rap than Random.

are any studio rap records recorded before 1984 not considered 'disco rap'?

a lot of the Disco Four stuff is not disco rap.

a lot of the Disco Four stuff is not disco rap.

Where's the irony graemlin?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    If you insist on using 'disco rap' I will start calling early 90s hip-hop 'jazz rap'

If you insist on using 'disco rap' I will start calling early 90s hip-hop 'jazz rap'

Its not that complicated - the early rap records we're talking about almost exclusively interpolated disco records

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You're quite the instigator, deej!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

You're quite the instigator, deej!

Signed,

Tom Breihan.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Its not that complicated - the early rap records we're talking about almost exclusively interpolated disco records

Well, all early rap basically was exclusively over disco records. Its weird to pigeonhole something as 'disco-rap' when at the time it was released it was the only rap that existed.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Aren't all those Source CDs 'random rap comps'? Or does 'random' mean something I'm not aware of.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I would also put the Underground Airplay series that you used ot get with Ecko Shirts as random rap compilations...

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Well, all early rap basically was exclusively over disco records. Its weird to pigeonhole something as 'disco-rap' when at the time it was released it was the only rap that existed.

No.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I could put together a mean Chicago random rap compilation if someone set me up.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Well, all early rap basically was exclusively over disco records funk bands. Its weird to pigeonhole something as 'disco-rap' when at the time it was released it was the only rap that existed.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    meaty,

i'd be down to compile summin. shall we start a series.