Do you even know what you have?

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited March 2016 in Record Collecting
So on Nate's show he was playing this dope joint, and when I called him I was like "Yo son, what is this shit?" He was like "Yo son, this is that Groove Holmes 'Onsayada Joy' joint." I was like "Yo, I have that joint."How often does this happen to you? How well do you know your record collection?

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    this happens to me every once in awhile. i'll hear a sample or somethin and be like, "i know i got that in my collection", but i cant figure out what it is.

what album is that Groove Holmes song off of?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Groove Holmes 'Onsayada Joy'

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    So on Nate's show he was playing this dope joint, and when I called him I was like "Yo son, what is this shit?" He was like "Yo son, this is that Groove Holmes 'Onsayada Joy' joint."

I was like "Yo, I have that joint."

How often does this happen to you? How well do you know your record collection?

Every fucking day.

Here's a fun exercise:

Next time you show up to a gig early and that cute girl wants to look through your records, set her up on the tables and let her play a mini-set. Chances are she'll play those album cuts you never play and it'll keep you running back to the tables.

Then later you can perform mind-blowing cunnilingus on her.

Herm
    para11ax

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo AI,

That shit happens to me all of the time. I have so many LPs there are some I haven't listened to in years, yet alone, even know that I have at all. LP bulk has its price!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    How often does this happen to you? How well do you know your record collection?

cRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY often... so much so that I long for the days when I didnt have so much but I knew what I had and could lay my hand on it [philly slang alert]with the quickness...[/philly slang alert]

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    [philly slang alert]with the quickness...[/philly slang alert]

No fucking shit!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

How often does this happen to you?

All the time! Seriously, it's embarassing.

ME: "Damn, I've been looking for this joint for a minute, what is it?"
    FRIEND: *Blank Stare*
    ME: "Dude, really, what is it?"
    FRIEND: "Uhhh...'Warm Excursion', you gave it to me."
    ME: "Oh yeah."

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    all the time. but i think that speaks more about the holes in my brain than about my record collection.

One plus about this is that I am often board in the middle of the night, if you could believe that, so I joke to myself that I'm going "Diggin'" in my house... I either hit the basement or my room and pull out a stack of stuff that I either never heard or cant remember listening to and just listen to 'em... yo I find samples breaks, stuff that gives me ideas, everything... then I toss 'em whereever and forget again...

I had an Aunt who died who used to go with Groove Holmes... she was very pretty, Groove is too ugly...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    One plus about this is that I am often board in the middle of the night, if you could believe that, so I joke to myself that I'm going "Diggin'" in my house... I either hit the basement or my room and pull out a stack of stuff that I either never heard or cant remember listening to and just listen to 'em... yo I find samples breaks, stuff that gives me ideas, everything... then I toss 'em whereever and forget again...

I go "digging" in my mom's basement every time I'm back home.

My copy of "Osayana Joy" was given to me by one of my old digging mentors, DJ Jazz.

• I had the Headhunters record for years before I figured out it had that Watermelon Man joint on it. I was an idiot for not giving the whole ablum a prpoer listening, I admit that. But I would play that record out alot even, but I just never put the needle on that groove! Dumb.

I would hear that vocal chant shit from the intro on mixes and shit, and go nuts... I loved it. I wanted it so badly. Little did I know...

I suspect I have more than I know. This comes from probably skimming through records. Or sometimes I found a good track or two on a record, and then I neglect to listen to the rest of the record. Pretty stupid, but shit is time consuming!

Peace...
    FM

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Hey AlienIVERSON,

This happens to me all the time. Sometimes it's in the form of songs I hear out, or on mix CDs, and am like, 'damn that's dope! I need that!', or once a-ko sent me this 'secret' break. Turns out the thing was sitting in my collection for months.

The other thing that happens, is I get reminded about some record because of the hotness, and I forget that I actually own it. You ever forget that you even own certain records? Sometimes I forget that I even have multiples of these things. Hence the time when I pulled out 5 copies of Hurdy Gurdy Man.

Peace,
    D.Casta from Itasca

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    When asprin was in town he pulls out the bretheren record from my shelves. I'm thinking he's gonna play the blues break, but he flips the record over and plays the last track. WHOA! i never knew that was there. Made me realize how bad I need to LISTEN to my records.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    he was playing this dope joint
    I was like "Yo, I have that joint."
    How often does this happen to you?

Pretty much every time I DJ with Cowbwoy or DigDug, one of our necks snaps towards the decks when the other is DJing to check out that dope track. Half the time we have it already. Fun stuff.

Are we in the official night shift yet? I'll be checking on ya'll as I'm weeding through the crates for sellables tonight. Three full boxes so far, working on the fourth.

On the platter right now: Sweet Charles "Flap Your Wings"

Um

I mean "Soul Man."

• I know this is a blasphemous statement, but you have too many records if that kinda stuff is happening to you.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I know this is a blasphemous statement, but you have too many records if that kinda stuff is happening to you.

Thanks mom.

• What I mean is you should give the "dross" to me.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I was thinking this SAME thing tonight (kinda). I was listening to "Engine #9" on the way to Target (sorry Tony!) and it occurred to me I never listened to the rest of that album. Now that's blasphemy Mr. Bobo.

I have a ton of records that I skim through and only rock one or 2 main songs without giving the whole LP a listen.

But yeah, back on topic, everyone has done that "oh, shit! what is that?" only to find out you have 3 copies.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I was thinking this SAME thing tonight (kinda). I was listening to "Engine #9" on the way to Target (sorry Tony!) and it occurred to me I never listened to the rest of that album. Now that's blasphemy Mr. Bobo.

DUUUUDE! Not to thread hijack or anything, but have you peeped that National Soul Review cover of "Engine #9"? SOOOOOOO grimy!!

GET ME BACK ON TIME!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

damn. come to think. I haven't even listened to the whole album

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Honestly, this is why I try to keep my collection down to one expedite. I know where everything is and I'm tryin to keep it like that

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    you guyz are todded.

buttrocker!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    [philly slang alert]with the quickness...[/philly slang alert]

No fucking shit!

damn, people dont say that in other places? they drawn

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

me either.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    buttrocker!

hitler hippie???

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

me either.

bumblebeeee!

its a nice feeling knowing you can always dig in the crates without leaving the house. i know theres some things ive only listened to quickly once. what might have been wack once, i might liking a couple years later, too.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    yep. re-bought stuff with no memory of owning it, tracked down a song and artist only to find it already back home. done this with well known stuff, most recently with 'gears'. how the f did i forget i had it?!? i think you start blending pictures, articles, and web info with your own piles after a while. like on the recent weekly finds, that 'united sounds' LP kevin found, im positive i have that. or do i? its weird. for me, being away from the collection for months at a time only adds to the problem. i bring home crates of 'road finds' and i end up with crazy doubles all the time.

its true, at a certain point, you will never hear everything youve got. at least i wont... but its STILL fun to find more. i make it a point to stack up all 'new arrivals' and at least play a whole side before filing it. this is how i find both samples and tracks for compilations. this leads to an insane 'new arrival stack', but i just power through 20-30 at a time, all day when i can, while doing work or whatever. if they suck its faster: 'what the hell? get this offa my record player!'